Frost mage PVE in MOP

90 Troll Mage
Ok, I need some real data on this subject. Are frost mages going to be competative in raiding. Fire is going to be very strong again, and arcane doesn't looks as good. So can frist keep up or even surpass fire. Anyone have real data from playing the PTR enough. From what i am seeing it looks like frost finally has a chance.
Reply Quote
MVP - World of Warcraft
94 Night Elf Druid
Arcane, frost, & fire seem to be pretty close to each other at least in the simcraft numbers. I know that the rankings of which spec is best is pretty much changing every 2 to 4 days with new patches at this point, so it's still too early to tell.

Frost should be a viable PvE spec, since they took a lot of the PvP tools and gave them to all the specs, they've now worked harder at making frost PvE viable. I'm planning at this point to go frost PvE because it starts out pretty good at early gear levels. I think fire is only passing frost at heroic T14 gear levels, since fire is scaling better with gear in the sims. However, even at T14 heroic gear, they're still coming within a close enough margin that any of the specs should be playable.
Reply Quote
MVP - World of Warcraft
90 Human Mage
Aiiiiieeeee, it's Lissanna! I must mark my territory!

...you must be serious about setting your druid aside if you're visiting us here. I wish it were turning out better.
Edited by Lhivera on 8/19/2012 6:49 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
http://simulationcraft.org/504/Raid_T14H.html

Showing Frost mages worst mage spec, still top 5.
I think this sim is a bit outdated though.
Edited by Sandorath on 8/23/2012 1:44 PM PDT
Reply Quote
MVP - World of Warcraft
90 Human Mage
It is a bit. There are also some issues with Fire's gemming (should possibly be using crit gems), and there's at least one upward adjustment coming for Frost that I'm aware of (in a future beta patch). There are probably also some minor improvements that can be made to Arcane's action list.

I expect that we can increase Arcane and Fire by somewhere between 1-2% in the sim, and that the balance adjustment will bump Frost up by about 2.5%.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
Ya I feel frost is gonna rock and finally make a come back. Been since vanilla that frost was viable.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Mage
Frost is solid. Easy rotation, simple ramp-up, great damage.
Reply Quote
MVP - World of Warcraft
90 Human Mage
08/23/2012 04:34 PMPosted by Outbreak
Ya I feel frost is gonna rock and finally make a come back. Been since vanilla that frost was viable.

I raided Frost in a server-first guild up until Sunwell. It was a lot more capable than most people realized until then.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Priest
08/23/2012 08:42 PMPosted by Lhivera

I raided Frost in a server-first guild up until Sunwell. It was a lot more capable than most people realized until then.

If I remember my olde lore, it was roughly 5%. Which, really, wasn't that big of a deal.

It's just that we had that whole other problem where Warlocks soundly trounced us in every way. I think the prevailing logic was something along the lines of 'We're already behind on DPS, there's no reason to be even lower by speccing frost.'

I can't believe I still remember this stuff.
Reply Quote
93 Tauren Druid
08/23/2012 04:34 PMPosted by Outbreak
Been since vanilla that frost was viable.

Frost was fantastic in Firelands with the Tier bonus.

It was actually even stronger during the T11 raids, just most people didn't know it (the later Deep Freeze nerf hurt it, though).
Edited by Seiryu on 8/24/2012 1:00 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I'm really curious how Frost will fare for Spine post 5.0. With Arcane going more rotational and Fire's burst really living in spreading of dots (though short combustion could be awesome too), I'm hoping Frost will make for a good burst appearance.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Mage is my oldest character on my account, it was like the 2nd character I ever made. Frost was always my favorite spec, and I raided frost in vanilla and bc. I dropped my mage around the time that frost became the PVP spec, and I've always hated arcane. I'm likely swapping back to my mage for MOP, as I have all classes @ 85 currently.

I'm having so much trouble deciding what to play in this expansion as my main, but if I can raid frost I think that's the way I'd like to go.
Reply Quote
08/24/2012 06:25 AMPosted by Conneri
I'm really curious how Frost will fare for Spine post 5.0. With Arcane going more rotational and Fire's burst really living in spreading of dots (though short combustion could be awesome too), I'm hoping Frost will make for a good burst appearance.
It will, the only thing we'ld have to worry about is the ramp up, but with full Tier stacks that'll only take 4 seconds to do, especially when we can, with frost bomb, set up a BF as, or a little before, the amalg dies for some extra instant damage and our pets freeze being able to hit at least 2 people. Plus, Icy Viens increaseing FBs, ILs, FFBs, and Ele's WB by 20%. I don't see any way frost doesn't have sufficient burst.

Though I would like to see IL(probably not though for PvP reasons) or FFB add a stack to the ramp up, just to make it a little easier to switch targets.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
So is mastery going to be more important now?
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Mage
can't wait for pve frost. ♥
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
I'm pushing roughly 42,000-50,000 dps as frost, going past 120k sustained in LFR-heroic dps on deathwing as frost, some fights i sustain 90k, ive never gone below that since patch
Reply Quote
100 Undead Mage
09/04/2012 07:15 AMPosted by Hawtnspicy
I'm pushing roughly 42,000-50,000 dps as frost, going past 120k sustained in LFR-heroic dps on deathwing as frost, some fights i sustain 90k, ive never gone below that since patch

can i see your logs with 120k sustained dps?
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Mage
Anyone know a good site to see a pve build?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]