Pets, mounts, & achievements

Support Forum Agent
Good morning folks,

We just wanted to give you a heads up about how these will work.

To access pets, mounts, & achievements from other characters, first add them to your journal by logging in to those characters.

In other words - the lists will build as you log into your characters the first time.

NOTE: While the option to cage pets is in the menu, that functionality will NOT be in until the release of Mists of Pandaria. Also, the pet battle interface is present, but that is also not live until release.

Post-Patch Addendum - CROSS BATTLE.NET TRANSFERS

Please be aware that pets do not travel with characters across different Battle.net accounts now, post-patch. Caging functionality will not be in until Mists is released.

Once caging is in, you'll have the option to cage up and take with you the pets you want during such a move - or handing them off, but right now, that is NOT an option.
Edited by Orlyia on 8/30/2012 2:31 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Warrior
08/28/2012 11:01 AMPosted by Orlyia
NOTE: While the option to cage pets is in the menu, that functionality will NOT be in until the release of Mists of Pandaria. Also, the pet battle interface is present, but that is also not live until release.

Good lord, why?

First I think I'll be able to keep all my pets, then I think I'll be losing over 1200 of my pets.

Now you tell me that I can keep my pets again, and that's great news.

But you've also effectively just told me that I can't play most of my characters until MoP releases unless I want to lose a whole bunch of pets because I won't be able to take them out of the journal until after MoP releases.
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
They all go into the journal. You'll be able to crate the extras at launch.
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Warrior
08/28/2012 01:34 PMPosted by Orlyia
They all go into the journal. You'll be able to crate the extras at launch.

Yeah, I get that.

Let me explain fully.

On Lothar, I've got 18 characters on 2 accounts. Across those characters I have a total of 2207 minipets.

Now, I know a bunch of those are considered unique, but when I allow for that on my spreadsheet, I've still got around 1700 minipets across those toons. (I can't say exactly how many since my spreadsheet isn't completely current.) Now, as you can imagine, I have a lot of duplicates. Many of those duplicates are the common pets (vendor pets and so on). However, I'm also pretty rabid about pet collecting, so (for example) I have 14 or 15 of each of the 4 color whelpling minipets across those 18 toons. I've got a lot of duplicates of other rare drop pets as well.

Initially, based on Kaivax's post, I expected things to merge all at once. And according to Kaivax's post, while you can exceed the 500 limit on the new journal, you can only have 3 of any particular type of pet. Which means my 1700ish minipets would plunge down to under 500. I thought you guys were basically deleting 1200+ of my pets.

Then came your post and welcome relief. At least until I got to the end of it.

Based on your post and Kaivax's, if I don't want to lose anything past the third one of any of those rare pets, I can only log in a maximum of 3 toons that have those pets prior to the launch of MoP because if I do log in a 4th toon the duplicates will all (effectively) vanish.

In order to have them not vanish, I need to wait until MoP release to log in any further toons because I'll want to pull pets out of the journal before proceeding to log in the next character.
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
No, they should all go into your journal. I'm unaware of any caps at this time.
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Warrior
08/28/2012 02:05 PMPosted by Orlyia
No, they should all go into your journal. I'm unaware of any caps at this time.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6413172080
1. There will be a limit of 500 pets, per player, that can be carried going forward.
  • Players will be allowed to go over the 500 pet cap during the 5.0.4 migration.
  • The migration will not convert more than a total of 1500 pets for a player.
  • Unique pets will be merged, so there will not be more than one unique pet on an account.

4. All standard pets will be merged, with a limit of three per type. Players who currently have more than three of the same pet across their characters will see a total of three after the migration. Examples of standard pets: Orange Tabby Cat, Brown Prairie Dog, Crimson Whelpling.

I chopped out the middle, but kept the relevant parts.
Edited by Tiggindy on 8/28/2012 2:14 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
Ahhh, I didn't realize they had put a cap in there. I know on my own, I'll have over 800.

In your case then, perhaps just pick the characters that are most valuable for you to play till release. That's really all I can recommend, although if there are some like common store-bought pets that you can parse out by deleting - that should get you more room as well.
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Warrior
08/28/2012 02:29 PMPosted by Orlyia
In your case then, perhaps just pick the characters that are most valuable for you to play till release.

Well, my shaman since I'm still doing JC dailies to get all the recipes. Tigg, just because, and I need to pick a third.

Although, I suppose I could work on my Worgen and Goblin. I never got around to getting most of the rare pets for them, so they should be okay to log in (I'll have to check my spreadsheet to be sure).

That's really all I can recommend, although if there are some like common store-bought pets that you can parse out by deleting - that should get you more room as well.

I was less worried about the 1500 than I was about the x3, but I'll be clearing out extras of the vendor pets regardless. 8)
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
I've read everything in this thread and the more I read, the more confused I get!

<---- this toon is my main toon. She has the most pets. My other alts probably don't have more than 5 pets each because that wasn't my focus. Bella has 130 pets total, but some of those pets were hard to come by, such as all 4 of the whelplings or the alliance tournament pets. I really don't care if any of my alts get these pets, it's not that important to me. But I don't want Bella to lose any of them, as she's my main. I have several alts on different servers.

