transmog - is there hope in MoP?

84 Tauren Paladin
The best expansion for transmog gear is burning crusade. So much cool stuff, almost all of my transmogs have BC gear in them.
After all, why are BC raids like BT and Sunwell so popular to do now for transmog? Because there was such good looking stuff.
In BC, not only was raiding gear cool, but you even got cool quest reward gear for transmog.
BC was the expansion of unique iconic looking gear.
Whenever I search for transmog gear on the AH, I filter levels 20-69. No point looking at gear any higher level.

Then came WoLTK and the fun ended.....the expansion of reskinned brown, brown and brown gear. Where leveling/quest gear all looked the same and was reskinned over and over again in different shades of brown. The only gear that looked good in WoTLK was the raid gear and the point reward sets, everything else, ugly. I dont even have a single transmog set using WOTLK regular gear and there is no interest in going back and doing transmog runs of WoLTK dungeons.

Then came Cata....same thing. see above. reskinned same looking bland gear.
Now comes MoP....I checked out the pics for the blue sets -
http://www.wowhead.com/news=205366/mists-of-pandaria-justice-point-rewards-news-round-up#reputation-plate
nothing at all inspires me to transmog it, mail and cloth too asian themed for my liking, plate just bland.

So is there any hope for cool looking transmog gear in MoP?
Edited by Smoothie on 8/22/2012 10:08 AM PDT
Reply Quote
76 Tauren Paladin
I like a lot of the gear coming in MoP. The coolest part is that if you don't like how it looks, you can continue wearing BC gear! Everyone's personal tastes are accompanied!
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
08/22/2012 10:03 AMPosted by Smoothie
The best expansion for transmog gear is burning crusade. So much cool stuff, almost all of my transmogs have BC gear in them.

This is an opinion that I don't share. I love the Druid tiers from Cata, Tier 11 H tier 12 heroic and tier 13 non-heroic are my favs. I like the look of the druid gear in MoP so far and the weapons look awesome.

But on a side note If you are going to compare the blue sets in mop you need to link to the blue sets in BC.

http://www.wowhead.com/itemset=637
http://www.wowhead.com/itemset=659#screenshots:id=209665
http://www.wowhead.com/itemset=620

Now personally I thinkthose are ugly and the MoP ones beat them out ;)

But art is subjective.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Considering MoP was being made with Transmog, I certainly hope so.

Just looking at the paladin challenge mode set, it's a promising start.
Reply Quote
84 Tauren Paladin

This is an opinion that I don't share. I love the Druid tiers from Cata, Tier 11 H tier 12 heroic and tier 13 non-heroic are my favs. I like the look of the druid gear in MoP so far and the weapons look awesome.

But on a side note If you are going to compare the blue sets in mop you need to link to the blue sets in BC.

http://www.wowhead.com/itemset=637
http://www.wowhead.com/itemset=659#screenshots:id=209665
http://www.wowhead.com/itemset=620

Now personally I thinkthose are ugly and the MoP ones beat them out ;)

But art is subjective.

I do agree that the tier sets and raid gear from all the expansion, WoLTK and Cata, have always looked good, but there should be more transmog choices from all ranges of gear, including questing and leveling greens and dungeon blues.
Thats where I think BC beat out any other expansion. You could get transmog gear from anywhere, just not only teir sets.

But I do also see your point, there was ugly gear in BC also and right now we have the advantage of seeing the entire BC expansion as a whole picking out the good stuff, while MoP is still unkown/new.
Edited by Smoothie on 8/22/2012 10:25 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Warrior
Druid tier gear is a lot like Death Knight gear. It largely looks the same. I wish they'd share some of the primal, savage look with Shaman. Most of their tier looks like some sort of goofy elemental robot, with a few notable exceptions.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Hunter
The OP point is : After TBC, seems like Blizzard didnt want to spend a little more time (money) on the sets/weapons besides the Raid and PVP ones...

If you look to TBC you can crearly see that the greennies and blues (most part) were so authentic and unique... Now look to Cata and Mop ones and you can see they were just made following a theme.. They all looks like some variation of something...

