Headcount: Monks in MoP?

85 Gnome Warlock
So I'll probably roll a Monk in MoP. I played one on the beta enough to get the sense that I like the playstyle. I'm sure that there will be about a hojillion baby monks rolled on or around launch day, but I'm trying to get a sense of how many people (alliance-side) will be rolling monks early in the expansion and leveling them relatively far.

I ask, because each monk represents about 75 inks worth of old-world glyphs (there will be others made with MoP inks as well). At the same time, I'm pretty sure ink prices are going to skyrocket (for reasons various and arcane).

So, I want to lay in a stock of inks to see if I can help meet demand. And make gold, sure, but if there's not enough ink stockpiled before the 5.0.4 patch, there won't be enough Monk Glyphs to go around, at least not until the initial herb markets settle down.

So my question is, friends and neighbors: how many monks do you personally predict will be rolled on this server early in the patch? Do you think it's about fifty? five hundred? five thousand?
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Mage
I got all the things I need (so far) to level my monk but I will level either my warlock or hunter first. I need to mess around with them in 5.0 to decide and then I'll do the monk afterwards when the dust has settled on the turtle island.
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Warlock
I'm quite sure Monks will be the new DK. Aka everyone will roll on but few will make it t 85 and even fewer will stay as a 'main'.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Priest
Hordeside

It will be my focus for several months.

Working with buddies until level 15 and all of a sudden when we split factions we can no longer communicate? That's a little piece of logic I want to see up onstage doing a tapdance.
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Warlock
Hordeside

It will be my focus for several months.

Working with buddies until level 15 and all of a sudden when we split factions we can no longer communicate? That's a little piece of logic I want to see up onstage doing a tapdance.

Yeah. I have a huuuuuuuge issue with that =(
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Warlock
"I'm so angry with your choice of lifestyle that I have completely forgotten your language."

Or something like that.

On the plus side, (and this is just my own experience here), playing a windwalker on beta had a very rogue-like feel to it, without some of the rogue annoyances. Mistweaver healing seems to be genuinely new, mechanics-wise. There's interesting interactions between your channeled heal and your beefy heals, and real support for healing people through the fine art of face-punching. They even get a better form of demonic circle, and get this: imagine that instant teleport on a tank moving between add spawn regions.

I'm sure there will be a lot of flavor-of-the-moment, but unless I decide I absolutely cannot live without stealth and/or little Pagbis the Imp, I'll be monking it up big-time.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Everyone will roll a monk, how long they will stay that way, ehn that is another question.

Oh and the language thing, ehn i gave up caring about that with the forsaken.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warrior
I'll be rolling monk haven't decided if I want to do horde or alliance. I might go horde since I don't have a horde toon here.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Death Knight
Monk, but Horde. I love my guild. :)
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I don't plan on rolling a monk until after I level cap a few existing toons; this one who is my current main and duel crafter (JC/BS); another that is duel crafting (Ins/Alch); and a third who is their gatherer (Herb/Mining).

Of course, my spouse may have other plans and since we play together, I may have to time share between leveling my current toons and leveling a monk.

But a comment on your original question and the reasoning behind it: Thoughts are, everyone will roll a Monk; not necessarily the new race, but I think ALL will want to try the new class. And yes, Glyph creation is a good short-term gold-maker but quite frankly if you're not already on this, you're behind the power curve; Monk Glyphs are already selling very strongly, at least on the Horde-side.

The economics of a short-term commodity (glyphs that only need to be procured once) are very volatile. Everyone who has a Scribe is already trying to take advantage of early sales. But the demand is a future demand, so you investing in a speculative market that has a supply chain greater than the demand chain currently; since the glyphs are just going to set in someone's bank until MoP drops. With supply greater than demand, prices will be driven down pre patch drop by those that don't know how to sell and rather let an addon undercut by the default 10%.

As a profession, making money off Inscription is risky and I do not recommend building a inventory of thousands of old world inks in the assumption that everyone on the server is going to roll a monk and buy a glyph from you. Especially since everyone on the server presently probably has already bought their Monk Glyphs. Frankly, you'd be better off running TB and FL dailies and selling all you current Cata-crafting materials before MoP drops.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Death Knight
Glyphs cost only 1 silver to put up on AH [as opposed to gems that cost 5 gold, even if they don't sell]. I have about 10 that I keep on the AH. When they sell I replace them. Mebbe MoP brings me a short windfall, mebbe no. But it's not an expensive habit.

...and Revrynn has her Monk's glyphs on order.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
09/06/2012 08:32 AMPosted by Darzul
...and Revrynn has her Monk's glyphs on order.

Yes she does, but I have not logged on my Scribe to see how you responded to the material list; I'll check it tonight.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]