Best Gold Making Professions?

35 Human Mage
I was considering maxing out herbalism and mining on one of my toons in preparation for MoP but in the meantime I was thinking of using the mats to level inscription/jc/alchemy on some alts. Are there any major profitable professions that I'm missing out on here?

Also any general gold making tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Death Knight
skinng/mining have always worked great for me
Reply Quote
MVP
90 Worgen Warlock
The best gold making tip I have is to try your best not to spend any. I realized that I was saving up tons of money just from regular things (dungeons, raids, etc.) because I wasn't buying pets or transmog outfits I was never going to use, etc. I still buy gems/enchant materials and whatnot but upgrades for me are few and far between at this point.

It really helps if you have self-sufficient characters so you don't have to buy mats. For example if you level a mining character to help out with a crafting char, that's a good idea. Usually the gathering profs are fairly easy to make gold off of, though. They require very little effort in farming for a decent payout.

Also farming old dungeons/content for mounts and stuff has helped me collect some extra money as well.
Reply Quote
84 Gnome Mage
Do two gathering proffs; mining-skinning-herbs. sell stacks on auction house. You'll have a nice stash in a short time. And don't buy gear, just equip with quests and dungeon drops.
Reply Quote
1 Troll Shaman
I always find mining and herbalism to be very beneficial. Alona, is also correct is to NOT spend your gold. On my lowbie toons on other servers that are not my main, not spending and AHing my cloths, whites, greens, random mats has been beneficial, and I find myself having over 1000g just from doing so.
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter
Currently, as there is this waiting period before MoP, you won't find a huge profit in most places. As of right now I find myself selling enchanting mats and glyphs to make most of my money. However, when actual content is out, you'll find a large market for Gems, Enchants, and Potions. So JC, Enchanting, and Alchemy will make you some money. If you're looking for something that will always provide money regardless of content being released, Inscription and gathering proffesions can make plenty of money.

I hope this helps, and good luck choosing a proffesion. As for general money making tips, just make sure you're always selling your items for a good price. If the price seems too low, wait a few days and check again. Also, cleaning your bank once in a while and cleaning it I often end up with a nice chunk of extra gold, plus doing dailies to provide gold, rep, and possibly some cool items to use or sell.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Enchanting and jewelcrafting for one character.. Prospect ore, cut gems sell on ah (or blue/green/purple may be more useful to sell to vendor after cutting), make pendants/rings and disenchant. Use amberjewels with volatile water to make rings and disenchant.

Another toon with transmutation master alchemy and inscription.. Mill herbs, make blackfallow ink, make fortune cards, sell inferno ink on ah, take half of fortune cards and turn into fortune cookies. Take carnelians from above toon, get some heartblossoms, make inferno rubies and sell on ah or cut and sell.

There's some of what I do. The more professions you have across characters, the more you can complete the process and make more gold.
Reply Quote
1 Troll Shaman
08/09/2012 09:16 AMPosted by Violentntent
There's some of what I do. The more professions you have across characters, the more you can complete the process and make more gold.

08/09/2012 09:16 AMPosted by Phosperus
I actually believe it's not the profession that earns you the gold, it's how you use them.
Edited by Ënola on 8/9/2012 9:18 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter
08/09/2012 09:17 AMPosted by Ënola

I actually believe it's not the profession that earns you the gold, it's how you use them.

These are both very true. I have [nearly] every proffesion across my 5 max level toons and combining them can really turn a profit. However, if you use the proffesion incorrectly, (say, mass producing fortune cards and trying to turn a profit), you aren't going to end up with much. The WoW economy is stable enough to make a good profit without having to try your luck gambling with things to {hopefully} gain some gold.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
BTW if i had to classify the professions based off money making potential...

IF you have very little gold atm, start with gathering professions on a druid such as mining and herbalism. This can make you gold fast so you can fund getting professions on other toons. The reason for a druid is, you don't have to switch out of flight form to pick an herb.

IF you have enough gold to start doing some other professions, my order of money making potential would be:
1. jewelcrafting
2. enchanting
3. inscription
4. alchemy (transmutation master)

A side note, the most expensive ones to level for me..
1. Enchanting-was exceedingly expensive to level on my server (around 20-25k)
2. Jewelcrafting-also expensive (around 15-20k)
3. alchemy and inscription were both VERY cheap for me to level compared to the 2 above. (around 5k)
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter

IF you have enough gold to start doing some other professions, my order of money making potential would be:
1. jewelcrafting
2. enchanting
3. inscription
4. alchemy (transmutation master)

That's how I would place them. Plus right now (at least on my server) mats for leveling proffesions are fairly cheap since not too many people are busy trying to raid, and a lot of people are going through old content.
Reply Quote
99 Undead Mage
My server is experiencing a pre-MoP market crash.

Truegold dropped from 400g a bar to 100g due to noobs clearing out their banks all at once. This has also impacted the price of mats and pots.

