All Races Available in Patch 5.0.4

90 Human Paladin
08/16/2012 01:49 PMPosted by Øfaiz
I love it, means those of us that want to race change can get that out of the way before the rush to Pandaria. :3

Nope, race change to pandaren won't be accessible after a month or 2 after the release

Not with the patch but you will be able to race change to a pandaren on Sept. 25th;

https://twitter.com/CM_Zarhym/status/235560382176034816
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Rogue
Zarhym, then, do the starter editions also get to play any race?
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
08/16/2012 01:49 PMPosted by Øfaiz
I love it, means those of us that want to race change can get that out of the way before the rush to Pandaria. :3

Nope, race change to pandaren won't be accessible after a month or 2 after the release
Wrong. Blues have already stated we can Race change to a Panda as soon as MoP releases
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter
so how long till paid class changes??
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Death Knight
this is a very good idea, getting people to create a character and become attached to it means allowing them to actually be any of the races available.

Of course this in no way effects me since I'm a paying customer lol.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Death Knight
08/16/2012 02:21 PMPosted by Rummii

Can't happen.

Allowing someone to simply pay to be a different class removes any and all reason to actually keep playing the game. All content will be null and void.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
08/16/2012 02:24 PMPosted by Weirwood

Can't happen.

Allowing someone to simply pay to be a different class removes any and all reason to actually keep playing the game. All content will be null and void.

I don't see why not.

And if you say leveling teaches you how to play then you know nothing.

Anyone can learn a class in a day or two if they just bother to look it up properly.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Death Knight
To be honest, while this is very cool for new players, I'm not sure how I feel about it. I understand that things change, and this doesn't remotely come close enough to actually upsetting me to any degree, but part of the appeal of an expansion is getting access to the race it offers. Prior to Burning Crusade being folded into the core game, you couldn't access blood elves or draenei without purchasing and installing that content, and the same went for worgen and goblins in Cataclysm.

I don't object to seeing new players with these races, but doesn't it sort of take away from what you're actually purchasing as it relates to an expansion? With Mists of Pandaria, the only thing you're getting now is the 85-90 content and the Monk class. The talent system and now the new race are being given to everyone; at what point does what's being offered in an expansion for free start to detract from the perceived value of the money put forth for the expansion?
Reply Quote
It occurs to me that this would make it much easier to integrate the BE and Draenei starting zones with the rest of Azeroth.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
08/16/2012 02:27 PMPosted by Arrienne

Can't happen.

I don't see why not.

And if you say leveling teaches you how to play then you know nothing.

Anyone can learn a class in a day or two if they just bother to look it up properly.

It isn't about learning to play, leveling is a time sink. They want you to (pay to) play your character however long it takes you to level it up. They will never let you change to FOTM classes and only ever level one character.
Reply Quote
To be honest, while this is very cool for new players, I'm not sure how I feel about it. I understand that things change, and this doesn't remotely come close enough to actually upsetting me to any degree, but part of the appeal of an expansion is getting access to the race it offers. Prior to Burning Crusade being folded into the core game, you couldn't access blood elves or draenei without purchasing and installing that content, and the same went for worgen and goblins in Cataclysm.

I don't object to seeing new players with these races, but doesn't it sort of take away from what you're actually purchasing as it relates to an expansion? With Mists of Pandaria, the only thing you're getting now is the 85-90 content and the Monk class. The talent system and now the new race are being given to everyone; at what point does what's being offered in an expansion for free start to detract from the perceived value of the money put forth for the expansion?

The talent system HAS to be consistent across all players. It's not being given to people, they're being required to take it.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
08/16/2012 02:29 PMPosted by Axordil
It occurs to me that this would make it much easier to integrate the BE and Draenei starting zones with the rest of Azeroth.

How? Everyone already has access to it, since BC comes with the core game now.
Reply Quote
86 Dwarf Hunter

Well said.

The talent system is a baseline change and those have always applied to all players.

I too did a bit of a double-take when I read about this. But after thinking about it, I think the benefits outweigh the drawbacks. The more features that can be used to draw in new players and get them to "connect" with their favorite character, the better it is for all of us (not to mention, Blizzard :)).

And it's only a skin, after all. I'll let Blizzard slide on this one.

I'm rather happy to see most people being able to talk about this without the usual rage and hysterics that typically accompany this kind of change.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
08/16/2012 11:05 AMPosted by Justus
Remove Class + Race restrictions please!! You would make a ton of $$ :O

UNDEAD DR00Ds FTW BABY!!!!!!
the ONE class i want and cant have.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Ok, lets answer some of these questions since the answers are already out there but people seem confused. Ill go in the order I found them.

Do you still need to buy WOTLK to play deathknights?

Yes. Just like with the monk, you must have the WOTLK expansion to play the DK class that came out with that expansion. They are only unlocking the races, not the classes.

But can you preorder a race change?
Like purchase a race change now and on sept 25th, change into a pandaren?
No. Preordering a race has never been a feature, and is unlikely to begin being a feature.

This part aside, does this mean a person could make a Pandaren of another class ready to play as of September 25th?

No. No one can make a Pandaren of anything until the expansion has launched.

Can you apply grantable levels to a new Monk in MoP?

So for instance my RaF friend leveled two characters that granted me 80 grantable levels, can apply all those 80 levels to a new Monk?

RaF works with the new Pandaren races. A blue already stated this. That would make it safe to assume all features would be able to be usable on a Pandaren or monk.

08/16/2012 02:10 PMPosted by Springrunner
Zarhym, then, do the starter editions also get to play any race?
Everyone, despite what expansion they have, will be able to use Every Race. They are removing the expansion restrictions from the races. Not the classes.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
A welcome change, thank you!
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Shaman
I've seen some confusion about when pandaren character creation will be accessible.

Just to be clear on the announcement, we're making it possible for people to create a character of any race, regardless of what expansions you've purchased. So if you only have the original game (which now has The Burning Crusade included), when patch 5.0.4 hits you'll be able to create goblin and worgen characters as well. And, once Mists of Pandaria is released, you'll be able to create pandaren characters, regardless of whether or not you own Mists of Pandaria.

So it says all races, what about though all classes? Just because Pandaren become available for play regardless if you have MoP or not, does this include the new monk class?
No, you'll need to upgrade your World of Warcraft license to Mists of Pandaria in order to unlock the monk class. The same is true for leveling from 85-90 and gaining access to the continent of Pandaria.

Are you going to make the 11th slot available in 5.0.4 or do we have to wait till MoP and delete a character to make room for the panda to play it?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I've seen some confusion about when pandaren character creation will be accessible.

Just to be clear on the announcement, we're making it possible for people to create a character of any race, regardless of what expansions you've purchased. So if you only have the original game (which now has The Burning Crusade included), when patch 5.0.4 hits you'll be able to create goblin and worgen characters as well. And, once Mists of Pandaria is released, you'll be able to create pandaren characters, regardless of whether or not you own Mists of Pandaria.

No, you'll need to upgrade your World of Warcraft license to Mists of Pandaria in order to unlock the monk class. The same is true for leveling from 85-90 and gaining access to the continent of Pandaria.

Are you going to make the 11th slot available in 5.0.4 or do we have to wait till MoP and delete a character to make room for the panda to play it?

If you are thinking you have to delete a character when 5.0.4 hits to play a pandaren, don't bother. The pandaren are NOT Available until September 25th. By that time we Will have the 11th slot no matter what.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]