Remakes: Wants and Do Not Wants

90 Blood Elf Warlock
We all know Hollywood is starved for ideas. Remakes galore. Mostly bad ones. The good ones are much too few. And it seems everybody is already groaning in agony if one of their favorite movies is on the Remake Chopping Block.

Honestly the only remake off the top of my head that I LIKED was the new Nightmare On Elmstreet movie. I loved how absolutely creepy the new Freddy was. Even if he looked like a rodent. ( Actually how burn victims look so at least they were accurate ) So let's start this off. You pick a movie you actually WANT to see redone. And one that you cherish very much that you pray Hollywood never finds.

Do Want: Godzilla vs King Kong. Old old Toho movie. I honestly just want to see a redone Godzilla ( I know there's a new movie in the works ) fighting a giant Ape. Maybe this time they can take out the old Frankenstein plot devices. Since that was the original idea. Why King Kong was suped up on electricity.

Do Not Want: Rocky Horror Picture Show. I remember a good couple of years ago. There were rumors that this was being redone. With Marilyn Manson in Tim Currys role. That didn't sound too bad. However it never seemed to get off the ground.

"But Rose! GLEE Did a RHPS episode!"

/smacks you for bringing that up

We don't talk about that. RHPS is meant to look cheesy. Not "oh we're a new movie but we're trying to LOOK nostalgic" like some remakes do. I doubt anybody could replace Tim Curry in those heels anyway. Also this movie just has a little spot in my heart. I saw it in theater. Had the "Virgin" red lipstick V stuck on my forehead and all. It's tradition. And I don't want Hollywood cashing in on it more then what Hot Topic already did with it. *yes I'm having a Hipster moment. Hopefully it's a justifiable Hipster moment*
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter
I pray the TMNT movie falls through. I don't know why Michael Bay feels the need to destroy childhood memories with big explosives and craptastic series butchering plots.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
08/20/2012 03:32 PMPosted by Bullettime
I pray the TMNT movie falls through. I don't know why Michael Bay feels the need to destroy childhood memories with big explosives and craptastic series butchering plots.

At least Hollywood finally told Bay NO. So the Alien thing is at least dropped.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter
08/20/2012 03:48 PMPosted by Rosenivy

Only appropriate response is

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=We8r-GfZzYA
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
08/20/2012 03:50 PMPosted by Bullettime

Only appropriate response is

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=We8r-GfZzYA

lol nice.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
Here's my honest answer:

Want: None. Leave old movies alone. I want to see new, fresh ideas when I see a movie. I don't understand what the problem is with watching an old movie. And these days, "old" doesn't even mean that old. They're remaking stuff from the 90's for Pete's sake.

Want them to leave alone: All. See response for "Want".

Look, I get it, it's about the money, and it's about the fact that audiences these days generally want to see "current" actors in roles and have up-to-date special effects.

That's just not me. I have no problem - in fact, I quite enjoy - watching old movies. I can watch a movie from the 70's, 80's.... heck, even 20's, and appreciate it for what it is.

If they wanna remake crap like Point Break and Fletch, I guess I really don't care. If people will pay to see rehashed garbage like that, then more power to the studios, I guess.

What angers me is when great films are remade. Robocop. Time Bandits. Highlander. Wargames. The Seven Samurai. The Seven Samurai, folks. A cornerstone of film history. And one that ALREADY had a decent remake, The Magnificent Seven. You have absolutely no business watching a remake of Seven Samurai without seeing the original.

I find it funny that when directors decide to "update" their work, with "new special effects" and the like, people are up in arms. "Leave your work alone!", "Don't mess with your movies!" "Han shot first!". But, those same people will be happy to flock to the remake of Seven Samurai, and make no attempt to see the original.

I think its disgusting that there will be leagues of movie-goers soon touting the awesomeness of "Highlander", not even knowing that the original exists. Ditto for any other title I mentioned above.

In the end, it's the chicken or the egg. Studios would stop remaking junk if people didn't go to see remakes. However, people won't stop going to see remakes if the studios keep pumping them out. I guess we're doomed.

It would be cool if the studios re-released old movies in the theater, instead of remaking them. You see some movies in limited release... I saw that Kubrick's the Shining was playing the other day around here. Although, again, audiences are spoiled and I have to say that my assumption would be a major lack of interest.

It's too bad. Older movies really are awesome.
Edited by Breakbeat on 8/20/2012 4:24 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
I agree for the most part Breakbeat. I suggested the Godzilla vs King Kong movie because: While it is a classic, I'd love to see it redone. Same plot but better costume work. Since Toho only barely touches CGI in their movies. And usually when they do it looks good. But they still use traditional costumes for Godzilla and some of the other characters.

I don't want Godzilla replaced with CGI. I want a new fresh costume for him. Like in Final Wars. That movie was fantastic.

And yet if this new Godzilla movie I keep hearing about ends up in CGI I'd still go see it because my nerdyness beckons me. ( And at least it's not Zilla )
Reply Quote
28 Undead Mage
Want: Not really a remake, but an adaptation. I would love to see a big screen version of The Greatest American Hero, if it was done well.

Don't Want: Can't think of anything at the moment. I would agree with Breakbeat about Robocop, but it has a great cast that makes me hopeful.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I'd like a Clan of the Cave Bear remake.
I heard that there is going to be a remake of the movie The Stand and while i'd be interested in what they do with it, it sort of annoys the frick out of me.
Are there no more original ideas out there? What's next, a Back to the Future remake? How about Forrest Gump? >_<
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
Are there no more original ideas out there? What's next, a Back to the Future remake? How about Forrest Gump? >_<

I've heard rumors back to the future is soon for a remake. But i haven't seen anything

And a Forrest Gump sequel was going to be made but I think they stopped it to avoid talking about 9/11

I'm only going by what I heard so I'm not saying I'm 100 percent right.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
Want: There are a few remakes that I'm curious about that are actually happening -

Beetlejuice, Neverending Story, Pet Sematary, & Leprechaun

Don't want: A ton of CGI destroying what was once puppets & sets. Great movies were done without them, it's not needed now.

Why I say this:

The Wizard of Oz, & even Return to Oz. Both are wonderful.

A new Oz movie is coming out & it's LAND OF CGI! -_-

Trust me, I love animation & CGI but if you are going to have a live action cast... have some damn real scenery.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Priest
NO. MORE. REMAKES. How about being original for once, Hollywood?

08/20/2012 03:32 PMPosted by Bullettime

Michael Bay is a jerk and a disease on Hollywood.

Want: There are a few remakes that I'm curious about that are actually happening -

Beetlejuice, Neverending Story, Pet Sematary, & Leprechaun

The original Neverending Story was perfect. I know it was based on a book, but the movie was done so well that I don't see any need to mess with that. Those horrible sequels already did enough damage.
Edited by Cowbacca on 8/21/2012 10:48 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
Don't want: A ton of CGI destroying what was once puppets & sets. Great movies were done without them, it's not needed now.

Amen.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]