My best advice is just to horde mats and save up. No point in selling anything right now, especially if your server is like mine.

For servers like this, I'm predicting the price of mats will skyrocket right before and after MoP hits, as many will be wanting to level up like crazy again.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Warlock
I was considering maxing out herbalism and mining on one of my toons in preparation for MoP but in the meantime I was thinking of using the mats to level inscription/jc/alchemy on some alts. Are there any major profitable professions that I'm missing out on here?

Also any general gold making tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I agree with Alona.

08/09/2012 09:08 AMPosted by Alona
The best gold making tip I have is to try your best not to spend any.

However, if you're really wanting to work on some gold, multiple toons with all professions is a good way to go. Have one toon craft a piece, to send to another toon, to pass on and on. Sell that item for a good amount in the end.

Truly though, it's all about supply and demand. Yes, JC works well, imo, but TOO many people have it and TOO many people are posting to sell. So you're having to constantly watch the AH and cancelling to undercut the next person. Try to find a profession that isn't so forward fighting and work on that.

Many of them are correct to say that a gathering profession is a good, easy, a very cheap way to make gold.

Good luck!
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman

Not if you farm your own mats. I've leveled 3 enchanters, and I never spent any money. Run older content, and DE everything. Even Wrath heroics can be solo'd at this point. Just shatter the abyss crystals for dust and essences. The only money I spent on enchanting was for the rods, and that a tip to a BS for making them, as I had my own miner.

Not if you mine. I didn't spend one red cent leveling JC, but it took a lot more time.

3. alchemy and inscription were both VERY cheap for me to level compared to the 2 above. (around 5k)

Again, you won't pay a dime if you choose herbalism as a support prof for these.

I will never understand why people pay to level profs. The time involved in farming mats is not substantial, and excess mats can be sold for a tidy sum if you have extras.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Rogue
I treat Skinning like an American Express Card; none of my toons leaves home without it. It is very easy to keep it "current", in fact I have often gotten to the point where the mobs are greyed out because my skill level is so high compared to theirs. I get tons of stuff to auction and it's probably my primary income generator to date.

For other gathering profs, I prefer herbing to mining -- that's personal thing. For me it's mostly because, on my server, there's a bit more demand for herbs than ores so I get a little better sales/income, but mining isn't so much worse that it isn't worth it, by any means.

Use 2 gathering profs to make a nice "pad" of cash, then drop one for a crafting prof (preferably one supported by the one you kept) and go to town making and selling stuff that way... more profit ... ftw!
Reply Quote
3 Gnome Mage
I'm gonna be different, and say archaeology as a dwarf.

You get an item pretty much every digsite or every other digsite, because dwarves get more fragments. Some of the greys are worth 50-100g. The keystones sell for decent money (orc and draenei keystones are like 300g on my realm). Plus, you fly everywhere and if you're a miner, you can spot rare nodes along the way to mine for more money.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman

Not if you farm your own mats. I've leveled 3 enchanters, and I never spent any money. Run older content, and DE everything. Even Wrath heroics can be solo'd at this point. Just shatter the abyss crystals for dust and essences. The only money I spent on enchanting was for the rods, and that a tip to a BS for making them, as I had my own miner.

Not if you mine. I didn't spend one red cent leveling JC, but it took a lot more time.

Again, you won't pay a dime if you choose herbalism as a support prof for these.

I will never understand why people pay to level profs. The time involved in farming mats is not substantial, and excess mats can be sold for a tidy sum if you have extras.

People pay to level profs because it's cheaper than farming mats, I know that may sound weird but here me out. Mat farming is exceedingly slow whereas I can use other professions to make far more money with my time. Lets say it takes 10 hours to farm 10k worth of enchanting mats, whereas if i used mining/herbalism and sold the ore/herbs, i would make far more than 10k worth in the 10 hour allotment of time. Or I could use another profession to make money, such as; get cheap herbs off auction house, mill them, make fortune cards/cookies. Then i could make closer to 20k in 10 hours.

These numbers are merely for showing the different ways to you could farm to substantiate paying for the enchanting mats off the auction house. Yes I may not have to pay anything for those 10k worth of enchanting mats if I did it your way, however it is preferable to make 20k with my profession of choice, buy the 10k worth of mats and have 10k in gold left over.

Needless to say, it depends on how much gold you can make per hour compared to farming the mats yourself. Maybe it is faster for a certain person to farm it themselves, however depending on your professions it would be very inefficient to do it that way.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Rogue
Doesn't matter how much $ you can pick up any other way, farming gathering profs is the backbone of the economy.

Crafting professions need raw materials to do their thing. If no one farms and sells mats, there are no mats on the AH to buy -- which would force crafting professions to go farm for them.

We, the gathering farmers keep the clockwork of business ticking. Without us the others are nothing. If it takes a little longer get the same amount of $ as the crafter, so what.

Hold your heads high, Matfarmers! The rest go nowhere without us!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]