Where in the WOW world is Finall Goldensword?

With the upcoming attack on Theramore Isle, I've been considering the loses the Alliance are going to face, but one NPC is still irritating me. The Night Elf in the tower that accompanies, Jaina Proudmoore, that goes by the name of "Pained." Players have stapled her as, Aegwynn, but we all know she is no more. So who is she, what is her purpose? I was looking up Jaina's father, Daelin Proudmoore and noticed that he had an illegitimate daughter by the name of Finall Goldensword (or Finnall) and I'm going to throw it out there and say that I think that nelf NPC is her. What do you guys think? If it's her, I hope she doesn't get killed in the upcoming attack.

If I am totally wrong about this "Pained's" identity, let me know who it is please. :D
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Priest
It is highly doubtful, because this would require Daelin to have met a Night elf decades before the events of WC3.

My personal guess, this is a Kaldorei bodyguard, perhaps a gift from Darnassus when the Night elves joined the Alliance. Perhaps a Night elf who became friends with Jaina during/after the third war and sworn to protect her life.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
Metzen said she was non-canon long before the RPG was decanonized (back at NYCC in like 2008 or so). Since Finnall only appears in the RPG, she's definitely not canon now.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Mage
08/14/2012 09:05 PMPosted by Resileaf
It is highly doubtful, because this would require Daelin to have met a Night elf decades before the events of WC3.
Reply Quote
Of course! After looking into her and now I discover what you're referring to, Omacron. Just lovely. 8|

Metzen: "I’m sure this will be controversial, but I don’t necessarily consider her canonical, and based on that we haven't really had any plans of leveraging her in the future. Uh, I think she appeared in one of the rpg books, but you know she's just not a character I have thought about, so at this point I don't really know if we are going to do much with her."

But I will note that her sword has a golden hue to it.

Thanks for the input.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
For the record, the prevailing theory was that Pained was Magna Aegwynn for the longest time, until she resurfaced in the comics.

I believe Pained has a role in ToW though.
Reply Quote
100 Human Priest
Pained was in Wolfheart where she "had a traumatic encounter with dark magi which left a physical scar as well as mental scars. Despite the traumatic event, she stoically continues to do Lady Proudmoore's will and stubbornly refuses to accept any help."

Been dying to know what happened since then and what attack was about, just a couple weeks to go. I think she's just an ambassador though, it'd make sense for Theramore to have one due the Night elves also being on Kalimdor.
08/14/2012 09:26 PMPosted by Avalena
Metzen: "I’m sure this will be controversial, but I don’t necessarily consider her canonical, and based on that we haven't really had any plans of leveraging her in the future. Uh, I think she appeared in one of the rpg books, but you know she's just not a character I have thought about, so at this point I don't really know if we are going to do much with her."

That's pretty old, from before the RPG books were declared non-canon. At the last Blizzcon Metzen brought up how the RPG books were non-canon. Mentioning how there were things he liked in it they may bring later, and things they did not like. He said something along the lines of "Daelin Proudmoore is Lawful Good, there's no way he'd cheat on his wife!"
Reply Quote
Thanks for shedding some light on to who she actually is.

I had no idea how old the quote was I referenced, but I don't keep up with Blizzcon meetings. But it's nice to see that they "may" bring some characters back. One can only hope.

Thanks for all the input on Pained!
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Rogue
Pained will probably be a redshirt. Her inevitable death during the siege is probably the only reason for her existence.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Warrior
08/15/2012 12:54 PMPosted by Kyalin
Pained will probably be a redshirt. Her inevitable death during the siege is probably the only reason for her existence.
Given that she's been there since the game launched, I think that's overly pessimistic.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Priest
08/15/2012 12:58 PMPosted by Vegdrasil
Given that she's been there since the game launched, I think that's overly pessimistic.

Pained always felt to me to be a sort of personal bodyguard to Jaina who's name represented... Her wish to ensure she receives any wounds instead of Jaina? We don't exactly see her at all in the important moments where Jaina would need a bodyguard, so I'm starting to wonder just what her deal is...
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
Pained gets REALLY bad feminine cramps.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Rogue
08/15/2012 12:58 PMPosted by Vegdrasil

Forgotten ones had existed long before we even started hearing of old gods, and yet Blizzard had a plan for them.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Warrior
08/15/2012 01:15 PMPosted by Kyalin
Forgotten ones had existed long before we even started hearing of old gods, and yet Blizzard had a plan for them.
The Old Gods first showed up in the Warcraft 3 manual. Forgotten ones showed up in the Warcraft 3 expansion. And an entire race is a far cry from a single NPC with no quests or backstory.
Edited by Vegdrasil on 8/15/2012 1:33 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Rogue
08/15/2012 01:33 PMPosted by Vegdrasil
The Old Gods first showed up in the Warcraft 3 manual. Forgotten ones showed up in the Warcraft 3 expansion. And an entire race is a far cry from a single NPC with no quests or backstory.

My point is simply to show that Blizzard does in fact engage in long-term foreshadowing and story development, meaning that Pained could very well exist only to be killed in the siege.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Warrior
08/15/2012 01:46 PMPosted by Kyalin

My point is simply to show that Blizzard does in fact engage in long-term foreshadowing and story development, meaning that Pained could very well exist only to be killed in the siege.
While they do often play the long game, suggesting they created an NPC with no quests or backstory or personality whatsoever solely to have someone to kill several expansions down the road is still an overly pessimistic view.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Paladin
Just watch Pained end up being Jaina's daughter thru Arthas (they did sleep together after all) that was put under the effects of a Polymorph spell by her mother to hide her identity as she feared people would focus their hate of Arthas towards her. The dark magi incident ended up scarring her and making the Polymorph spell permanent for now, giving her the form of a female Night Elf but still in effect Jaina's daughter.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Warrior
Everything you need to know on WoWPedia:

http://www.wowpedia.org/Finnall_Goldensword

Like much of the RPG book material, Finnall is officially non-canon. But having had a long-time fascination with the story, it did sound a little Mary Sue-ish to some.
Reply Quote
86 Troll Priest
how did people think that a night elf was aegwynn?

aegwynn is a human
Reply Quote
100 Human Mage
Because she was a former Guardian. Y'know, the people that were kinda sorta well-known for being almost magical gods amongst men? Given that, it really wasn't much of a stretch to think that using an illusion to make her appear as a night elf was possible.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]