MacBookPro Retina Resolution Issues

90 Blood Elf Warlock
ugh the Screen shots came out a bit blurry too i think or maybe thats just me. But im not lying to you. For the ss with vent open and not wow it was crystal clear though it may not show that in the shot.

sorry i cant give better examples. :S
Reply Quote
Blizzard Employee
Your screenshots are in low resolution, that would explain why everything looks pixelated.
We'll investigate.

Anybody else is having this issue?
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
I just got my new macbook pro retina today. The colours look amazing and I feel like I can finally see all the bright effects on my shadow and on my spells. But, the font size for my chat area and the hotbars are now too small, much smaller than they were on my 13". Is there a way to fix this? I tried different things in the System area, such as changing the size of the UI and changing the resolution, but nothing helped.
I basically feel like I need reading glasses now - it looks like a size 8 or 9 font.

***Edit: Ah, I had to click the box next to the UI slider. Font is fixed now***
Edited by Shadenfreud on 9/13/2012 10:24 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
I have a MBPr as well, upgraded to Mountain Lion and am having the same issue with the rainbow tearing and streaks... it seems to happen less than prior to the last set of patches and hotfixes, but it still happens quite frequently. Most often when I open a bag or my character screen, pet window, etc. Very rarely does it happen without me opening some wow window.

Do we have an update on when this will be fixed? I hope before launch!
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
100 Human Warrior
that should be fixed in 10.8.2, do soon™

it may also be fixed if you install these on 10.8.1
http://www.nvidia.com/object/macosx-304.00.00f20-driver.html

although it'll take some tricking of installer to install em on a non mac pro. there are in fact drivers for 650 in the package though. Much better performance and bugfixed ones.. However,i only suggest it to those that know how to install em. those that don't should wait for 10.8.2's inferior drivers that fix the problem but do not contain the performance enhancements.

S4d1k, you should give these driversa whirl though on your retina test rigs, you'll be like "whoa" heh. ;)

VERY IMPORTANT, they are dsigned for 10.8.1, not 10.8 and not 10.8.2 (beta or final), and most certainly not 10.7. installing them on anything but 10.8.1 will result in inability to boot machine.
Edited by Omegal on 9/16/2012 2:21 PM PDT
Reply Quote
95 Blood Elf Hunter
I get the same when I full screen my retina and log in. I found out that if you window the log in screen and then choose you toon, it doesn't happen. I wait about five to ten minutes then go full screen. I also have mine on the "Good" settings Sunshafts and SSGO (or whatever it is) disabled and my fps are still around 45 to 60, the lowest I seen was 29 fps. Fans blowing but not like to was a few weeks ago and the temps below 180 F, at least I can play. The only issues I'm have is when my daughter down loads from Netflix, my latency goes to crap. Other than that its a learning curve.

Cheers
Edited by Gatorwoufe on 9/16/2012 4:22 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
09/16/2012 12:11 PMPosted by Bjorne
I have a MBPr as well, upgraded to Mountain Lion and am having the same issue with the rainbow tearing and streaks... it seems to happen less than prior to the last set of patches and hotfixes, but it still happens quite frequently. Most often when I open a bag or my character screen, pet window, etc. Very rarely does it happen without me opening some wow window.

Having the exact same issues at the same times, returned my last one due to overheating and the screen rainbow/tearing thinking it was with the computer (it had other issues as well) but this new one is having the same thing happen. Also happens when changing zones/portals etc. Also having low FPS issues, at good settings excluding water, sunshafts, multisampling and shadows on low I'm never above 20 fps.

I should mention that I usually play in windowed however I get the same problems in full screen and vsync on/off doesn't make a difference.
Edited by Luwna on 9/18/2012 1:19 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
hey i just bought a mbpR too luwna how exciting right .... haha
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
Hey i had another question for a blue. Before patch 5.0.4, the native resolution would jump to 2880 x w/e when you tabbed out of game. When you went back in game it played in native 2880 with a very tiny mouse but everything looked incredible.

Since the patch, the native resolution (i work in 1920 x w/e) goes down to 1440 when i start up wow and the game plays in a wierd 1440 (massive cursor) but set to 2880 in the game settings.

So my questions:
1. Is this intended?
2. Is there a way of going back to have the game run in true native 2880 as it did before the patch?
3. Is there some kind of medium we could get between those resolutions so our cursor is neither massive or tiny?
4. What resolution are we really playing in right now?

