Shadow Raiding: the Primer

100 Blood Elf Priest
10/06/2012 12:50 PMPosted by Klissa
Also, with Vampiric Embrace, do DoT ticks count as 'single-target' spells and give out healing? Or, if I'm trying to get maximum healing out it, should I revert to MS/MB spam for its duration?

Every single dot tick you have ticking during VE will produce healing. I like to cast VE on a pre-DP MB, so I'll be doing tons of damage and all that damage will be converted to healing.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Couple of questions - forgive me if I'm being an idiot.

Looking at the stat-weightings on the first page, haste is listed as .75% of intellect, yet the gem-recommendations suggests to prioritise Int over Haste. If my [very bad] maths is correct, since you get twice as much Haste on a gem as you do Int, surely Haste would be the preferred choice?

0.75*2=1.5 > 1 - right?

I'm probably missing something, so I'd like to understand it.

Also, with Vampiric Embrace, do DoT ticks count as 'single-target' spells and give out healing? Or, if I'm trying to get maximum healing out it, should I revert to MS/MB spam for its duration?

Any responses will be greatly appreciated.

10/05/2012 01:43 PMPosted by Woaden
I also have to go back and rework the item links that need it. Gems need to be added... etc etc etc.

Basically yes. Because Haste > .5 and secondary stats are 2x what primary stats are on gems you will get more PP out of secondary stat only gems.

Personally I'm only going to gem Int + Haste or Int + Spirit, but that's personal preference.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Priest
Alright, thank you for the response. I think I'll follow your method, since Haste (for gems) is the highest, and Hit is the only viable option for blue sockets now, so it seems to make sense to do things that way.

Thanks also to Romanticide for the VE response - now I know how/when I can use it!
Reply Quote
37 Human Priest
I apologize if these points have been addressed, but I didn't feel like reading 6 pages at 2 a.m..

Brief point: I use VT -> mind blast -> fade/sw:p -> halo as my opener, in an attempt to rush orbs

Question: is it really a dps loss to autopilot a VT on a focus target? Aside from its viable DPET, it also adds an additional 15%/tick chance to proc FDCL as well as a 2%/tick mana return.
Edited by Pamance on 10/10/2012 11:25 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Opener:

MB ~ Halo ~ SW:P ~ VT ~ Shadowfiend / Mindbender

MB gets your first SO, Halo should proc both of your trinkets (if they're not on use) then apply a strong SW:P and VT followed up by using Shadowfiend / Mindbender early and often for DPS.
Reply Quote
37 Human Priest
Ah thank you that does seem like a more beneficial opener.

My real concern though was whether or not piloting sw:p AND vt on a focus target was a dps loss, as stated in your guide. I've been using VT all expansion and am scared i've been doing it wrong. xd
Edited by Pamance on 10/12/2012 7:04 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
If you're talking about Multi-DoTing:

2-3 targets:
VT and SW:P on both

4+ targets:
SW:P on a few, then MS

Just a btw: I'm about halfway done with a comprehensive update.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Nevermind, can't read. >.<
Edited by Lelliana on 10/13/2012 9:34 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
So is it worse to do what I do in execute range where I just use the 2GCDs for both SWD casts? Because then the cooldown before you can generate another SO from SWD is shorter than if you delay the second cast til after MB or MSp?

Example SW:D does a certain amount of damage, and casting it a second time before the 8 seconds is up FROM the first cast gives you the extra bit of damage (correct me if I'm wrong, but my second cast seems to hit exactly the same as the first), and resets the cooldown again to 8 seconds. But if you DELAY the second cast, but cast it before the 8 seconds is up on the first cooldown, then you have to wait ANOTHER 8 seconds before you can generate another SO.

This is just what I think. Is this right or wrong?

Secondly, is squeezing SW:P into the same GCD as a VT cast (Casting VT and casting SW:P fast enough to beat the GCD) good or bad when refreshing dots?
Edited by Cassonberry on 10/30/2012 11:52 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Practically the only time you'll delay the second SW:D is if MB came off CD during the first SW:D OR (worst case scenario) you cast the first SW:D and that takes you to SOx3 and your MB will off CD in 1 GCD's time.

Basically you'll see a 1.5 delay every now and again.
Reply Quote
36 Blood Elf Mage
Might be a dumb question, but if you get a Mind Blast proc mid Mind Flay channel, do you use it asap or finish the Mind Flay first?

Edit: And is it the same with Shadow Word: Death?
Edited by Voegele on 11/2/2012 5:52 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Might be a dumb question, but if you get a Mind Blast proc mid Mind Flay channel, do you use it asap or finish the Mind Flay first?

My understanding for this is you should only stop casting after the next tick that will come after the proc.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Some of your listed macros don't work at all and others don't do what you probably think they do, by the way.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Clip MF for pretty much anything immediately after the second tick of a new cast or right after any tick of a 2nd or 3rd MF cast.

11/03/2012 10:03 AMPosted by Consite
Some of your listed macros don't work at all and others don't do what you probably think they do, by the way.

Constie, I fully admit I suck at macros. Most of them are very secondhand.

Do you think you could hook me up with some better, ultra-slim, Constie-style macros?
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
I just wanted to ask briefly about the SimC program and how I should interpret some of the results.

I am correct to assume that it believes I will have Bloodlust/Hero active all of the time by default and it is also assuming that I will have the best of the best food, drink, and buffs?

The DPS' numbers it is popping out seem remarkably unattainable to me at present. I also am wondering when it gives me a priority spell list- is that something I should do something with? It looks like it is coded as if I should input it into an addon of some sort.

Thanks,
Noob
Edited by Emalin on 11/4/2012 5:03 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Simcraft is a tool to give you potential DPS, but you need to set it right. Put in your average MS, reaction time, your honest player skill, uncheck any buffs your raid may be missing as well. Also try to match the fight type as closely as you can to the real world scenario you're comparing it too.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
Hey Bro,

Whats entry level DPS requirement for MV?

I was in a vent chat here not so long ago and someone said mandatory 50k DPS at start.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
You have better gear than I did when we cleared it week 1. Looking at our log, I did 45k eDPS across the first four boss kills.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
11/06/2012 09:53 AMPosted by Nixxe
You have better gear than I did when we cleared it week 1. Looking at our log, I did 45k eDPS across the first four boss kills.

Awesome, i can do that. Plus, i just learned how to gem my robe correctly! WOO WHOOO! Thanks!
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest

Id like to know this as well. And also should I finish mindflay if MB comes off CD mid mindflay
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]