5.0.4 Raiding Hunters Spec

90 Human Hunter
So what spec is most raiding hunter's going, i have a feeling i might go Surv again. I'v seen those raiding simulation website thing and it looks like all 3 specs of hunters are bottom dps :( but i don't believe it for one sec.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Hunter
I would also like to know this. I'm going to stay Surv for a bit to see how it feels and because Im used to it, but I'll be trying out the other two definitely.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Hunter
I'm going to be trying out BM. I've only used the spec for soloing and questing, never in raids. I've always been either MM and now currently SV for raiding. But I still plan on keeping SV as an off-spec since I like it more than MM.

As far as talents, I'll be playing around with all to see which is best for me.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter
SV is going to be tops for DS still I believe. There's too much crud in DS that causes your pet to need to move. Pet uptime will still need to be watched. Granted, new KC causes a charge so that may be less of an issue
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter
I've been hearing now that BM is gonna be good when mop is released but SV is still gonna be good from today till mop comes. Blizz made all the dps the same untill then.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter
Actually at lvl 90 Marksmanship will be the ultimate dpser. Why? Power shot to replace aimed shot. According to people who have played the beta, power shot does amazing damage and hits harder than aimed shot. As we know, aimed shot already hits like a truck. Mines on average hits around 60k and crits up to 132k. Now, if power shot does somehow get nerfed due to butthurt pvpers.. then maybe SV will be on top in the future, but as for the start. Marksmanship will be higher dps. Tru fax.

Edit: Also if you pick up thrill of the hunt, it will be a focus dump along with power shot, giving you more dps since it give up to 3 arcane shots I believe. I also tried it on bm which is also really amazing because it freakin bm. On SV... i found myself all over the place... I was so all over the place they I actually took thrill of the hunt out because it was so annoying..

I have also taken into account that SV hunter will use power shot and explosive shot as a focus dump to replace arcane... and after taking it into account, im not sure what will happen. As far as people who love sv and are used to it.. it sadly wont be the same for the best dps atleast.
Edited by Edall on 8/27/2012 4:21 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Hunter
Actually at lvl 90 Marksmanship will be the ultimate dpser. Why? Power shot to replace aimed shot. According to people who have played the beta, power shot does amazing damage and hits harder than aimed shot. As we know, aimed shot already hits like a truck. Mines on average hits around 60k and crits up to 132k. Now, if power shot does somehow get nerfed due to butthurt pvpers.. then maybe SV will be on top in the future, but as for the start. Marksmanship will be higher dps. Tru fax.

Edit: Also if you pick up thrill of the hunt, it will be a focus dump along with power shot, giving you more dps since it give up to 3 arcane shots I believe. I also tried it on bm which is also really amazing because it freakin bm. On SV... i found myself all over the place... I was so all over the place they I actually took thrill of the hunt out because it was so annoying..

I have also taken into account that SV hunter will use power shot and explosive shot as a focus dump to replace arcane... and after taking it into account, im not sure what will happen. As far as people who love sv and are used to it.. it sadly wont be the same for the best dps atleast.

yea you must not have played beta and your talk about SV leads me to believe you dont know what you are talking about. seems like you are just assuming...

BM is top spec atm in beta for MoP with SV slightly behind if not in some cases ahead of BM.

MM is way behind both, maybe in later tiers MM will pull ahead.

but as of right now its BM>SV>MM

and all simcrafts and raid testing numbers show this.

with MoP still being a month away this is all likely to change FYI
Edited by Deadmode on 8/27/2012 4:51 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter
^ what he said

also he was talking about power shot and burst which doesnt instantly mean it will have more dps as the other specs e.g Survival now has no burst but it has constant procs and you can maintain your dps better.
Edited by Havoczqt on 8/27/2012 4:59 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter
how the frick are you critting an Aimd shot for 135k? In your gear...
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter
08/27/2012 07:15 PMPosted by Haassar
how the frick are you critting an Aimd shot for 135k? In your gear...

