What Is A Paladin?

87 Human Paladin
Being a Paladin is not about Law... not about Light... sometimes not even about Good. For Laws can sometimes be written by evil hands, the gifts of the Light can be twisted to obey those full of arrogance and malice, and even what is believed to be Good can be a mask for the corrupt to work their plots unseen.

It is about Justice, about protecting the weak, uplifting the downfallen, punishing the wicked. Justice above all - that is the code of the Paladin.

When you are a Paladin, you are the Shield for he who cannot defend himself, the Healer for he who is too broken to go on, and the Sword that strikes unerringly to slay the forces of evil.

To be a Paladin is to be Right.
There is no pride, no arrogance in that statement. To Be a Paladin you are right. You choose the harder choice because it will help someone, it will make a difference, rather than rid you of a problem. When there is a law harming the innocent, you remove that law
When there is a man abusing his position, you will undo his actions.
When there is a monster preying on the weak, you will destroy it.

To be a Paladin, there is no choice you need to make, because you wont think, you will ALWAYS chose what is right, not what is easy.
Pray to the Light
Follow the law
Respect your fellow man, or whatever irrelevant trivialities you may do. All that matters is that you have faith in your actions. That they will one day make the world a better place.

But being a Paladin is also about the small things, not only the great ones.

You give comfort to the sick, even if you are too weak to lay on hands. You build bridges and mend fences, literally, and help invisibly with menial tasks. You give counsel where it is welcome, and where that council is unwelcome you sacrifice your own dignity to soften others' hearts.

And above all, only when you discover there is no other option, nothing left of the person you're trying to save but a shell of a man hiding a monster, do you call forth that famous righteous fury and kick him so hard his body falls apart in two halves.

A paladin is a symbol of what he fights for. Some fight for country, some for glory, some to protect the innocent, some for vengeance and so on; what they have in common is their willingness to sacrifice of themselves for their cause. This is what separates a Paladin from other men: that in the same situation where a normal soldier would break, run and hide -the cause be damned- he will fight and die on his feet for what he believes in. Paladins are about ideals, not profit; struggle, not ease; truth, not politics. They are neither leaders nor followers because they walk their own path.

A Paladin is the last full measure of devotion a man can give to his purpose in life.

What makes a paladin so powerful is very plainly stated. Faith. Not in any gods, not in the laws of man. No these are empty meanings of the word. Faith that what the paladin does will always be just, will always be righteous, that he will put the needs of others before the needs of himself. That when surrounded by doubt and betrayal, he stands shining, the one last thing you can trust in the world. While it seems the word is ending around you, and all hope is lost, he is still there. He will help you, he will save you from the deep dark of evil; be it from men's heart or the devils grasp. He is there so you will not give up. That you will stand tall against injustice. from him you gain hope, courage, and determination
He is standing bold in his faith... so that you will not lose faith.

To be a Paladin... is to be a Hero in the truest sense of the word.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
/hairflip
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
I am a Paladin. We walk in the dark places no others may enter. We stand on the bridge, and no one may pass. We live for the Light! We DIE for the LIGHT!

okay, that was a bit of creative plagerism, but you get the idea,

Just need to crtique some of what you say here,

1. Good is not relative, for a Paladin, it is absolute; there is True Good vs True Evil, The Light vs the Dark
2. The Light cannot be twisted to serve Evil, dark powers will at times mimic the powers of the Light to confuse men

Most of what you have said is right on!
Reply Quote
87 Human Paladin
1. Good is not relative, for a Paladin, it is absolute; there is True Good vs True Evil, The Light vs the Dark
2. The Light cannot be twisted to serve Evil, dark powers will at times mimic the powers of the Light to confuse men

Note what I said about "what is believed to be Good" - that is the key item. Evil can sometimes disguise itself as Good to further its goals, including imitating the blessings of the Light, and thus you cannot take how things appear at face-value.

A perfect example of this being the Scarlet Crusade - they were dedicated to purge the land of the malevolent forces that lurked within it, the Scourge in particular - and it turned out they were led by one of the same demons that created the Scourge, twisting their beliefs so that they attacked anyone at all out of fear they carried some taint within. They appeared to be following the path of righteousness and even seemed to command the Light, but it was all a deception so dense that even they themselves did not know about it.
Reply Quote
87 Human Paladin
Amen brothers.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
And here i thought it was all about the hair and free waffles!
Reply Quote
87 Human Paladin
Faith is the Paladin's cornerstone, for without faith - that soul-deep trusting in how things beyond your power will work out for the best without your influence - they have nothing.

Yeah your faith in what you do gets shaken, drug through the mud and spit on, but you never give up. You press on because at the end of the day you know what you do will make a better world because of it.

A true paladin might have lost their path many times, but they never lose faith. He'll be lost and forget why he fights, when he feels nothing can be done... then he'll find something... something so horrible that they know they must do something about, and they will remember why they fight. Then its time for the Paladin to pick up his sword and get back to work.

"I stand ready to defend the defenseless, to prevent the strong from preying on the weak. Undaunted in my faith, to pursue the uncatchable, to do the impossible; to stand where others will flee. Not for reward or glory, but because it is Right. By my strength and my faith I will not - I cannot - falter nor fall."

Ordinary men are baptized in pure water.
Kings and priests are baptized in blessed oils.

But Heroes are baptized in the fire of conflict.
Edited by Calberth on 8/12/2012 6:33 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets! But enough talk... Have at you!

