Saw the cinematic.Are you Allies even trying?

100 Troll Hunter
08/17/2012 04:54 PMPosted by Kaioon
Does anyone want to point out that this mortal, grey-haired man that looks to be in his mid 40's is holding his own against an orc that, near as I can tell, is one gigantic 350lb bicep with legs?

I fail to see your point. The cinematic captured the strengths of the two very well.

The Orc was large, and used his strength to his advantage. He was able to send the Human flying with a quick kick while laying on his side, while the Human was flying toward him. He was also smart in using a lamp as an improvised weapon.

Meanwhile, the Human was smaller, but faster, and was able to evade most of the Orc's blows. He was also smart in making a spear with his sword.
Edited by Pyronaptor on 8/17/2012 4:58 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Warrior
08/17/2012 04:57 PMPosted by Pyronaptor
Does anyone want to point out that this mortal, grey-haired man that looks to be in his mid 40's is holding his own against an orc that, near as I can tell, is one gigantic 350lb bicep with legs?

I fail to see your point. The cinematic captured the strengths of the two very well.

The Orc was large, and used his strength to his advantage. He was able to send the Human flying with a quick kick while laying on his side, while the Human was flying toward him. He was also smart in using a lamp as an improvised weapon.

Meanwhile, the Human was smaller, but faster, and was able to evade most of the Orc's blows. He was also smart in making a spear with his sword.

The human was small and old, as far as soldiers go. The orc should have been both stronger and faster.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Hunter
08/17/2012 04:59 PMPosted by Kaioon
The human was small and old, as far as soldiers go. The orc should have been both stronger and faster.

How do you know he was old? He looked like he was in his thirties to me.

And how do you know the Orc wasn't old either?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
I also liked that the human has noticeable scars all over him. Very good attention to detail in this cinematic.

To the OP,
Your attitude of "we'd kill him and fight him on our own, victory or death!" is what will lead your Warchief to a "victory by any means necessary" mentality, taking down roads even the Horde will come to disapprove of.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Warrior
08/17/2012 05:01 PMPosted by Pyronaptor

How do you know he was old? He looked like he was in his thirties to me.

And how do you know the Orc wasn't old either?

The human was greying, his face is lined. He looked like an older man, if you can't identity signs of age in a human I'm not sure what to say.

We get a good look at the orc's face. I'm no expert on orcs, but he looked to be young enough to me. Big black beard without a bit of salt to it. A face without too many lines on it.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Hunter
08/17/2012 05:03 PMPosted by Kaioon
The human was greying, his face is lined. He looked like an older man, if you can't identity signs of age in a human I'm not sure what to say.

My father started greying in his thirties. It's no sign of age when you live in a world as stressful as Azeroth.

08/17/2012 05:03 PMPosted by Kaioon
We get a good look at the orc's face. I'm no expert on orcs, but he looked to be young enough to me. Big black beard without a bit of salt to it. A face without too many lines on it.

Also, I love how a little grey hair makes you seem older than a long, bushy beard.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warrior
Actually it's TWO things:

1) The Alliance sailor wasn't stupid enough to think he could take two enemies on at once...esp against one known and one UNKNOWN enemy.

2) The Alliance sailor KNEW that if he didn't offer the Orc a weapon, the Orc would be worthless in the fight against Chen.
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter

So an experienced, elder man vs a younger, probably inexperienced orc.

Makes sense to me why he'd hold his own.
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Druid
I think what's truly sad is how serious you take it.
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
Pretty sure Tandred was owning the orc until he yanked the hammer out of the statue thingy. :p

And the sword was dull and needed sharpening, why do you think he made the wooden spear?
Edited by Shanalore on 8/17/2012 5:08 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Community Manager
You know, in a way you might be right. And sometimes making sacrifices will lead to lost battles. But that's not enough to suggest the war is lost.

Your characterization of the orc makes it sound like he'd play a mean game of Checkers. But the actions of the human -- if holistically indicative of Alliance character, and reminiscent of the losses they've suffered in the wake of the Cataclysm -- makes it sound like they've been playing Chess all along.

