SWTOR is $15 on Origin

19 Human Hunter
They are officially mailing it in. I think they are just going to let this one live on life support now. and with F2P coming in November, this experiment is done.

Honestly I think all sub based MMOs are doomed to fail besides wow. It's not a good business model anymore. WoW should be looked at as an exception rather than a rule.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
That, and a 30$ collector's edition. =P

http://www.gamestop.com/pc/games/star-wars-the-old-republic-online-collectors-edition/92635
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Priest
I just paid $12.99 for it on gamesupply.

Played the beta and ended up not buying it, which I now regret. Way, way more fun questing than wow currently and in mop beta. I was happy to see the UI responsiveness issues worked out, will be happy to give this game a go and enjoy the free month of gametime.

The game being f2p means I can cancel my sub and play bgs casually + play gw2 at the same time, maybe keep my wow sub up. Although rift is looking good too lately with their end game content.

Can you tell I'm pretty bored w/wow atm? :P
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
SW:TOR is kind of cool while leveling, especially if you picked a class with a good story. You don't really want to pay for it at level 50 though, but it becoming F2P means that it won't be a problem.

By the way, SW:TOR F2P will have very limited access to battlegrounds. (And other multi-player content like dungeons and raids.) They haven't clarified what "very limited" means exactly, but I expect something like 1 BG per day. You might not be 100% satisfied with it if you want to PvP at level 50.
Reply Quote
89 Undead Warlock
SW:TOR is kind of cool while leveling, especially if you picked a class with a good story. You don't really want to pay for it at level 50 though, but it becoming F2P means that it won't be a problem.

By the way, SW:TOR F2P will have very limited access to battlegrounds. (And other multi-player content like dungeons and raids.) They haven't clarified what "very limited" means exactly, but I expect something like 1 BG per day. You might not be 100% satisfied with it if you want to PvP at level 50.

I got bored at around level 20 in SWTOR. The cutscenes got tedious after a while.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Shaman
I played SWTOR in beta and bought the game when it was released on day 1. Played till about level 20 then for whatever reason stopped playing it and canceled my sub. After the cool feeling of walking around with a lightsaber faded...my desire to play just went away. Gave gaming a break for a few months then came back to it. Currently still subscribed but I am not a daily player. I play maybe 20 hours a month.

All in all, SWTOR is an amazing game and one of the best MMO's out there (IMO) simply because of the quest system. I actually feel like I am a part of something epic despite that its the same old quests from any other MMO. The presentation of their quests are simply addicting and amazing. They also added space combat a while back (wasn't there at release I don't think) and it adds something extra to do when you get bored of the same old stuff.

I'm around level 25 and play on at least getting one toon to max level. SWTOR is totally worth a $15 price tag. But if you're a real casual or have other gaming priorities, I would just get the trial to play till level 20 and wait for it to go F2P in Nov.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid

I got bored at around level 20 in SWTOR. The cutscenes got tedious after a while.

I decided to spare my space bar the abuse and just cancel my sub around level 30.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Its not bad, and worth the 15 bucks. The questing though is really good for the first couple of toons, after that you can't really look past the fact that 95% of the quests you are doing are the same ones you did on the other characters and in the exact same order.

The game shrinks down immensely once the above factor kicks in. They just made things way too linear for it to be good past one or two characters on each side. End game was meh and thats one reason I'm not sure just how much they will make going F2P. The leveling is the best part so I can see lots of accounts full of people doing nothing but leveling.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Warrior
how long until Gw2 is $15, 3 months?
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Priest
08/10/2012 04:34 PMPosted by Ballistiq
how long until Gw2 is $15, 3 months?

Idk, I hope not, I'd like to see that game do well. If pvp balance isn't there then yeah...

My little Sith Assassin is lvl 15 now and just got her ship :D Game is worth it so far if you actually like the storylines/dialogue. So much better than questing I've done in any other mmo...

Waiting for the other shoe to fall at level cap/pvp, which I haven't tried out yet. :P I like the idea of being able to queue solo for rated bgs, though.
Edited by Aenwyn on 8/10/2012 7:41 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
I personally think this game is fantastic. I might be the only one.
Reply Quote
58 Night Elf Death Knight
How sad, I loved that game. Well, I loved the Empire - couldn't slog through Republic content to save my life. Maybe when they increase the character limit I'll give it another go. I wonder what server my characters will be on, and what their names will be.

*blows kiss to Vector* x)
Reply Quote
96 Human Paladin
I gave up on SWTOR after 4 days. The leveling wasn't fun, the instances weren't fun. Actually, I can't think of anything in it that was fun.

Your personal tastes may differ, and that's ok. It did nothing for me. I won't be going back for F2P.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Hunter
08/08/2012 07:39 PMPosted by Lul
Honestly I think all sub based MMOs are doomed to fail besides wow. It's not a good business model anymore. WoW should be looked at as an exception rather than a rule.

I don't know how you, but I will take monthly sub over "free model" anytime. "Free games" take multiple times more $$ from me than sub based games just to keep up. It's very annoying and I usually end up leaving them for this reason (or not installing them at all). It's my only complain about GW2 atm.

So please please... No more "free games", just give me fair sub.
Edited by Semris on 9/19/2012 7:13 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
I buy the game and have to pay for game time when it first comes out and it comes to almost 100 dollars. What do I get? The game drops below 1m subs and you can get the collector's edition for 30 bucks and it's f2p. Great...
Reply Quote
100 Troll Mage
Semris when is gw2 taking money away from you aside from buying the game?
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
SW:TOR's strengths are, as mentioned, the story and the leveling process.

I played in March and unsubbed to play Diablo 3. I was one of the people who eagerly awaited its release to the asia pacific region. Unfortunately, it does feel too much like WoW.

They are also inexperienced when it comes to MMOs. Things like server transfers, LFG, optimization, and achievements are new to them. They couldn't even have chat bubbles because it lagged when used. I thought that these are the basics and should be the easiest things for every MMO, but strangely it is not.

Still, I think there is a way for them to turn it around. Story is their greatest strength, and they can emphasize on it. I hope they expand on the companion system. Make it feel like a lite version of Mass Effect where solo players can just do squad based missions.

I do miss it and I will be playing it once it goes free to play.

And complaining about a game going cheaper, so that more people can experience it for cheap? What a ridiculously trivial reason to complain and it seriously must be a slow day for the OP.
Edited by Goldbrand on 9/19/2012 10:37 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]