New guild having issues with recruiting

90 Blood Elf Mage
Hey i got control of a level 10 guild recently from a friend of mine and i have lead guilds before. But with the guild being only level 10 and trying to get members for raiding I'm having a difficult time due to all the 25 guilds out there and the progressed guilds are taking new players all the time. Any insight on how i can get a solid raid core established even though those level 25 guilds are much more appealing with all the perks so i can start getting my own guild progressed and leveled. Any help on getting this issue fixed would be greatly appreciated
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
You say you are trying to recruit for a raiding guild. Right now when I look at your guild roster I see 18 level 85's and a rank 0 of level 1. To me, as somebody who wants to raid, these are bigger red flags than 'level 10' guild. Most raiders don't put as much weight on guild level as struggling guilds likes to think. Your guild level is not the issue.

Promote yourself to guild rank 0 immediately so people see that the gm and (presumably) raid leader is a well geared toon with proper gems/enchants/reforges etc. I see some 410 gear so you have some heroic kills which will help potential recruits get an idea about you.

But first things first - make your guild look appealing. Get your rank 0 set properly and make sure your raid team is visible when recruits look you up.

Next - how are you recruiting? Are you spamming trade? Possibly post your trade message here. Do you have a recruitment post on your server forums?

When you don't have a full group are you finding pugs and going no matter what? If not you NEED to do this. Raiders want to raid. Not log in, find out if enough are on and log out if conditions aren't perfect. When you do get puggers how are they treated? Whats your loot system and is it pugger friendly (remember right now your puggers are your recruits).

Some people swear by trade chat spam. Others swear by an application process as the best way to recruit. I swear by pugging. 100% of my current active raiding roster starting raiding with me as puggers. Some of them have been with me in 2 others guilds and raided with me since Naxx, but they originated as puggers.

Basically, make a game plan for yourself. You inherited this so it doesn't sound like something you sat down with and said, 'Ok, I want to do X so I need Y and Z.' Get that done. Make your game plan. Determine what kind of guild you want to be. Determine what kind of people you want/dont want in your guild. Determine your rules. Present yourself as a competent player with a guild full of competent people and that is what you will attract.

Oh, and the guild levels will come. Most players realize that.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
Ok I understand most of that but the problem with the rank 0 is that the guild still belongs to a friend of mine who is on active duty he just gave me lead rights to it. For the time being He put money into the guild and doesn't want to give it up as such. So the Rank zero thing is something I'm going to have to work on but the rest of that is great advice i hadn't begun to think of so thanks for the input anymore helpful advice is appreciated guys
Reply Quote
70 Draenei Shaman
08/16/2012 02:56 PMPosted by Købalt
Ok I understand most of that but the problem with the rank 0 is that the guild still belongs to a friend of mine who is on active duty he just gave me lead rights to it. For the time being He put money into the guild and doesn't want to give it up as such. So the Rank zero thing is something I'm going to have to work on but the rest of that is great advice i hadn't begun to think of so thanks for the input anymore helpful advice is appreciated guys

Well if he is not back ingame in 90 days anyone who is in rank 1-4 can take the guild even if he does not want that. So he has to decide,, does he want to have some choice to whom the guild leader position goes to, or does he want to leave it to chance that the right person will be prmoted by Blizz? or lastly will he be back in game before the 90 day time limit

Just somet thoughts for him to think about.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
08/15/2012 10:59 PMPosted by Købalt
Hey i got control of a level 10 guild recently from a friend of mine and i have lead guilds before. But with the guild being only level 10 and trying to get members for raiding I'm having a difficult time due to all the 25 guilds out there and the progressed guilds are taking new players all the time. Any insight on how i can get a solid raid core established even though those level 25 guilds are much more appealing with all the perks so i can start getting my own guild progressed and leveled. Any help on getting this issue fixed would be greatly appreciated

Like Khahan, I'm a big proponent of pugging when you are recruiting and ensuring that those runs are fun, fair, lighthearted and professional. Do NOT allow your members to crap on your pugs either...if they win gear, GIVE it to them. You'll build yourself a decent reputation over time.

When we actively pug, whether it's for DS or achievement runs, we generally end up with a new applicant 90% of the time.

Trade spam is only good for one thing: keeping your guild name in front of the eyes of potential future guild members. I rarely get decent raiders thru trade chat, but the social members are usually pretty good.

And, for the love of Odin, do NOT install that stupid autoinvite addon.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
08/16/2012 04:39 PMPosted by Asterae

I thought it may be worth highlighting this. :)

Also, we have a bit of new information. In your original post you said you 'got control of a level 10 guild.' This gave me the impression you were promoted to rank 0 guild leader. The way the system works, though is pretty straight forward: rank 0 controls all. Any other rank just helps out. I'm not usually a big one to debate semantics but I think its a fair point here for 1 big reason: When your friend comes back guess who is in control - not you. Anything you do can be changed or undone at a whim. One more piece of advice I would add to my post above is this:

Assuming your friend comes back, what kind of guild does he want to come back to? Because at the end of the day he'll have the final say on anything done.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
08/16/2012 02:56 PMPosted by Købalt

This could be a trouble spot for you - in general, one of the best things a guild leader can provide is stability. The GL does all the work to insulate the regular members from the issues of recruitment, last-minute scheduling, and other issues that may prevent a raid from starting and ending on-time. So when there is this big unknown about the future, in this case the possibility that the old GL could come back and upset things, it may cause people to hesitate to join. Or worse, when the person does come back, they may feel deceived. The "old GL comes back and wreaks havok" story is pretty common.

Unless you absolutely trust that the person coming back is going to be on the exact same page with you, you should consider striking out on your own before spending time and energy building up a guild
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
Well all the actions in there posts it seems i have put into action and still not much going on but ill keep trying seeing as how the rank zero thing is gonna make this really had if that's really the big one that's gonna screw me over I'm not sure what i can do. Unless the GM is willing to sell me the guild for whatever real money hes so far spent on it. but I doubt that's gonna be the case lol.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]