I miss the flavor thing...
Reply Quote
Community Manager
After all, why are BC raids like BT and Sunwell so popular to do now for transmog? Because there was such good looking stuff.
In BC, not only was raiding gear cool, but you even got cool quest reward gear for transmog.
Whenever I search for transmog gear on the AH, I filter levels 20-69. No point looking at gear any higher level.

Then came WoLTK and the fun ended.....the expansion of reskinned brown, brown and brown gear. Where leveling/quest gear all looked the same and was reskinned over and over again in different shades of brown. The only gear that looked good in WoTLK was the raid gear and the point reward sets, everything else, ugly. I dont even have a single transmog set using WOTLK regular gear and there is no interest in going back and doing transmog runs of WoLTK dungeons.

http://www.wowhead.com/news=205366/mists-of-pandaria-justice-point-rewards-news-round-up#reputation-plate
nothing at all inspires me to transmog it, mail and cloth too asian themed for my liking, plate just bland.

I think you'll find lots of great items in Mists of Pandaria to transmog. The Challenge Mode gear is designed specifically for this in fact. (Wait until you see them in action. Talk about some hot gear.)

I think like anything, it's subjective. If the new gear isn't to your taste, you're not going to find much to transmog. That's the beauty of the system though, you can transmog things from Burning Crusade or Wrath of the Lich King etc, if that's more to your taste. You're not locked in to only finding things in Mists of Pandaria to transmog.
Reply Quote
84 Tauren Paladin

I think you'll find lots of great items in Mists of Pandaria to transmog. The Challenge Mode gear is designed specifically for this in fact. (Wait until you see them in action. Talk about some hot gear.)

I think like anything, it's subjective. If the new gear isn't to your taste, you're not going to find much to transmog. That's the beauty of the system though, you can transmog things from Burning Crusade or Wrath of the Lich King etc, if that's more to your taste. You're not locked in to only finding things in Mists of Pandaria to transmog.

Thank you for the reply!!
Unfortunately as a casual player, Im pretty sure I will never have any access to challenge gear :( I am not a raider.
So I rely on blues, greens and sometimes Tier gear if I get enough points or honor for my transmog.

Can you say anything about what the dungeon blues, or quest qreens, or regular greens look like?

This is exactly my point! -
The OP point is : After TBC, seems like Blizzard didnt want to spend a little more time (money) on the sets/weapons besides the Raid and PVP ones...If you look to TBC you can crearly see that the greennies and blues (most part) were so authentic and unique... Now look to Cata and Mop ones and you can see they were just made following a theme.. They all looks like some variation of something... I miss the flavor thing...

So is MoP non raid, non teir gear going to have some unique flavor stuff for us?
It will make me sad if only raiders get good looking gear :(
Edited by Smoothie on 8/22/2012 10:52 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
08/22/2012 10:34 AMPosted by Warrada
If you look to TBC you can crearly see that the greennies and blues (most part) were so authentic and unique... Now look to Cata and Mop ones and you can see they were just made following a theme.. They all looks like some variation of something...

Most of the TBC items you got out of questing and leveling and the early crafting were simple recolors or reshaped versions of Vanilla stuff. Seriously take a gander at the Netherstorm rewards, there are Leather items that look like Plate and Mail randomly, all hodgepodged together.

Some of the weapons were kinda unique, but then again I've never been a fan of the ethereal-esque blue/yellow/glowy-floaty-bit weapons.

Honestly the only unique thing about TBC is the fact that you can get a very one-of-a-kind recolor of various pieces that your class or armor type would normally never get. For Leather users there is a kilt that is a black/yellow recolor of Druid T3 from Hellfire questing, assuming you haven't already blown through that content.

Take a look at my own set: it is a mixture of TBC/Wrath pieces with a Cata blue crafted belt to polish it off. My previous transmog set featured a heavy mix of Cata questing items and Heroic ICC pieces for a unique Druid look. The one before that was exceptionally questionable in taste with use of the Hannibal mask from Wrath and a Warbear Harness/Woolies.

Honestly if you love the TBC stuff so much, chances are you have great nostalgia from that era and you simply like the look of certain things, particularly from Vanilla (since that's what a lot of TBC was, recolored Vanilla). Wrath was not brown, brown, and more brown. It was updated textures that looked more realistic and less of the randomized colored clown suits from before. The fact that you could look coherently put together while questing instead of appearing like a garage sale of clothing viciously mobbed you was a great plus in Wrath and in Cata.