Here's my confusion:

Do all 130 of Bella's pets propagate across ALL my alts (I think I have something like 20 alts in total)? Or do only 3 of my alts get to have Bella's pets? And if 3 of my alts "cage" the same pet (say, the crimson whelpling), does that mean that Bella loses the pet? I'm afraid that I'm going to mess up and screw myself out of my 130 pets (I'm working towards the pet achievement!).

I would be very appreciative to anyone who can shed light on this and help a poor woman out here.
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
Well, I know the 3 each is old info, but I can't swear about the total cap.
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Warrior
08/28/2012 02:45 PMPosted by Bellaryl
Do all 130 of Bella's pets propagate across ALL my alts (I think I have something like 20 alts in total)?

Imagine, if you will, something like the guild bank, but that bank is only accessible to your characters on a particular battle.net login. It doesn't matter what server your characters are on, or even if they're on separate wow licenses as long as they're under a single battle.net account. Now imagine that this bank only holds minipets. Now imagine that this bank that is accessible to all your characters has 500 slots. The only caveat is that you can't put more than 3 of any particular item in this bank.

Get the idea?

In other words, Bella and all of your other 19 toons will all have access to the same pets.

And if 3 of my alts "cage" the same pet (say, the crimson whelpling), does that mean that Bella loses the pet?

No.

If Bella has a Crimson Whelpling, then when you log into Bella the pet journal will now have a Crimson Whelpling in it, as well as all of Bella's other pets.

When you log into another character, all of that character's pets will go into the journal as well.

So say you have a toon xBellax that has a Crimson whelpling too and 5 other pets that Bella has, but she also has a Crimson Lasher that Bella doesn't, . xBellax will now see a pet journal with all of Bella's pets, plus a crimson lasher and a second Crimson Whelpling and each of the 5 pets that Bella had (assuming none were unique pets).

When you log back into Bella, you'll see the same thing. All the pets you had before, plus the Crimson Lasher and a second of the Crimson Whelpling and the 5 other pets.

When you log into a third character, that character's pets will also be added into the journal. And so on as you log in each character.

I'm afraid that I'm going to mess up and screw myself out of my 130 pets (I'm working towards the pet achievement!).

You're not a rabid collector like me, so you won't have the same problems.

My problem, using the the Crimson Whelpling, is that Tiggindy, Tiggandy, Mirai, Zottie, Mitrian, Koyomi, Rauni, Ambelsa, Rovina, Miari, Sachrissa, Senua, Asheley, Squeances, Gummiberry and Lindesfarne all have one. Huh, I guess that's 16 and not 15...

Anywho, If I log in Tiggindy, Rovina and Mirai, I'll now have 3 Crimson Whelplings in my pet journal. If I then log in Rauni, I'll still only have 3 Crimson Whelplings in the pet journal, so I've basically lost one of my whelplings.
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
No, you'll have 4. I can confirm from personal testing that the 3 limit was old info, although I can't swear on the total cap because I didn't get near that.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Tigg - Thank you so much for clarifying. I was worried that I could only log in with 3 toons, and I couldn't decide who I liked enough to give all my pets to!

So...based on what you said, EVERY alt I have will have the same mounts/companions as my main (with the exception of the faction/class specific ones). Furthermore, if two of my toons have the same pet (say, 2 crimson whelplings), that means I will have 2 crimson whelplings and might be able to sell the additional one, though the selling is not so important to me. I just want to make sure that all my little friends don't get lost!

Awesome! It is so nice to have a question answered quickly!
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Warrior
08/28/2012 03:13 PMPosted by Orlyia
No, you'll have 4. I can confirm from personal testing that the 3 limit was old info, although I can't swear on the total cap because I didn't get near that.

Actually, Mumper's post said that we could go past 500 and x3, but Kaivax's post (which was more recent than Mumper's) said that the x3 was in place.

I've got 5x Albino snake in my journal at the moment, so I know you can go past 3, which makes me happy.

Thanks.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Warrior
My Traveler's Tundra is not merging into my mount journal, but other pets did, is it because it's a Horde toon, which shouldn't matter because the other mounts on my Horde toon did merge.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Rogue
08/28/2012 03:35 PMPosted by Soulost
My Traveler's Tundra is not merging into my mount journal, but other pets did, is it because it's a Horde toon, which shouldn't matter because the other mounts on my Horde toon did merge.
I'm having the same issue, have the achievement after logging into my characters but no Tundra Mammoth in my journal.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Warrior
08/28/2012 04:10 PMPosted by Mythox
I'm having the same issue, have the achievement after logging into my characters but no Tundra Mammoth in my journal.

It isn't just me then, but other ppl got theirs merged /sigh
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Hunter
Oh come on! You guys nerfed hunters, you have graphical problems and you can't be bothered to release pet battled at patch 5.0? What are you smoking????

The only good thing is that my mounts work.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
The Tundra mammoth is a mount that has both a horde and alliance version. Thats why it doesn't show cross faction.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Warrior
08/28/2012 04:29 PMPosted by Tythe
The Tundra mammoth is a mount that has both a horde and alliance version. Thats why it doesn't show cross faction.

awww kk ty =) guess I have to fork over the gold to buy it Alliance now =/
Edited by Soulost on 8/28/2012 4:37 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]