Edit: Wrong thing, please disregard.
Edited by Emotive on 8/12/2012 7:03 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets! But enough talk... Have at you!

What is a woman? A twisted entity of cold hatred that wishes to create as much misery, and gossip as possible in any given scenario.

THAT JUST HAPPENED.
Edited by Bubblenrun on 8/12/2012 8:07 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
Being a Paladin is not about Law... not about Light... sometimes not even about Good. For Laws can sometimes be written by evil hands, the gifts of the Light can be twisted to obey those full of arrogance and malice, and even what is believed to be Good can be a mask for the corrupt to work their plots unseen.

It is about Justice, about protecting the weak, uplifting the downfallen, punishing the wicked. Justice above all - that is the code of the Paladin.

When you are a Paladin, you are the Shield for he who cannot defend himself, the Healer for he who is too broken to go on, and the Sword that strikes unerringly to slay the forces of evil.

To be a Paladin is to be Right.
There is no pride, no arrogance in that statement. To Be a Paladin you are right. You choose the harder choice because it will help someone, it will make a difference, rather than rid you of a problem. When there is a law harming the innocent, you remove that law
When there is a man abusing his position, you will undo his actions.
When there is a monster preying on the weak, you will destroy it.

To be a Paladin, there is no choice you need to make, because you wont think, you will ALWAYS chose what is right, not what is easy.
Pray to the Light
Follow the law
Respect your fellow man, or whatever irrelevant trivialities you may do. All that matters is that you have faith in your actions. That they will one day make the world a better place.

But being a Paladin is also about the small things, not only the great ones.

You give comfort to the sick, even if you are too weak to lay on hands. You build bridges and mend fences, literally, and help invisibly with menial tasks. You give counsel where it is welcome, and where that council is unwelcome you sacrifice your own dignity to soften others' hearts.

And above all, only when you discover there is no other option, nothing left of the person you're trying to save but a shell of a man hiding a monster, do you call forth that famous righteous fury and kick him so hard his body falls apart in two halves.

A paladin is a symbol of what he fights for. Some fight for country, some for glory, some to protect the innocent, some for vengeance and so on; what they have in common is their willingness to sacrifice of themselves for their cause. This is what separates a Paladin from other men: that in the same situation where a normal soldier would break, run and hide -the cause be damned- he will fight and die on his feet for what he believes in. Paladins are about ideals, not profit; struggle, not ease; truth, not politics. They are neither leaders nor followers because they walk their own path.

A Paladin is the last full measure of devotion a man can give to his purpose in life.

What makes a paladin so powerful is very plainly stated. Faith. Not in any gods, not in the laws of man. No these are empty meanings of the word. Faith that what the paladin does will always be just, will always be righteous, that he will put the needs of others before the needs of himself. That when surrounded by doubt and betrayal, he stands shining, the one last thing you can trust in the world. While it seems the word is ending around you, and all hope is lost, he is still there. He will help you, he will save you from the deep dark of evil; be it from men's heart or the devils grasp. He is there so you will not give up. That you will stand tall against injustice. from him you gain hope, courage, and determination
He is standing bold in his faith... so that you will not lose faith.

To be a Paladin... is to be a Hero in the truest sense of the word.

Very interesting post, I like it, and shall copy this to my pc.

For me, I am all about paladins, even when I couldn't stand playing them in beginning I wanted to, their lore, their descriptions, and everything about them intrigues me. The holy knight who fights with the strength of their faith and the will of their life, shinning in the darkness of the world like a candle light in the vast majority of the night.

My new computer is custom made, it has a window on the side, with blue LED lights inside and with all of it's fans, and on the window is laser engraved word "PALADIN" I have loved the idea of the warrior who fights for the good ever since I was young, I actually trained in swordsmanship, and long story short I have had my own run in with the super natural which was NOT the good kind. I like to think that having dealt with something like I did especially from a young age made me pursue the thoughts of a warrior of the good and the light.

I also like to think if warcraft didn't have paladins I would probably not be playing this game lol. I love their definition of paladins, and how they portray them.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I salute you, proud paladin poster.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Too many blood elfs, needs some purging.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Paladin
Just wanted to say I love this post. It also eloquently describes how such Paladins as the ones in the Scarlet Crusade and other such seemingly "evil" organizations can maintain their access to the Light.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I don't really think you can lump all paladins into a single defining statement, simply because even with in the class of paladin the ideology of each spec is greatly different.

Retribution paladins are the most religiously zealous group. They are taught to seek out and destroy anyone or anything that doesn't fit into the realm of what is "good" and "just" as they see it.

Holy paladins are much more of the type to try to enlighten someone about what is right and wrong or moral and immoral rather then just destroy them for being "tainted" by evil.

Protection paladins are the defenders of life. We know that there is a darkness that is trying to envelop the world and all life in it. We are the last line against that darkness. We are the last hope of the hopeless. When the bravest of warriors have turned and run away we still stand strong against a tide of death. There is no stopping Death. Death can only be delayed and if it costs me my life so that those I care about may live to see another day then that is the price I am willing to pay.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
/salute

Well stated, Brother Calberth. This would be a much better place if more of us had those beliefs and convictions.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
Amen Brother! What would the world be without its Paladins? A cold, dark place where evil would run rampant unchecked.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Paladin

I was thinking this the moment I saw the title to be honest.
Reply Quote
08/13/2012 10:34 PMPosted by Lobster
A paladin is only as good as his/her hair.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]