So what if you couldn't get some random, doesn't match anything at all, purple and green belt that looks like a Mail belt but a Cloth wearer can use it?
Reply Quote
Is there any way we can adjust what enchants are shown on our transmog?

There are plenty of enchants that I'd like to be able to put on my transmog, and sometimes I'd like to have none at all.

Give us an enchant slot!!!
Reply Quote
71 Tauren Death Knight
My opinion, but to the point on this that less is more in terms of gear beauty. Not all gear has to have shoulder plates that sc!!*# the ceiling of all inns that you enter to be 'cool'. The best gear I found too was your generic chain/plate pieces (and if you look on the AH that's the gear that goes for some of the highest gold).

I'd like it if the developers looked to not blast the player like some crazy mosaic but rather something that's 'tasteful' (couldn't think of a more appropriate word) and something with repeat value.

I'm with the OP on this that very, very few pieces since BC attract my attention and make me think boy I NEED to obtain that gear.

apparently you can't say scr ape, but that's what the word I was using there.....
Edited by Producer on 8/22/2012 10:56 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
And it isn't a factor of money at all either. In TBC there are random weapons that share the same model at various ilvls, just recolored, just like Wrath and Cata, except instead of realistic steel and leather they look like they're made out of brightly colored glass.

Oh and do I really need to remind anyone of the final random set of greens that looked identical for practically every armor class and all looked like a civilian garb of cloth?

If anything had a cheaper budget for art, TBC did, not Wrath or Cata.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
http://www.wowhead.com/compare?items=24687;24800;24912;24679;24792;24904

Yes so unique and so flavorful :P

That's two full sets of green items for THREE of the four armor types that look literally, identical.
Reply Quote
86 Blood Elf Warlock
Vanilla and BC gear leaned towards being iconic, or class-defining - tier especially. My biggest gripe with the current selection of gear, dating back to Wrath, if not Sunwell, is that it seems to have little more than "easy recolor" in mind.

That's not entirely the case, as T13 had a few standouts... while I'm not a tremendous fan of Mage T13, it just screams Gnome, and Pally T13 really feels Paladin-esque. But it seems like its the exception rather than the norm anymore, especially given we have LFR/Normal/Heroic color tables for every piece of gear before dungeon sets.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Paladin
08/22/2012 10:36 AMPosted by Nethaera
I think you'll find lots of great items in Mists of Pandaria to transmog.

Oh noes! :O

My Druid's Bank and Void Storage are already completely packed with quest items and transmog stuffs. I don't want to sell/delete the quest items because there is no way to go back and get them :/ Guess I'm going to have to start choosing favorites to prepare for MoP stuffs.

♥ Aune
Reply Quote
84 Tauren Paladin
http://www.wowhead.com/compare?items=24687;24800;24912;24679;24792;24904

Yes so unique and so flavorful :P

That's two full sets of green items for THREE of the four armor types that look literally, identical.

Ok you have made some good points Fasc, I only started playing in BC and dont really have much memory of it since I was still leveling up and misssed most of the expansion.
I do agree, BC did have its ugly gear. I didnt realize so much of BC gear was reskinned.
All I know is that whenever I search for gear to transmog, it always ends up being in a BC dungeon or something.

But...I still stay that if you put together a top ten list of most wanted transmog items that list would be filled with BC and some vanilla gear. I bet you would see very little if any gear from WoLTK or Cata in that top ten wanted list.

What would be great to see is if MoP can top that list with new unique items that are available at all stages of leveling, not just raiding teir gear.
Edited by Smoothie on 8/22/2012 11:12 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Undead Rogue
I dunno man, I loved the sets from Ulduar and ICC a lot more than BC sets

But what do I know, I'm a tree.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
On the topic of transmog, will there be a way to obtain LFR Dragon Soul gear colors at 90 when we won't be able to queue for it anymore? The LFR version of my T13 (and offpieces) are my favorite but I haven't been able to obtain a full set and I'm worried I may have to scrap it if I don't finish it by the MoP launch.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]