Changes in MoP

90 Human Paladin
Hi
Is there any documentation on how the API might be changing with MoP? Account-shared achievements, pets, and the like - how will this affect the Armory API? Will the data simply be replicated against each character, or will there be a way to extract a single bundle of information for a Battle.net account, and link the characters to it?

I'm assuming that due to the potential risks around publicly linking characters to accounts, that it would be the former - where the data is simply visible on all characters.

The reason I am mainly asking is I'm writing some pages that use this data currently, for our guild website. I am hoping to have some informative areas that show how characters and the guild are progressing in the first few weeks, including who got to 90 first and all who is closest to next ding. If the API changes dramatically though, this will likely all break - and I'll be forced to decide between fixing the code and joining the race to 90 with my guildmates. I know the code would come an easy second btw :)

Also - if it is changing, will there be a test area we can use to extract sample data to take a look?

Thanks
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter
also been wondering this .. the changes could enplane the lac of updates we have seen besides the focus on D3 im allmost guessing we will see profiles access with your bnet id ...
Reply Quote
10 Tauren Shaman
It would be a good idea to not touch it at all.
Show achievements and mounts for only one character who got them - as it is now.
Pros: less work for everyone, better clarity.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter
I've been wondering about this as well. It'd be really nice if information about the API changes for the expansion was available before it actually hits so we can start updating our tools in preparation. Certainly the new talent/specialization changes will require some updates, and I'm really hoping the pet data I need (family and spec) will be easier to obtain so I can stop sc@#*@@! the HTML page for the information.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Shaman
I think the changes from Cata to MoP will negatively affect every aspect of Jon Jones' gameplan against Dan Henderson.
Reply Quote
93 Human Paladin
08/11/2012 08:47 PMPosted by Shadorn
Also - if it is changing, will there be a test area we can use to extract sample data to take a look?

Sure would be nice to be able to hit the beta servers for testing...
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Probably the main thing I'm curious about is how the talents will be presented.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter
probably the same way they are now ....

would make sence it still a tree just only 1 tree with 18 options lol
Reply Quote
Web & Mobile Team
We don't have any information on that right now. Peratryn will be able to keep the community updates with changes to the APIs coming with MoP.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter
we are 8 days from patch .. this should be fun lol
Reply Quote
91 Blood Elf Paladin
I'm hoping the info will be visable cross characters. One of the purposes of account-wide achievements seems to be so that we can link our progression on another toon when pugging on an alt (or it should be anyways), not having that info visible in the armory would sortof defeat one of the reasons to have account-wide achieves.

Yes we could just link our achieve in game, but with fake achieve addons and whatnot it makes its impact less effective if there is no way to actually armory check.
Edited by Saryia on 8/19/2012 10:02 PM PDT
Reply Quote
7 Worgen Warlock
Not to mention that current beta guild rooster achievement numbers are mismatching the one showing on player achievement window which is confusing. Hope that rooster would read account wide number though
Reply Quote
10 Tauren Shaman
08/19/2012 10:01 PMPosted by Saryia
Yes we could just link our achieve in game, but with fake achieve addons and whatnot it makes its impact less effective if there is no way to actually armory check.

The topic is the API, and the armory is a bit different thing.
If there going to be account-wide achievements, they should be separated somehow.
Now we have "achievementsCompleted" field, so there could be another field added, something like "accountAchievementsCompleted".
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]