Would a Forsaken Priest be a good idea?

85 Undead Priest
From an RP standpoint (if you actually want to fit your race reasonably with your class) then forsaken is a no brainer. Even the new Touch of the Grave just feels like a shadow priest / warlock type of spell.

Racial bonuses are nice and all, but to be honest I actually want to make my character believable in the world. If my class is evil, then my race should be evil. If i'm a gnome, then i'm doing gnomish engineering etc. I don't RP at all, but I still respect the rightful order of things.

All current race/class combinations fit in with lore. You just need to read a little about the background of every choice to understand it's place. Priests are not good or evil, no class is strictly good or strictly evil no spec is strictly good or strictly evil. It's the choices you make that determine your alignment. Who's to say that a gnome can't learn Goblin engineering - in fact, it's a much more interesting personal story if that is the case.

What's the story if you learned gnomish engineering as a gnome? You went to school, studied engineering, the end.

I think you missed the part where I said I don't role play, but anyway. Shadow Priests*** (not holy, not disc) to me come off as an EVIL specialization. You have a spell called death, devouring plague, pain, dark archangel. That just sounds mean. Forsaken in current lore definitely mean (they are indeed raising undead throughout the expansion). So you want to hurt people? Infected then with harsh diseases and be all shadowy? forsaken!

But to be completely fair, my actual point is that people shouldn't just pick races because they have an OP racial. Pick a race because they reflect you as a player and because you think it'd be fun to represent them. There's nothing wrong with being a Spriest tauren if you think that best reflects you. Just don't pick ONLY because of a racial bonus.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
08/23/2012 08:42 AMPosted by Koopel
There's nothing wrong with being a Spriest tauren

There's everything wrong with being a Spriest tauren

(minus the curb stomping racial ofc)
Reply Quote
95 Blood Elf Warlock
My shadow priest is a female Forsaken. I am shadow/shadow for PvP and PvE and I chose Forsaken not for the racials, but for the fact that I enjoy that sinister, evil feel of both being a shadow priest and an undead. She sports a warlock lookalike set from Icecrown Citadel and an agility staff from Bastion of Twilight and looks the part 100%. They have some of the best casting animations in the game in my opinion. I prefer female undead casting animations to those of female blood elves.

I say go for it!
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest

I think you missed the part where I said I don't role play, but anyway. Shadow Priests*** (not holy, not disc) to me come off as an EVIL specialization. You have a spell called death, devouring plague, pain, dark archangel. That just sounds mean. Forsaken in current lore definitely mean (they are indeed raising undead throughout the expansion). So you want to hurt people? Infected then with harsh diseases and be all shadowy? forsaken!

But to be completely fair, my actual point is that people shouldn't just pick races because they have an OP racial. Pick a race because they reflect you as a player and because you think it'd be fun to represent them. There's nothing wrong with being a Spriest tauren if you think that best reflects you. Just don't pick ONLY because of a racial bonus.

I got your point, you want a backstory that fits. I demonstrated that even a gnome can be a goblin engineer with a fitting backstory - in fact a backstory that is more interesting than if they were a gnomish engineer. If shadow is an evil discipline then it is only because evil is an integral part of our world; as without death there can be no life, without pain there can't be joy, without disease there is no health, without darkness how will you know the light?

To quote a favourite author of mine:
"One day when I was a young boy on holiday in Überwald I was walking along the bank of a stream when I saw a mother otter with her cubs. A very endearing sight, I’m sure you will agree, and even as I watched, the mother otter dived into the water and came up with a plump salmon, which she subdued and dragged on to a half-submerged log. As she ate it, while of course it was still alive, the body split and I remember to this day the sweet pinkness of its roes as they spilled out, much to the delight of the baby otters who scrambled over themselves to feed on the delicacy. One of nature’s wonders, gentlemen: mother and children dining upon mother and children. And that’s when I first learned about evil. It is built into the very nature of the universe. Every world spins in pain. If there is any kind of supreme being, I told myself, it is up to all of us to become his moral superior."
~Lord Havelock Vetinari (Terry Pratchett, Unseen Academicals)

So if you don't accept that notion then it falls to how a shadowpriest chooses to wield their power that can be judged by some moral code or other; but the power itself is neither good nor evil. Likewise, the foresaken undead should be judged not by their cursed resurrected birth but rather by the actions they take in this world.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest

I got your point, you want a backstory that fits. I demonstrated that even a gnome can be a goblin engineer with a fitting backstory - in fact a backstory that is more interesting than if they were a gnomish engineer. If shadow is an evil discipline then it is only because evil is an integral part of our world; as without death there can be no life, without pain there can't be joy, without disease there is no health, without darkness how will you know the light?

To quote a favourite author of mine:
"One day when I was a young boy on holiday in Überwald I was walking along the bank of a stream when I saw a mother otter with her cubs. A very endearing sight, I’m sure you will agree, and even as I watched, the mother otter dived into the water and came up with a plump salmon, which she subdued and dragged on to a half-submerged log. As she ate it, while of course it was still alive, the body split and I remember to this day the sweet pinkness of its roes as they spilled out, much to the delight of the baby otters who scrambled over themselves to feed on the delicacy. One of nature’s wonders, gentlemen: mother and children dining upon mother and children. And that’s when I first learned about evil. It is built into the very nature of the universe. Every world spins in pain. If there is any kind of supreme being, I told myself, it is up to all of us to become his moral superior."
~Lord Havelock Vetinari (Terry Pratchett, Unseen Academicals)

So if you don't accept that notion then it falls to how a shadowpriest chooses to wield their power that can be judged by some moral code or other; but the power itself is neither good nor evil. Likewise, the foresaken undead should be judged not by their cursed resurrected birth but rather by the actions they take in this world.

To be quite frank you put much more thought into your Wow characters than I do. Which is actually a high compliment because you're obviously very imaginative and spirited with how you play the game. And your point about any character being anything based on how they wield their power instead of who they are or where they're from is very understandable.

I personally went Forsaken with my Shadow Priest (was originally a dranei) because I wanted to feel evil. I like dwelling in the undercity /laughing on my forsaken in between queue's. It makes more sense to my brain than a race who naturally worships the Naaru. Could I in my head pictured my Draenei as evil? Yeah. But it's easier to let the game do the work for me in that particular area of the game. AKA: I dont role play.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]