Hell or Fel?

60 Undead Death Knight
Which one do you say? Personally, I say hell because.. something about saying fel just irks me.
Reply Quote
91 Blood Elf Death Knight
Neither. I say either "Nether," "Twisting Nether," "Great Dark," "Beyond," "Dark," or "Great Dark Beyond."
Reply Quote
60 Undead Death Knight
Oooo. I'll ad that to my lists of IC insults.
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Rogue
If I'm cursing, Hell.

If I am describing Demon Magic, Fel.

It really bothers me when people say "Go to Fel", as fel is not a place.

It's like saying "Go to Arcane." It is just stupid.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Rogue
Fel just sounds pretty awkward in sentences not describing well...fel magic stuff.

Hell for me!
Reply Quote
91 Blood Elf Death Knight
It really bothers me when people say "Go to Fel", as fel is not a place.

It's like saying "Go to Arcane." It is just stupid.

Go to holy!
Reply Quote
88 Night Elf Druid
I dunno, there was a similar conversation up about this issue a few months to a year ago. I only remember it 'cause I believe the opinions seemed to point towards using 'fel' as a curse word. Occasionally I'll use it, but to be entirely honest with you, I'd much rather use 'hell', because it sounds less retarded xD. Since the general census seems to have changed, I'm going back to using 'hell'.

My other list of "swear" works includes "frack", "shiet", and "!@#$%^"(aparently it won't let me say that) But that's mainly because that's actually how I'm pronouncing it in real life xD. 'Cause I throw grammar and pronunciation out the window when I'm just talking to hear the lurvely sound of my voice xD .

Other ones I might start using are "blast-ended skank", "!@#$%crux"(oh noes! but that one's funny T-T), and Voldemort's nipple, but those might be too HP for WoW >.>
Edited by Laviette on 8/22/2012 9:35 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Orc Warrior
He would just say INTO THE POT WITH YOU! If he got really mad. But yea, hell is a horrible place, fel is a type of magic.
Reply Quote
60 Undead Death Knight
08/22/2012 09:33 PMPosted by Laviette
"frack"
BATTLESTAR GALATICA!
Reply Quote
84 Night Elf Druid
My character Jeliana will use every modern insult. I don't go too far.. but it's a big list. But On Topic, I prefer Hell, because like everyone said, Fel is stupid as a curse.
Reply Quote
100 Human Warrior
Considering a lot of major warcraft characters have said "Hell" even in the context of the realm of unpleasant things in the afterlife, I tend to use it. Also saying "To Fel with this" sounds dumb as !@#$.

Also on the nature of a certain four-letter word, I use "Fek" because it fits my character's accenting. Also it's hilarious.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
Hell all the way. IMO I think most of the people that use fel (most....most, not all) is either because a) they are still quite young and cussing isn't allowed or b) They just flat out don't like cuss words and use 'fel' instead.
Reply Quote
41 Undead Warrior
I just curse normally.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
Fel isn't a place

therefore Hell wins :)
Reply Quote
100 Human Mage
But is Hell a place in the world of Azeroth? Or underworld rather..
Reply Quote
60 Undead Death Knight
Yes it is. In many quests people say Hell. In the Gilneas starting area, or rather, when they are at the end on the Horde zeppelin, Lorna Crowly states "Let's send these (something I forgot) to Hell!" or something around that area.
Reply Quote
87 Human Paladin
I'll put it this way:

His name wasn't "Grom Felscream".
Reply Quote
60 Undead Death Knight
08/25/2012 05:20 PMPosted by Calberth
Reply Quote
100 Undead Priest
08/25/2012 05:20 PMPosted by Calberth

He was actually starscream

But srsly I would use Hell.
Reply Quote
I'm lost as to why people feel a need to sound natural using swears in a fantasy universe. It's modern swears that likely sound just as odd inside the Warcraft setting.

Think of it this way for a moment - hell is an incredibly strong word in real life, because it's either a common theme in numerous religions or else something that's just common knowledge regarding morality... and it's something SEVERE. Eternal torment makes a pretty strong context for the word you utter in frustration.

However, in the Warcraft Universe we have no evidence that the idea of hell is preached in the religion of the Light, which seems to focus more on the present, and inner good/evil rather than eternal judgment. Likewise, there's a lot of other philosophies that don't focus on divine themes and an afterlife at all. As a result, hell could likely be a sort of general term, though still a fairly strong one, for "bad place." This sets up a very strong argument that fel, the corrupting magic that comes from the blood of demons on a cosmic genocide, is a much more fitting swear with how universally it's known and how its effects can be clearly seen in many parts of Azeroth.

(Personally though, my characters don't use typical swear words, and instead make exclamations, usually Light themed. But I find the discussion interesting, and I believe there's arguments that make either swear choice valid. And I can't cite this unfortunately, but I think I recall seeing both used by NPCs... the use of 'fel' being the rare one I don't know where to find, of course. Maybe someone would like to take up my quest and search for that?)
Edited by Tresdon on 8/26/2012 12:03 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]