Do you heal pets?

90 Human Paladin
So I was in a PUG today and the hunter flipped out because I wasn't healing his pet, then proceeded to rage about it for the rest of the instance. Personally I've never seen a pet drop below 80%, so I just began to ignore them and didn't think anything of it. Am I supposed to be paying attention to them?
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Priest
If there's nothing else to heal, or the hunter is using his pet to pick up the slack caused by a negligent tank, sure.

I pretty much never pay attention, though, because I tend to just stick with AA/A Disc for heroic dungeons to push them along and Atonement will heal pets.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
I dont. I could care less about the stupid pet when everyone else is taking dmg.

Only time I do is when I am leveling a healer and ask a lock/huntard to use a tank pet so we dont have to sit in queue for 10 mins.

The pets benefit from my aoe spells. Other than that I can care less.

Maybe said hunter needs to turn of growl or use his own heal pet ability.

But hey, that's just me.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Priest
I must admit I am a bit slack in healing pets...but hunters can heal their own pets (unless this has changed). I do sometimes but they are on last on the list. but his pet shouldn't really be taking much damage anyhow. if the pet is. Gonna be tank then I heal it.
Edited by Bixter on 8/28/2012 11:06 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I usually heal them but they are last in my priority list. But... there was some hunter qq in some other thread about pets taking a huge amount of damage now. Maybe some of the built in damage resistance for pets has been removed? I haven't been following the beta closely enough to know. Was this hunter complaining today or was it pre-patch?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Um...

They get splash heals. :D

Hunter pets eat enough of my PoMs. :(
Reply Quote
23 Goblin Warlock
I've notice pets are taking a lot of damage in dungeons I've run today so maybe there's a bug or something.

I'll heal them but Tank=Me>DPS>Pets
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman
Yes I absolutely do heal pets. They're a big part of the dps output for the classes that have them. Of course they're a lower priority than everyone else, but as often as I can spare a HoT for a pet I'll do it.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
Nope. They are not even on Healbot for me
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
Not on healbot for me unless it's arena. Hunter can heal his own pet.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
I got rid of pet panels back when they reduced the amount of AOE damage they take. I recently added them back because I'm 2 manning stuff with a hunter, and I was surprised by how much damage they actually take. I'm still not about to heal one over a raid member though.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
I healed pets less in Cata than the previous expansion due to the fact that they took 90% reduced damage from random AoE damage, but that's apparently being reversed in MoP, so I'll probably go back to healing them more.

That plus the fact that the FOTM spec for hunters right now is BM, and BM pets do 70% of their damage, so if and when their pets die, their dps plummets as they have to cast revive pet. if the raid's not really struggling already, it's much easier for me to pop a riptide on the pet than to make the hunter's dps drop for 30 secs.

Good BM hunters have also been known to use their tanking pets to pick up a boss for the last bit of it's health if the tank dies. More reason for me to keep my eye on the pets.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
08/28/2012 11:11 PMPosted by Holocene
I've notice pets are taking a lot of damage in dungeons I've run today so maybe there's a bug or something.

I noticed the hunter's pet died extremely quickly in several situations in normal Tol'vir last night, even on trash. Something has definitely changed there. I needed to give the pet the attention I would normally give a particularly clumsy party member, so eventually I just stopped healing it.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
As stated above, it's because pets now take normal damage from AoE again.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
No, they aren't even on my frames.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
08/29/2012 05:16 AMPosted by Stormtides

Do you happen to have a source for that? Not saying you're mistaken, but I couldn't find any notes about it, and I thought there would be more of a uproar, given how crippling that would be to hunters.

In my searches, I did discover Growl is now a true taunt, which is definitely what was happening last night. So in my run it was just a case of misguided hunter.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
I don't. They are already healing sponges because CH likes to jump on them.

I'd be surprised if removing their 90% AoE damage mitigation was intended.
Edited by Korghal on 8/29/2012 6:40 AM PDT
Reply Quote
93 Gnome Priest
Same as most everyone, I don't. They get my aoe heals anyways.

If it becomes a problem in a raid I will, but they are generally designed to keep themselves alive (reduced aoe damage taken, warlocks heal them passively, hunters have a mend pet ability). If they die, usually the owner is doing something stupid with them.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Shaman
08/29/2012 06:30 AMPosted by Mokeshin

Do you happen to have a source for that? Not saying you're mistaken, but I couldn't find any notes about it, and I thought there would be more of a uproar, given how crippling that would be to hunters.

In my searches, I did discover Growl is now a true taunt, which is definitely what was happening last night. So in my run it was just a case of misguided hunter.

I, too, am curious about that. I was in an end time with a hunter yesterday and despite it not having aggro his pet died on absolutely every pull until I began noticing it and tossing it some heals. Normally it's not on my vuhdo however I can see when they are dead on my party frames in 5 mans which makes it slightly awkward to heal going back and forth, but I found myself tossing heals on pets for the first time really all expansion.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]