Shadow Raiding: the Primer

90 Human Priest
11/04/2012 11:10 AMPosted by Woaden
Clip MF for pretty much anything immediately after the second tick of a new cast or right after any tick of a 2nd or 3rd MF cast.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Priest
Looking at my gear. I think at the moment i have healing trinkets and a ring on... but Im not sure if i could make it, but if i gemmed all to haste and got the haste soft cap would it be a dps increase over not having it but having more intellect?
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
11/07/2012 01:37 PMPosted by Captnchunk
Looking at my gear. I think at the moment i have healing trinkets and a ring on... but Im not sure if i could make it, but if i gemmed all to haste and got the haste soft cap would it be a dps increase over not having it but having more intellect?

No.

Best case scenario you can give up ~250 Int to reach the 8085 Haste cap, but with lower levels of gear it's likely the amount of Intellect you can sacrifice to reach the Haste cap without losing DPS.

Unless you get lucky on gear drops (must include Light of the Cosmos) you're looking at a ~486+ ilvl or so before you'll see 8085 Haste rating 'legitimately'
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Priest
Didn't see it posted yet. Soft Haste Cap for Goblin is 7584.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
11/13/2012 01:45 PMPosted by Shadoesaint
Didn't see it posted yet. Soft Haste Cap for Goblin is 7584.

I should probably post that in there, huh?

Haste will still be your best secondary stat after the break point any how so unless you're gemming pure Haste to reach it you're not hurting yourself :)
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
I know it's minor, but there's a small error in the guide:

Mind Spike is level 44, not 64. :P
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
i just have a question about hastes, so atm i can easily reach 8085 (i just got the trinket from elegon) so should i re-gem my 320hastes to intellect+secondary stats? does haste value come down after 8085? also are we still aiming for 30% haste? i think it could be possible with some heroic pieces and right geming.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Only shooting for 8085 this tier, after that Haste ~ Crit ~ Mastery.

Transition to Reckless / Brilliant as you can.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
I pushed through a 5.1 / General update at Howtopriest.com:
http://howtopriest.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1701#p12749

I will attempt to get this thing to where it should be (hopefully not another empty promise).
Reply Quote
94 Orc Warrior
No offense but this is a terribly written guide... You should head over to the warrior forums and look at he Fury PvE guide by Samyael. Much better. I shouldn't have to read everything you wrote to get the basic info that i need for raiding.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
11/29/2012 07:22 AMPosted by Gbz
No offense but this is a terribly written guide... You should head over to the warrior forums and look at he Fury PvE guide by Samyael. Much better. I shouldn't have to read everything you wrote to get the basic info that i need for raiding.

I've actually read that thread because in our alt run my Warrior is being made to DPS which I'm quite !@#$ at (He's always been Prot / Prot since BC). I found it difficult to read because of poor formatting but it was quick, dirty, and to the point.

My guide is meant to be a complete resource for a Shadow Priest. Even if I don't have the information there in full I have a link to the relevant thread. That does mean it's long. That's also why I have a Table of Contents and suggest in the opening that you skim through to sections more relevant to what you're looking for.

A skim of Glyph / Spec / Rotation / Reforging / Enchanting will get you started and you can read through the rest at your leisure. Or not.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Oh, please note though that this is very much a WiP.

Please visit the H2P for an up to date version:
http://howtopriest.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1701
Reply Quote
100 Human Priest
Red and Prismatic sockets: [item="" /] or Brilliant Primordial Ruby

Yellow sockets: Reckless Sardonyx or Reckless Vermilion Onyx

Crit = 0.4068
Haste = 0.7546
Hit = 0.5932
Intellect = 1.0000
Mastery = 0.3751
Spell Power = 0.8153
Spirit = 0.5932

I'm sorta new to shadow, and this confused me. Since gems give twice as many secondary stats as primary, and Haste is >.5 the weight of Intellect, why would one want to socket straight Intellect in red sockets, rather than an orange gem with some Haste?

Sorry if this is a dumb question, just a bit confused.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
Those are... outdated, shamefully.

We're currently looking at something (like):
Int = 1.0000
Spirit = 0.4282
Spell Power = 0.8026
Hit = 0.4282
Crit = 0.4299
Haste = 0.4475
Mastery = 0.4073

Meaning that 2x secondary stats are still less than 1 Intellect. Intellect historically has been and should continue to be our best scaling stats. MoP changes brought them closer together gemming wise but just not quite enough.
Reply Quote
100 Human Priest
Ahh okay. That makes more sense. Thanks! (:
Reply Quote
100 Troll Priest
08/19/2012 12:46 AMPosted by Woaden
#1 - DP when you have SO x3

So it is better dps-wise to use DP with 3 SOs instead.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
DP:

Because you only need to recast DPx3 before you generate your next SO you can do things such as refreshing DoTs or Halo or Shadowfiend... etc before you use this as long as it's cast before your next SO generator comes off CD. However if you spec into DI you should cast DPx3 immediately when it comes up in case you get a DI proc. The ONLY time you should use this with 2 SOs is if you currently have a temporarily high level of damage buffs that will expire before you generate your 3rd SO.

http://howtopriest.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1701#faq
Question:
Should I ever be using DP with only 1 or 2 Shadow Orbs?

Answer:
No. You should be using DP ONLY with 3 Shadow Orbs. The only exception would be if the Boss is about to die within a few seconds and MB, SW:D, Halo, Shadowfiend / Mindbender and MSp (FDCL) / SW:I (SW:I) all cannot be used. Otherwise wait for 3.

I hope that answered your question between the two :)
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
08/19/2012 12:49 AMPosted by Woaden
Please note that you will have to socket at least two of these to activate the Meta gem.

just nitpicking. fix it!
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
12/18/2012 01:03 AMPosted by Sielu
Please note that you will have to socket at least two of these to activate the Meta gem.

just nitpicking. fix it!

There's a lot more than that :/
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Finally...

1-1-2013
Completed full Guide update including (but not limited to)
MSp available @ 44 not 74
Updated Talent descriptions
UPdated PP values
Updated BiS List link
Updated Hit section
Updated Reforgeing
Added Enchanting
Updated Addons
'Added' Races
Added FAQ
Updated Misc
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]