Final note:
I tested this out. I opened the game up and my native out of game resolution automatically went down to 1440. I then turned it back up to a native 2880 via using the app 'Display Mintor'. This resulted in making my game go a quarter size of the screen with only one small corner of the game window working. The rest of the game window had those graphical error streaking/flashing things. I entered fullscreen mode and the entire screen went bezerk in flashing graphic streaks.

I then had to force quit wow.

Im so confused as what we are supposed to be playing this game in and how it should be set with our out of game resolution. Its the only experience i have had where i go open an app and it automatically changes the resolution of my screen out of the game. This is especially weird as it worked better before patch 5.0.4 because you could truly set your in game resolution to whatever you wanted. Now you cant.

Please would love some answers. Its getting really annoying.
Reply Quote
1 Draenei Hunter
Since the newest update the colors are messed up for me. Like way too psychedelic! And bright. Runs great framerate wise besides that tho which is weird . Im on an old macbook, with all specs set to low. Any help?
Reply Quote
1 Draenei Hunter
Whoa, now it won't even run. Freezes at the main password screen. Then whole computer freezes and I have to reboot. Arghhh, this is so frustrating.
Sorry to post about it here, but I can't start a new thread(due to free account) Please help! Thanks

I am the same poster as glack, ^above

***OK, now it runs but the graphics are on acid still !! Hyper bright but gamma doesn't fix it. Well its better than nothing but looks way too goofy, almost unplayable
Edited by Vaporghost on 9/19/2012 10:57 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Blizzard Employee
This thread is for retina MBP, if you don't have one please create another thread. If you do have, update to 10.8.2

Antelathil, the resolution that you select is the resolution that the game uses. If you select 2880 then that many pixels will be on the screen. The cursor is the normal size unless you changed it through "Universal Access". This is as designed by Apple. Also, we do not support third party app like "Display Mintor".
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
Running 10.8.2 on a MBPr at recommended settings. That is I pressed the recommended button. Frame rate is 10 fps... This is completely unusable.
Reply Quote
Blizzard Employee
Can you create a new thread for your issue Macoun? This thread is related to resolution issues on the new rMBP, which your issue is related to frame rates.

We want to ensure we keep threads to the original topic, so create a new thread all together will be the best route for your issue. We don't want to mix information/solutions.
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
100 Human Warrior
Something is wrong there.

did you install using combo updater?

also, after an update of that size, have you verified that time machine or spotlight aren't indexing or doing a backup? either one would consume your systems resources heavily until process completes. Make sure neither are running. you can open activity monitor app from applications/utilities/ActivityMonitor then sort by cpu usage, click "processes from all users" in popup, and see if mdimport is or time machine are using a lot of cpu time.

Create a new post with your problem as well as this information.
Edited by Omegal on 9/19/2012 12:04 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Tao
Running 10.8.2, Macbook Pro Retina, 8 gig ram, using gfxcardstatus to make sure the discrete card is running.

Running on "good settings" and getting 20fps. Used to get well over 30. Not sure what has changed but something has definitely happened.
Edited by Dabradin on 9/19/2012 12:35 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Anyone updated without issues? I'm getting about 50-70 fps on my preferred settings in 10.8.1 - I'm reluctant to do the update if this gets dramatically reduced, as WoW is pretty much the only game I play.
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
100 Human Warrior
09/19/2012 08:30 PMPosted by Nandemoii
Anyone updated without issues? I'm getting about 50-70 fps on my preferred settings in 10.8.1 - I'm reluctant to do the update if this gets dramatically reduced, as WoW is pretty much the only game I play.

10.8.2 is fine. now when you install the firmware update too, you MAY see a huge fps drop but that's just from SMC getting a little wack in firmware update, you just reset that and good to go. the firmware update is still recommended as it can avoid kernel panics from CPU. today was a good day for retina's
76 Draenei Mage
Hey everyone I am haveing the same issues with the fan running hot, the action bars and info being too small, the only fix I have found is if you change the resolution to 960x600 the action bar sizes fix however the graphics then suck obviously because of the low non native resolution and it does not make my mbpr run any less hot the fans still run full force any update yet?
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Hunter
hi, i habe a macbook pro retina too and yes what you suggested does work for fixing the font size for chat general/combat but is there anyway to increase the font size for your quests without installing cabonite
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]