... Or they're making omelettes. :p

The Alliance sailor had TWO weapons.

The orc had none.

Apparantly it's Alliance nature to be sporting/sharing/uniting agaist a common foe... but you know what a true orc of the Horde would have done?

He would have LOPPED THE ALLY'S HEAD OFF, then use his DUEL WIELD skill to face the panda one-on-one. Would he have won? Who knows? But win or lose, he would have maintained his honor and SELF RESPECT.

It's a pride thing; something apparantly foreign to the Alliance races. I've seen the Pandarian intro quest when they join the Horde/Alliance. When they join the Horde, it's all pride/fighting/brotherhood/for the Horde. When they join the Alliance, the King cautions the panda that being Alliance is all about sacrifice.

It's sad, really.

If Alliance players want to be alphas one day, they need to start with themselves. If you want respect, you need to start with self respect. If you've been trying to murder some orc for the past days/weeks, mmmmaybe you shouldn't just hand him a bladed weapon at the first sign of trouble? Maybe it shows your heart just wasn't in it to begin with?

That's what the Horde has. Heart. Pride. Self respect.

We would have taken your head clean off, then skinned that panda or DIE TRYING. With honor.
Edited by Zarhym on 8/17/2012 5:10 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Undead Warlock
Check your pride at the door. When youre getting your but whooped, the last thing you are going to care about it your pride...its about survival
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Druid
08/17/2012 05:07 PMPosted by Zarhym
But the actions of the human -- if holistically indicative of Alliance character,

I don't think it's indicative of the Alliance.
Remember the cinematic for Ulduar? Varien and Garrosh went at each other like three seconds after looking at each other. I always thought Orcs and Humans were similar in a lot of was, they are brash and often times very reckless, always ready to draw swords rather than draw words.

It is as Chen said, they fight because it's in their nature.

But the cinematic pointed out their differences very well.
The Orc was a typical I smash you good orc and the human was a bit more defined, the way he even walked and interacted while fighting shouted superiority to me. He looked down at the orc and the orc was just a beserker.

But as someone else pointed out it wouldn't be the first time The Horde and Alliance made a temporary truce to defeat a common enemy. I wouldn't be surprised if they were both a little frightened by the giant Panda man that was kicking their butts. At least the Orc and Human would know what each other were, I believe it's only natural for them to band together to defeat this weird, alien being that is kung fu-ing all around them.
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
08/17/2012 05:10 PMPosted by Maldrid
Check your pride at the door. When youre getting your but whooped, the last thing you are going to care about it your pride...its about survival
What ever happened to chivalry? D:

08/17/2012 05:14 PMPosted by Vail
Varien and Garrosh went at each other like three seconds after looking at each other. I always thought Orcs and Humans were similar in a lot of was, they are brash and often times very reckless, always ready to draw swords rather than draw words.

Well, not all humans in WoW are like Varian -- same with Garrosh and orcs. And isn't that 'Lo'gosh' causing all the anger issues in the first place?

One last thing - loved the trailer. The badassness of Tandred + plus the brute/berserker actions of the orc was cool to see in the trailer. I was starting to get tired of the whole "peaceful orc" thing anyway.

Also in the trailer, did anyone else notice the orc jump right over tandred after he fell in pursuit of Chen? haha. I guess this was respect on both sides. Tandred gave him the spear and the orc didn't strike at the human when he was in a vulnerable position.
Edited by Shanalore on 8/17/2012 5:22 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Warrior

My father started greying in his thirties. It's no sign of age when you live in a world as stressful as Azeroth.

Thirties is old too, too old to enlist and far too old for competitive sports on a professional level. A thirty year old man has already slowed significantly. He's not a man in his prime, and he's already pitted against a physically superior opponent.

So an experienced, elder man vs a younger, probably inexperienced orc.

Makes sense to me why he'd hold his own.

It makes "movie sense", and it sure does make the human look amazing. But in reality, he'd most likely just die.

Because reality's super important in this world where alien ape-men invade medieval kingdoms.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]