Mists PvP/PvE: Holy Paladin or Disc Priest?

85 Tauren Paladin
Hello, all. I currently have two healers leveled to 85 that I'm keeping on my radar for MoP: Holy Paladin and Priest.

My current thought is to level my first one as a primary raiding character with a Heals Main Spec and minimal DPS off-spec. After I get the first one leveled to 90 and ready with pre-raid gear, I'll immediately shift focus to the other to get him to 90, decked out in PvP blues, with a similar spec setup.

My question is: Which is more viable in MoP PvP? Holy Paladin or Disc Priest?

This answer will help me decide which to focus on for raids and which for PvP.

Thanks for your input, all!
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I'd recommend going Belf if you're choosing a paladin or priest.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
08/18/2012 07:54 PMPosted by Josémourinho

That ^ Really didn't help him. Anyways, my main has always been a disc priest. But I'm leveling a Holy Paladin for MoP. Imo, go Holy Pally.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
On the PvE front Disc once again feels like the step-child of healers with Blizzard really having no notable direction for them or idea how to keep them competitive.

On the PvP front...
Disc lost Strength of soul -> Inner Focus -> silence/interrupt protection.
Edit: the above is a glyph

It also lost Focused Will.

Paladin's seem to get to keep all their good tools (and some even got better... like double hands)
Edited by Poena on 8/18/2012 10:26 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Paladin
08/18/2012 08:12 PMPosted by Sacredhealz
Anyways, my main has always been a disc priest. But I'm leveling a Holy Paladin for MoP. Imo, go Holy Pally.

On the PvE front Disc once again feels like the step-child of healers with Blizzard really having no notable direction for them or idea how to keep them competitive.

On the PvP front...
Disc lost Strength of soul -> Inner Focus -> silence/interrupt protection.
Edit: the above is a glyph

It also lost Focused Will.

Paladin's seem to get to keep all their good tools (and some even got better... like double hands)

Okay. What I'm hearing, so far, is a resounding Holy Pally, for both PvE and PvP.

What happens if I throw Holy Priest into the PvE mix?

Keep the responses coming! I'll be chcecking up on this thread.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Priest
For MoP pvp, definitely pally. They come in way ahead on the pvp front with all the MoP changes.

For PvE, disc priests are currently bottom tier. Holy priests had a number of changes to make them more competitive, but I'm honestly not sure how they stack up to paladins with their recent nerf. The numbers I see still show paladins doing very well, though.

Monks are ahead in both aspects, however, if that's something you're considering...
Edited by Odioushealer on 8/19/2012 6:09 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
08/18/2012 08:12 PMPosted by Sacredhealz

That ^ Really didn't help him. Anyways, my main has always been a disc priest. But I'm leveling a Holy Paladin for MoP. Imo, go Holy Pally.

Helps alot. Not much difference between priests and paladins atm.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
Looks like Priests lost mana burn.

Disc no longer has a place in Arena until a massive overhaul of the class is made.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
Lol, hardly. Makes you weaker in 2s, not that much effect in 3s.

Obviously LoSing Mana Burn is hard before 1800, it's hardly that big of a deal after.

But it was all Priests brought to the table that was unique. We have terrible movement. Terrible damage reduction. No personal CD's. Instant heals that have no dispel protection... But man if you left us alone, we were devastating to an opposing healer.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Paladin
08/19/2012 09:37 PMPosted by Poena
But it was all Priests brought to the table that was unique. We have terrible movement. Terrible damage reduction. No personal CD's. Instant heals that have no dispel protection... But man if you left us alone, we were devastating to an opposing healer.

This is truly impossible to take seriously at all. Just saying.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Lol, hardly. Makes you weaker in 2s, not that much effect in 3s.

Obviously LoSing Mana Burn is hard before 1800, it's hardly that big of a deal after.

Uhhhh lolwut?
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Paladin
08/20/2012 02:50 AMPosted by Sparklefever
PvP 4pc is hard, also T2 Priest talents, ALSO glyph of Penance in Mists, ALSO Inner Will

On the topic of the T-2 talents: if you're specced into Body and Soul, you can literally chain sprint someone 4-5 times, or yourself 2-3 times. Divine Insight makes Shield unaffected by weakened soul so you can cast shield again and there is no ICD on B&S beyond the duration of the sprint itself, just gotta penance off CD and spam shields, leap of faith, you're kiting more than a feral druid or hunter.

Disc Priests are probably still one of the strongest, if not tied for the strongest PvP healer in the game. The same as they were all through Cata. Offensive Dispels, Shields>Heals, Power Infusion, Leap of Faith, etc. Priests are amazing, stop being so dense.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I'd ignore anything Poena has to say on most issues with priests.

The last time he made a giant thread about disc QQ, Kaelss and other priests were going against him and telling him to stop QQing and spreading myths about holy paladins.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman

Helps alot. Not much difference between priests and paladins atm.

That is false.

08/19/2012 06:58 AMPosted by Sparklefever
By "we do gain some offensive tools" I mean we pretty much get one and that's Repentance/Fist of Justice/Burden of Guilt tier.

Blinding light?

08/19/2012 09:51 PMPosted by Eväyle
This is truly impossible to take seriously at all. Just saying.

Its truly impossible to take anyone who says holy paladins have it bad in MoP pvp seriously at all. Just saying.
Edited by Cynix on 8/20/2012 2:48 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
HPally is significantly nerfed in Mists actually in terms of mobility, so... eh.

We do gain some offensive tools, but losing Daybreak and Eternal Glory is a huge, huge blow to PvP mobility (as is the loss of Speed of Light - it's nerfed with the talent, 45s from 30 on live, and Long Arm takes a GCD while Pursuit is kind of crappy with Holy's Holy Power generation in Mists).

[e] By "we do gain some offensive tools" I mean we pretty much get one and that's Repentance/Fist of Justice/Burden of Guilt tier.

Don't forget the gutting of Blessed life come MoP. Seems like our instant casts are all gone for MoP. I'm calling it now, Long Arm / Burden of Guilt combo is gonna be MANDATORY for any PvP pally (probably Clemency as well, but that's only if the state of stuns / slows carry forward into MoP).
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
I'd ignore anything Poena has to say on most issues with priests.

The last time he made a giant thread about disc QQ, Kaelss and other priests were going against him and telling him to stop QQing and spreading myths about holy paladins.

And this post just showed you to be a person of little personal character...

But even then, you either make a point or you don't...something you have yet to do in this thread.

Looking through this thread, I made points and sparkle countered them... but you've brought nothing useful to the conversation.

08/20/2012 10:20 AMPosted by Josémourinho
The last time he made a giant thread

Glad I'm memorable though, something that cannot be said about you.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]