Do you need healing addons?

90 Blood Elf Paladin
The only addons I use are decursive, dbm and recount. I know healers that could not heal to save their life without healbot, but I do fine without it. I use my left hand to push the numbers and my mouse to select my target. I regularly top heal charts and I have no problems. What about you?
Reply Quote
Yes, I have to use a Click to Cast addon(Even mousovers are impossible for me). It isn't a matter of preference, or ability, but one of disability: my left wrist will lock up if I try to use keybinds(not to mention it hurts like F*CK!).

I also use Recount, Decursive and DBM; in addition to my Healbot; Quartz is another must have addon for me.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Priest
Do you want a pat on the back and a cookie?

You can heal 30% nerf 10N Dragon Soul with your monitor turned off.

More seriously: Doing something inefficiently isn't bad in itself, but it's nothing to brag about.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
The only combat addons I use are Decursive, DBM and Recount, and I only use Recount to monitor DPS if a dungeon/raid encounter seems to be taking too long, not to monitor HPS . I probably couldn't heal without Decursive now, that little addon was discovered by accident and I love it. I use it when both healing and DPSing.

I actually hate Healbot and other mods similar to it.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
Nope, I don't have a single addon whatsoever. But it is a personal choice, and does not necessarily make someone a worse healer for having to use addons. It was however very very funny hearing people in beta forums whine because they had no idea what to do when their addons didn't work in beta!

Personally I think it depends on how the addons are used. If it is just a quality of life thing to present the info in a different UI, that's one thing. If you want to just sit there and have an addon do all your thinking and decisions for you, then why play to begin with?
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
08/12/2012 12:06 AMPosted by Jackswagger
The only addons I use are decursive, dbm and recount. I know healers that could not heal to save their life without healbot, but I do fine without it. I use my left hand to push the numbers and my mouse to select my target. I regularly top heal charts and I have no problems. What about you?

Clique, or some way to bind heals to mouse clicks. I do fine without anything else, but obviously more add-ons help performance.
Reply Quote
"Need" would probably be overstating it. I can heal without one, but I prefer using them so I can set everything up in a way that appeals most to me. I use VuhDo because it was very easy to bind spells to the thumbpad of my Naga.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
08/12/2012 12:16 AMPosted by Mint
You can heal 30% nerf 10N Dragon Soul with your monitor turned off.

lol, I said something like that to someone I helped gear recently, something like "a coked-out monkey can get top heals in DS these days".

Anyone CAN heal without them, using ones just sets up things how you want to see them better which may improve reaction time for you.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
I've been using x-perl since forever. It looks and acts very similar default to the default UI, but with more customizability.

- Show health as deficit / max
- Fade targets that are out of range
- Show party members' targets and cast bars
- Only show buffs / debuffs that I care about (what I cast and what I can dispel)

And since it's similar to the default UI I can fall back on the actual default UI during those times when Blizzard breaks every mod in existence.
Edited by Kessiaan on 8/12/2012 10:09 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
08/12/2012 09:19 AMPosted by Feyatia
It was however very very funny hearing people in beta forums whine because they had no idea what to do when their addons didn't work in beta!

I use addons. I am in beta. I knew going in I wouldn't have addons. I used mouseover macros instead. It was fine. I can heal without addons. It's a lot more pleasant with them than without them though.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I heard if you download 20 healing addons and turn them all on at the same time that your raid can't actually die anymore.
Reply Quote
89 Troll Hunter
Nobody needs healing addons, but they make healing for more convenient.

Some healers can't heal without healbot because they're not set up for it or used to it. Healing with a click mod like healbot is like playing an entirely different class; having to switch on the spot is going to throw you bigtime.
Edited by Grimmjow on 8/13/2012 10:06 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
08/12/2012 11:27 PMPosted by Gamex
I heard if you download 20 healing addons and turn them all on at the same time that your raid can't actually die anymore.

Tested it. It works.

On topic: Need is such a strong word.
Edited by Onoudientt on 8/13/2012 11:35 AM PDT
Reply Quote
08/13/2012 11:35 AMPosted by Onoudientt
On topic: Need is such a strong word.

If there was a means to bind spells to my mouse(all of them), and click to cast them, while still being able to maintain the normal mouse functionality.....then I wouldn't "need" addons at all......but since there isn't without an addon....
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
08/13/2012 11:35 AMPosted by Onoudientt

Tested it. It works.

That's crazy, I heard this back in early T11 and blizz still hasn't patched it? ugh
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
08/13/2012 12:26 PMPosted by Gamex

Tested it. It works.

That's crazy, I heard this back in early T11 and blizz still hasn't patched it? ugh

Nope.

They're afraid if they do that you'll destroy us all. >.>
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
Mouseover macros + Blizz UI > All
Reply Quote
89 Blood Elf Priest
You don't need healing addons.
Just like you don't need chocolate.

I find VuhDo an absolute joy to use for Priest healing. A nifty bonus is the way it arranges raid members into party groups so you get a better idea of what Prayer of Healing will hit :3
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
08/13/2012 06:55 PMPosted by Hammrad
A nifty bonus is the way it arranges raid members into party groups so you get a better idea of what Prayer of Healing will hit :3

A very special bonus, I agree :)
Reply Quote
85 Troll Shaman
08/12/2012 12:06 AMPosted by Jackswagger

Healing addons give you information more than anything else. Any person can just watch default UI green bars and mouseover healing hotkeys to fill them back up. If that's all you do as a player, you are really underselling your potential. Having a customized addon gives you significantly more detail about everything that is going on in the fight as it relates to your raid group and allows you to make more educated decisions on how to react to it.

So while most people can heal without addons, all you're doing is gimping yourself if you go that route.
Edited by Druidssuck on 8/13/2012 8:16 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]