5.0.4 Patch Survival Guide

Support Forum Agent
On August 28, we expect the Mists of Pandaria pre-expansion 5.0.4 patch to release. With this comes many changes and we wanted to take this opportunity to share some points to help make this transition as smooth as possible.

As an additional note, the Arena and Rated Battleground Season 11 also ends on August 28th.

1. All raid lockouts will be reset.

2. The new talent and glyph system will be going live, so remember to reassign your talents once you are in-game. Mists of Pandaria Talent Calculator

3. It is highly recommended that you do a full UI reset prior to logging in. Many AddOns will need to be updated; logging in without any AddOns active greatly decreases the chances of anything conflicting with the patch changes.

To do a full reset UI, you will want to save your AddOns in another spot if you wish to preserve them (although many will need to be replaced).

Then, rename/delete or move your WTF, Cache and Interface folders while World of Warcraft is shut down, and reboot your system.

4. As always, it's important to remember to get your AddOns from a trusted source. If you use a search engine, make absolutely certain your destination is not a lookalike site from a sponsored ad that may contain malware. More information on security.

5. While certainly not mandatory, you may find that logging out prior to the patch in a quiet area may make your first login after the patch a little faster. A nice isolated place with as few players as possible will yield the best results.

6. PTR patch notes might be worth a quick glance, many mechanics have changed.

7. MAC USERS: Mac OS X 10.5 Not Supported for Mists -

If you have any questions or concerns about drivers or other technical issues, please feel free to visit our Technical Support Forums.

Mac Tech Forum
PC Tech Forum

Other helpful related links.

Blog Version of the survival guide!

Tech Tips for Patch 5.0.4

Patch 5.0.4 ends support for older video cards

Currency Conversion Before and After Mists of Pandaria

Scroll of Resurrection Update for Mists of Pandaria

Account-wide Pets with Patch 5.0.4

Save Your Chat Logs

World of Warcraft patch 5.0.4 features (wow)
(YouTube Video)

5.0.4 Known Issues List

Post-Patch Addendum - CROSS BATTLE.NET TRANSFERS - Pets

Please be aware that pets do not travel with characters across different Battle.net accounts now, post-patch. Caging functionality will not be in until Mists is released.

Once caging is in, you'll have the option to cage up and take with you the pets you want during such a move - or handing them off, but right now, that is NOT an option.
Edited by Orlyia on 8/30/2012 2:33 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Paladin
I'm happy that it comes at that time, but this wasn't supposed to be a sticky locked?
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
never
Reply Quote
85 Human Mage
Is there a manual download link for those of us overseas and stuck behind a University firewall? Much thanks. Google fu failing hard :*.
Reply Quote
87 Human Death Knight
08/17/2012 01:39 AMPosted by Thursdays
Is there a manual download link for those of us overseas and stuck behind a University firewall? Much thanks. Google fu failing hard :*.

I think you are able to turn off the peer to peer function, this is usually what University's and block is P2P Downloads, if you shut off the p2p it will be the automatic download. isntead of severl people adding to the download.
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
90 Draenei Mage
08/17/2012 01:39 AMPosted by Thursdays

MoP prepatch data direct links :

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1qxaioeItfUU8A8t_tuj4IiKGIT67kF5gg_t3ZMVsBB4/edit
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
90 Draenei Mage
Surviving patch day Addon Madness !

http://worldofwarcraft.livejournal.com/8666033.html
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Shaman
will there be any nerfs to xp needed to level from 80 to 85?
Like they did in previous expansions
Reply Quote
MVP - Customer Support
90 Tauren Druid
Bashiok seems to have stolen this thread title and posted a similar guide, more oriented towards gameplay:
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/7045643/504_Survival_Guide-8_24_2012
"As with other situations, the key seems to be giving Jayne a heavy stick and standing back." -- Inara
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
Yup, although I don't think he stole anything :P

I've been adding other helpful links at the bottom of the original article today.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Rogue
Here is a idea, instead of going on with this one toon has it mount / achievements thing, then why in god's name have you all not done this with our heirlooms? Want to see people stay then give them the ability to go to another server and NOT to have to grind out to get somewhere. i mean if my level 40 toon on whisperwind is gonna have a travelers tundra because my lvl 85 does on wymrest accord. Then why cant my hunter on whisperwind have the heirlooms that my toon on wyrmrest accoed has? do you see that? If it works on achievements and mounts, their is absolutely no reason it can not work the other way. except............... well there is no reason. who cares about the mounts i wanna level a toon on a different server with the same ease as i did on WRA. Honestly i am waiting to be told why this has never been implemented, becasue to be honest I see it keeping even more people here
let go of the fact you want to make 20 dollars for a server transfer ( so that they can take heirlooms and other miscellaneous stuff over ). Heck you never know people may stay around even longer because they can move around and do different things on another server without it costing them ( well in my case its $22 a month for my water ) say bill money to do so. Since last time i checked you still make money from them just being online, expansions, authenticator's ( one time fee i know ), mount's pet's and so on from the blizzard store.
Come on blizzard wake up and let our heirloom's be ACTUALLY ACCOUNT BOUND like it says and be able to move them where we want
Reply Quote
86 Human Death Knight
Thank you Orlyia, much appreciated
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Warlock
any changes to experience required to lvl 80-85 in 5.0.4?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Mandatory reading for my guild. Well written thank you
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
How long is this updating supposed to take? It's been running for hours..
Reply Quote
20 Undead Priest
Was a nice preparation indeed! :)

Full reset of UI helped me get rid of strange crashes. Thanks for great post!

(Still, for my sanity's continued survival I will quit WoW until I hear news of healers having been significantly readjusted at all levels. I've never been as bored as on my holy paladins and priests today.)
Reply Quote
so the toehr day i got 5.0.4 downlond it downloaded the next day i had to world of warcraft downblarder update and it just stay in same spot
Reply Quote
Important subnote: Following the Full UI Reset procedure detailed above will reset all add-on settings to the default values. This may be less than ideal if you've spent uncounted hours lovingly placing everything precisely where you want it, and researching every arcane setting in every add-on you use to determine if it's worth turning on/adjusting.

I strongly urge you to backup/move the folders specified prior to or rather than simply deleting them as instructed in the support document.

<S>
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
Important subnote: Following the Full UI Reset procedure detailed above will reset all add-on settings to the default values. This may be less than ideal if you've spent uncounted hours lovingly placing everything precisely where you want it, and researching every arcane setting in every add-on you use to determine if it's worth turning on/adjusting.

I strongly urge you to backup/move the folders specified prior to or rather than simply deleting them as instructed in the support document.

<S>

You mean like this, Sylth?

To do a full reset UI, you will want to save your AddOns in another spot if you wish to preserve them (although many will need to be replaced).

Then, rename/delete or move your WTF, Cache and Interface folders while World of Warcraft is shut down, and reboot your system.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]