[Guardian] - MoP Tanking Guide (5.4)

90 Night Elf Druid
Weapon: River's Song

I will be checking on the 'bear after posting here, but with all the changes to the proc rates that have been implemented, is River's Song still the BiS enchant? As you can see, I'm using a lower enchant, but I'm looking to upgrade my weapon and enchant as the opprotunity presents itself.

Edit: Arielle was kind enough to answer this via Twitter. WS is still by farthe best multi-purpose and RPS enchant.

My thanks to him.
Edited by Verrin on 12/10/2012 2:02 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
CFT
The guide here (and on MMOC) is out of date compared to the TiB one. It's a lot of work to port it between forum syntaxes, so I try to wait until it's in a "stable" state before doing so. It's almost in a state where I can do so though. Should be soon.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
12/10/2012 04:49 PMPosted by Arielle
The guide here (and on MMOC) is out of date compared to the TiB one. It's a lot of work to port it between forum syntaxes, so I try to wait until it's in a "stable" state before doing so. It's almost in a state where I can do so though. Should be soon.

Migrate one format into Notepad++ and then Find&Replace can become your best friend. I find that works wonders for me, when taking one message across numerous websites.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
CFT
Migrate one format into Notepad++ and then Find&Replace can become your best friend. I find that works wonders for me, when taking one message across numerous websites.
Yes, that's what I'm doing. However that only goes so far.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Thanks for the information.

Would it be possible to post some ball park stat ranges for entering heroics and raids. (like armor, dodge, stam, agility)

This may be because I skipped cata. But are we suppose to spam savage defense? Because it does not feel like a strategic tool to me. It feels like something designed to make me debate how to spend rage. Am I viewing this incorrectly?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
CFT
12/21/2012 07:50 AMPosted by Suialthor
Would it be possible to post some ball park stat ranges for entering heroics and raids. (like armor, dodge, stam, agility)
The item level requirement for Dungeon Finder is all you need for "heroic" 5mans.

For normal raids just be wearing 463 gear in almost every slot (Dragonling obviously is an exception).

But are we suppose to spam savage defense?
Pretty much, unless there's a specific reason to use Frenzied Regen instead, or if you need to save SD for something in particular.

Because it does not feel like a strategic tool to me. It feels like something designed to make me debate how to spend rage. Am I viewing this incorrectly?
That's pretty much spot on.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
Ghost Iron Dragonling - Engineer Only (Mastery / Dodge Cogwheels)
GID is not Engineer only. Only engineers can make them, but everyone can socket cogwheels in them, and everyone can equip them. They do bind on equip.

Great druid guide!

Gruide!

This may be because I skipped cata. But are we suppose to spam savage defense? Because it does not feel like a strategic tool to me. It feels like something designed to make me debate how to spend rage. Am I viewing this incorrectly?
I see it as:
Savage Defense is preparatory mitigation, to be used prior to periods of sustained high damage taken(melee only, of course), and Frenzied Regeneration is reactive mitigation, to be used after you've taken high damage.

Maul is there for when you have no need for the extra mitigation, so you can turn that Rage into DPS instead.
Edited by Amplexius on 12/21/2012 4:44 PM PST
Reply Quote
51 Tauren Druid
Hello bears :) Been leveling another druid recently to see how it's different after nearly 6 years, and quite a bit's changed. Currently it's only about level 35, but ever since I picked up thrash, it's been nothing short of a blast. I use kitty alot currently because of how much boa trivializes dungeon content. I was interested to find that bear thrash and kitty thrash can both exist on targets. I've been seeing some crazy aoe numbers with these in low level instances, as any lowbie tank should, but this is some of the highest aoe yet.

To that end, I was wondering if this was still worthwhile at level cap. I think the vengeance/buffs lost might make it so, but I'd still appreciate any input. I think it's also more than possible to squeeze in kitty form without being hit in kitty during trash pulls, by using dash to shift into kitty (doesn't cost a gcd), hitting thrash, then quickly hitting growl to shift into bear (doesn't cost a gcd either). Would there be a macro for this?
Edited by Jarryle on 12/30/2012 5:32 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
CFT
12/30/2012 03:11 AMPosted by Jarryle
I was wondering if this was still worthwhile at level cap.

No. Vengeance drops immediately upon shifting into Cat form.