In beta you can
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter
For what it's worth, I ran simulationcraft against the T13H profiles and posted the results at:
http://beta.femaledwarf.com/hunter_t13h.html

I ran this using a worgen to avoid the orc pet bonus throwing off the balance between specs. Obviously this is a sim and not necessarily indicative of raid performance, but it should give people some idea. All 3 specs came out extremely close.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
08/27/2012 03:48 PMPosted by Haassar
SV is going to be tops for DS still I believe. There's too much crud in DS that causes your pet to need to move. Pet uptime will still need to be watched. Granted, new KC causes a charge so that may be less of an issue

Not to mention blink strike, which being free and doing pretty good damage will be kept on CD.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
For what it's worth, I ran simulationcraft against the T13H profiles and posted the results at:
http://beta.femaledwarf.com/hunter_t13h.html

I ran this using a worgen to avoid the orc pet bonus throwing off the balance between specs. Obviously this is a sim and not necessarily indicative of raid performance, but it should give people some idea. All 3 specs came out extremely close.

Hmm, you have murder of crows and lynx rush simmed but no blink strike? Does it just sim out that much lower or...
Reply Quote
86 Goblin Hunter
Never mind. Turns out MM with ToTH and Blink Strike make it the stronger sustainable dps build at level 85 at least.
Edited by Nubbyshin on 9/1/2012 4:40 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
it might be true I've lost almost 10k dps I'm only doing about 12-13k on raiding dummies now was up over 22k on em last week :( and I'm SV
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
08/31/2012 08:14 PMPosted by Lülü
it might be true I've lost almost 10k dps I'm only doing about 12-13k on raiding dummies now was up over 22k on em last week :( and I'm SV

There is something you should know about target dummies. In the patch all th boss ones were raised to level 90 bosses. They are basically level 93 with much higher hit caps, glancing blows, and defenses.

Also pray I can be any spec I want to raid and do close damage with any spec. I got a bunch of cool exotic pets I want to be able to use more without being punished. Kill command having a range is a good start.
Edited by Arshtat on 8/31/2012 8:21 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Troll Hunter
I was SV prior to patch (for the numbers only) true passion is MM. Having done some !%@@ing around with both MM and SV post patch (I never liked BM's playstyle) I personally still do more damage as SV, however survivability is much higher as MM, and being able to use more haste for the AiS is nice. I will however be forging out as much mastery into haste for my SV spec as our ES has taken a massive dump in the damage department.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Hunter
My own tests are showing BM to be the stongest spec atm barring any nasty bugs ( Ultraxion, Madness, Warmaster) Even on Yors with the AoE I found BM to be playing better.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Hunter
Seems like they fixed the floating/flying bug where KC can't hit, was working fine on Ultra last night in LFR.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Hunter
I found a few posts from players commenting on the BM tree, but I haven't been able to wrap my head around the playstyle to maximize DPS; I haven't played BM since TBC.

I played MM in Vanilla, part of TBC, WotLK, and start of Cata, so I respecced from BM to MM and found the damage to be similar to BM. This could be because I'm not used to playing BM though, so YMMV.

I've been delving into SV even further, since it is the spec I've been playing more often and reading up on what the Beta players and theorycrafters are saying.

I am finding I can ignore Explosive Shot except when Lock and Load procs and use Arcane Shot instead for maximum dps. By doing this I am finding my DPS has increased to pre-5.0 levels, if not better on some Patchwerk fights. I am also using my Hyena now for the melee/ranged unless another class brings that along.

It's interesting how Arcane Shot has become our shot-of-choice, especially when we don't carry ammo. I feel like the Ranger from the Dungeons and Dragons cartoon. XD
(Yes, I know I am dating myself by that reference.)

I got rid of my 4 piece Tier as well to avoid clipping shots and quick-capping focus regen, and reforged out of Mastery and Haste to Crit.
Edited by Jhynn on 9/1/2012 11:08 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]