Warrior Tanking in MOP

100 Goblin Priest
I have a warrior tank and looking for some cool tricks and help with tanking in MOP.

First off, how do you feel of the rage change? It seems to me that the best tanks will have more skill and know how to use their class better. Getting rage and shield blocking compared to a tank who doesn't.

Also what changes to gems reforging and enchants will happen? I know block will be on DR. How will this affect us?

What is your opionin on warrior tanks now? Good? Bad? And how to we stack up to others?

Any other good info on war tanks please post for others like me =D
Reply Quote
100 Human Warrior
I like that most of the abilities are free, so i can go in and thunder clap at once and shield slam rather then wait for the rage if i couldn't charge.

Also i like now that we have active mitigation rather then passive so you have manage your rage as a resource and know when to use your shield block and barrier at the right time or you will take unnecessary damage. It will separate the bad players from the good in my opinion.

I also like that we are now getting some better cooldowns ie; Banners, rage regeneration (1 min CD 20% HP) (though i hope it gets buffed a bit) Demoralizing shout( 20%Dmg Red 1 Min CD)...its not on the same level of pally cooldowns but much better then before.
Edited by Ashguard on 8/19/2012 1:11 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Warrior
08/19/2012 12:56 AMPosted by Válens
First off, how do you feel of the rage change?
IF I WANTED FOCUS I WOULD PLAY A HUNTER

Sorry. I just really really don't like the rage bucket.

08/19/2012 12:56 AMPosted by Válens
I know block will be on DR. How will this affect us?
I don't think block DR ever came in. Block is, however, no longer on the combat table which means block capping is impossible. Also, we now get basically no block from mastery (We get a little but mastery mostly just gives us crit block now) so yeah, nowhere near block capping.
-----
Attack tables, CTC, diminishing returns and you!
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2489160859
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Warrior
08/19/2012 01:19 AMPosted by Waniou
I don't think block DR ever came in. Block is, however, no longer on the combat table which means block capping is impossible. Also, we now get basically no block from mastery (We get a little but mastery mostly just gives us crit block now) so yeah, nowhere near block capping.

Are rating to point to percent conversions known for the prot warrior mastery?
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Warrior
I don't have the level 90 conversions off hand, but at 85, it takes 358.652 Mastery Rating for 1% block and 81.4896 Mastery Rating for 1% crit block.
-----
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I don't think block DR ever came in. Block is, however, no longer on the combat table which means block capping is impossible.

http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=32812&p=735463#p735463
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Warrior
http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=32812&p=735463#p735463
Ahh that's a newish change. Well that sucks.
-----
Reply Quote
85 Orc Warrior
To be perfectly honest, I think the whole "active mitigation" thing is a step in the wrong direction. I don't know of many people that thought the DK style of play was anything good, let alone people wanting that playstyle for all tanking classes. IMO tanks should be the only class that is 100% "static" and doesn't have to do anything beyond hold aggro (that means reverse the aggro changes making threat not matter) and survive, maybe with boss positioning depending on fights. I never found that boring, not here or in Rift where it's still the norm (most tanks in Rift don't even have much in the way of defensive cooldowns; they're literally just damage sponges).

That said though, AM is with us for the time being, and it's not really that bad. I really think that Prot's native rage gen in Defensive Stance should be increased a bit (say 3 rage every 3 seconds). I'm not too thrilled with the new mark of "skill" being timing when to hit Block/Barrier and I'd be lying if i wasn't fearing the upcoming patch: I consider myself a decidedly above-average tank, nowhere near great but not a scrub, and I'm more than a little afraid this new system will make a lot of good tanks like myself appear to be bad due to such radical changes.

As far as reforges, I'm seeing two camps of thinking:

1) Focus on Hit/Expertise, with Mastery/Parry/Dodge as secondary
2) Focus on Mastery/Parry/Dodge, with Hit/Exp secondary/tertiary (same as Live, basically)

I'm probably going to go with the second option, as in the Beta I was told by various people (including the high-end respected players who were streaming) that it was fine to tank in the free S12 PVP gear (with appropriate reforges/gems, of course) and I was getting destroyed by trash in heroics going for something similar to #1 above. It might work out better if part of a guild dungeon farming group, but it didn't work too well for me in a PUG.

I'm also seeing that Stamina is higher than it was before, possibly making Warriors (and presumably Pallys) at the least value the hybrid gems over the pure gems like we did at the start of Cataclysm.
Reply Quote
91 Blood Elf Death Knight
To be perfectly honest, I think the whole "active mitigation" thing is a step in the wrong direction. I don't know of many people that thought the DK style of play was anything good, let alone people wanting that playstyle for all tanking classes.

I think Blizzard has a point. Threat being an actual challenge to achieve and maintain like it was in Vanilla made for boring, laborious tanking, and for ages now, the best tanks have been arguing that the responsibility of the tank is moreover than "to hold aggro," actually "to survive."

This is why we augment our gear for defensive stats and revile offensive stats (hit/exp becoming defensive stats in Mists). This is why our mechanics in raids are about minimizing damage we take, rotating cooldowns intelligently, and building your character around damage taken, whether it be by minimizing overall damage or spike damage.

The issue with less active mitigation, or basing the role of tanks around threat rather than defense, is that you end up with tanks who are little more than bad DPS. Our rotations exist to maximize damage we do. By moving toward a model in which the way we use all of our abilities, rather than just a 3 min and 1 min CD (or, for DKs, two 3 min and 12039810 1 min CDs) decides how well we survive, we are, for the first time, truly distinguished from DPS in gameplay, and that is as it should be.
Edited by Ironicpally on 8/19/2012 6:38 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Warrior
When is the absorb from Shield Barrier calculated relative to the 2 roll system?

Is it possible to absorb and block an attack?

Seems like there are 4 possibilities

Absorb
Roll 1: Dodge, Parry, Miss, Hit
Roll 2: Blk, Crt Blk, Hit

Absorb

Absorb

Roll 2: Blk, Crt Blk, Absorb, Hit

Trying to understand the combat system. Have warriors ever had an absorb before?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Death Knight
08/19/2012 04:30 AMPosted by Hackbar
I don't know of many people that thought the DK style of play was anything good

;.;

I like it...
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Warrior
It's the second one, Skira. Absorbs always apply after the combat table.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Trying to understand the combat system. Have warriors ever had an absorb before?

Priests
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Warrior
08/20/2012 03:32 AMPosted by Slashlove

Priests

In the same vein as our defensive CD being Battle Ress eh?
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Shaman
08/20/2012 03:11 AMPosted by Krinu
I don't know of many people that thought the DK style of play was anything good

;.;

I like it...
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Warrior
08/21/2012 01:51 PMPosted by Valazure

;.;

I like it...

That's fine. I'm glad there was an option for players who wanted that play style.

However, Blizzard is forcing all tanks to adopt it now. I'm not so fine with that.

The play style I enjoyed is being taken away. Now, I'll be forced to relearn my spec/class while dealing with all the inevitable price gouging on gems just to be able to function, because mastery will be only effect a critical block. NOT FUN.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Warrior
thats why after your raid this week you buy up now before your realms main jc supplier catches on. also we are now in a more proactive state as far as tanking goes, meaning its more engaging, or at least that's how im interpreting it all.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]