North American Battle.net Account Update - Aug. 16, 2012

4 Gnome Rogue
08/15/2012 04:36 PMPosted by Sedine
I agree that the security questions suck, but security questions in general suck. I'd suggest two-factor authentication, but that's already in place (with the authenticator). Can't we move away from security questions somehow?
You don't need to give obvious answers for security questions. If it asks what your first dog's name was, you could say something like "j5oxt!#$oieuwjrt". You can put whatever you want in. But most people will put an actual dog's name like "Rex, Spot, Fluffy, Grover, Zach" etc.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
[quote="63509336493"]If it asks what your first dog's name was, you could say something like "j5oxt!#$oieuwjrt".

Problem is - if something goes astray, you need to be able to tell someone over the phone the answer to your question. SO password mechanics wont work well for this answer.
Reply Quote
63 Human Hunter
I didn't like the security questions. I don't recall having a childhood hero, I can't even remember the name of the last girl I kissed. We named a tank full of goldfish, do they count? Its easier for me to recall the name of my least favorite teacher. She had extremely horrible bad breath.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
Well - if you don't know the answer to a question, the answer is "I don't know".

Seems like a good answer to a question :)

Problem solved.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I don't know the answers to any of those questions. : (
Reply Quote
72 Night Elf Hunter
Can't we just go to biometrics already? I mean, if a hacker wants my gold he better be willing to cut my thumb off, and I won't have to remember some obscure question that I'm likely to forget three years from now.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Warlock
08/15/2012 04:52 PMPosted by Kodiack
What was the name of the boy/girl you had your second kiss with?

Blizzard, have you truly forgotten your target audience?؟ ;-;

I agree, most of us haven't even had a first kiss let alone second.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Warlock
08/15/2012 06:18 PMPosted by Nakotsu
As a precaution following our recent [url="http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/securityupdate.html"]security update[/url], players on North American servers please take a moment to visit [url="http://www.battle.net/account/management/security/security-action-info.html"]Battle.net[/url] account management, where you will be prompted to change your security question as well as update your Mobile Authenticator. There you’ll also find helpful tips and an FAQ, as well as instructions on how to add additional layers of security to your account, including the Battle.net Authenticator or the Mobile Authenticator for those that aren’t already using one.

wtf is a north American server? Is there a difference we log in to the authentication server. Everyone does is there a separation between Canada and Usa?
How come only canadians info was stolen so guys say.

Was that english?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I remember my first kiss, but there have been so many since then, I have no idea who was #2!

Throw a bone to your 40+ players, Blizz! How about "who was your second retirement fund with?"

LOL.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
08/15/2012 06:55 PMPosted by Shadowflames
I agree, most of us haven't even had a first kiss let alone second.

Some of us kissed women, and did it 30 or 40 years ago. How on earth would one remember the second kiss?

Who here knows (without google) the name of anyone who stepped on the moon in the second mission to land on the moon ?
Reply Quote
Finally able to change the secret question that I forget and probably spelt horribly wrong :)
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
@Nak

NA Means people from north America.

And i think your english is a bit broken ._.
Reply Quote
87 Worgen Death Knight
I honestly can't believe all the complaining...STILL!

Blizzard finds a security breach and informs the community - Complain.

Blizzard offers a very extensive FAQ to explain what was taken, etc - Complain.

Blizzard offers suggestions of what to do, while they fix it - Complain.

Blizzard gives us a solution (change PW, update authenticators, secret questions) - Complain.

Are you people never happy? All that you really need to do now, if you're still worried, is change your e-mail address on your account.

In the mean time, it looks like a fresh layer of security is now added to our accounts...and we can all have a little more peace of mind.

I'd personally like to thank Blizzard for this quick turnaround. Well done.
Reply Quote
72 Undead Death Knight
I cant sign on to my account. it kicked me off yesterday and still cant get on is this just me or anyone else?
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage

Blizzard gives us a solution (change PW, update authenticators, secret questions) - Complain.

Well - they gave many of the means to update TWO of those three, just not the third.

Having stupid secret questions means you end up with insecure answers, and given that people can take ownership of your account with these answers - it is pretty critical that they are handled well.

Having questions that primary school students might ask each other as your 'ultimate defense' against hackers is pretty damn well stupid.

I have a secure email (new one) secure password (new one), sms enabled and hardware authenticator... and all that is worth close to NOTHING because of these stupid questions.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
Having stupid secret questions means you end up with insecure answers, and given that people can take ownership of your account with these answers - it is pretty critical that they are handled well.

Having questions that primary school students might ask each other as your 'ultimate defense' against hackers is pretty damn well stupid.

I have a secure email (new one) secure password (new one), sms enabled and hardware authenticator... and all that is worth close to NOTHING because of these stupid questions.

I hate "security" questions/answer with a passion, and these ones are pretty bad.

Take advice from an expert and just put in random answers, because if you can't remember it at least no one else will be able to guess it from your social network.

http://www.schneier.com/essay-081.html
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Death Knight

Well - they gave many of the means to update TWO of those three, just not the third.

Choose a question. Create any answer, regardless of its veracity or relation to the question. Write both of these things down on a piece of paper or in a text document and store it in a safe place. Do all of these things within three minutes and avoid having to post a whiny comment revealing how extremely incompetent you are.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Are you people never happy? All that you really need to do now, if you're still worried, is change your e-mail address on your account.

In the mean time, it looks like a fresh layer of security is now added to our accounts...and we can all have a little more peace of mind.

I'd personally like to thank Blizzard for this quick turnaround. Well done.

In my defense, it was Blizzard's security practices that I complained about.
I'd like to think that that's something I'm allowed to object to.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]