12/30/2012 03:11 AMPosted by Jarryle
I think it's also more than possible to squeeze in kitty form without being hit in kitty during trash pulls,
There's really no reason to at max level. Either things will kill you instantly if they hit you in cat form (raids) or they're already dead (5mans).
Reply Quote
Hiya! I've been relying on your guide for some months now, and it's helped me get going with tanking since DS. What with all the changes, I'm a little lost though.

One thing I'm unsure about - In the event that a gem slot doesn't require a specific color (IE The belt buckle), should we be using a pure stam gem? A pure dodge gem? Something else?

The other that's sort of tripping me up is the number of cooldowns. Tier 2pc indicates that Might of Ursoc should be used regularly, but it always struck me as one of the weaker cooldowns. I'd been relying on Barkskin and Survival Instincts (I only just found Savage Defense and need to reconsider this, as well) with Renewal for tight situations (Either when healers are down or when soloing), and really only used Might of Ursoc when I thought I'd run out of things to use. Can you shed some light on why Might of Ursoc is worthwhile, and/or what cooldowns should be considered in general?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
CFT
12/31/2012 05:16 PMPosted by Katecia
One thing I'm unsure about - In the event that a gem slot doesn't require a specific color (IE The belt buckle), should we be using a pure stam gem? A pure dodge gem? Something else?
Whatever you "need" really. I generally swap it between Crit/Hit/Exp depending on where I am with caps, etc.

12/31/2012 05:16 PMPosted by Katecia
Can you shed some light on why Might of Ursoc is worthwhile, and/or what cooldowns should be considered in general?
The thing you need to remember about MoU is that it increases both your current and total HP when used. So SI is going to be pretty useless if you're under 100k since there's a pretty good chance you'll die anyway - but you still need to stay alive somehow.

Perfect situation in which you would use MoU.
Reply Quote
60 Night Elf Death Knight
12/10/2012 04:49 PMPosted by Arielle
The guide here (and on MMOC) is out of date compared to the TiB one.

TiB? What's that? :)

EDIT: Just did a little search on google and The Inconspicuous Bear appeared :)
Edited by Eldinore on 1/2/2013 10:47 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I have a bit of a theory, but as somebody who does progression as a healer (not on my bear alt, as evidenced by my kills on this thing), I'd like to run it by you guys and get some opinions.

The base of it is: Stacking rage generation stats until your eyes bleed is a bit worse of a strategy for 25 mans because you have more healers to heal you (5-6 instead of 2-3) and the tank damage is ramped up to compensate. Not saying one difficulty is harder than another, mind you, just designed differently to deal with the different comp.

Once you have enough rage to keep a very high uptime (near max) on SD, Frenzied Regen is not as crucial for 25's because you are typically 6 healing progression with dedicated tank healers. Any good tank will still use it when needed, but it's needed less frequently in 25's than in 10's. Likewise, due to bosses and mechanics hitting harder (particularly burst damage) there is higher need for Stamina and Mastery.

This is just a theory created by a Holy Paladin who heals a Bear tank through 25's. (She goes for a bit of rage gen stats, Mastery, and Stamina, everything in moderation - which I think is a good way to do things for 25's.) I'd like to hear some feedback. This alt does 10's so I'm gonna go ahead and go back to the Arielle way of doing things, but I think it's an interesting concept.
Edited by Chairmanmeow on 1/10/2013 12:27 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
You've still got tooth and claw procs you could be using rage on, i seldomly have enough rage to keep SD going and use tooth and claw even with my current 36.51% crit (unbuffed caster form)
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
What cat said.. you most likely will not have enough rage to use every tooth and claw and have savage defense on cooldown 24/7 before awhile. Besides, both synergise in complete awesomeness: You dodge 60% of whats coming towards you, and everyting that hits you is reduced in damage, glorious.

As far as frenzied regen goes, there are moments where you dip lower in health, even with dedicated healers, its always an added safety to pop regen right there, probably one less heal on you too.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
As somebody who has done exclusively 25 man (and 25 heroic) raiding since MoP, I have found that rage generation stats work quite well overall.

With a high enough gear level maintaining SD becomes pitifully easy, and all that extra rage goes straight into TC or FR. On some bosses I am even in the situation of using nonTC mauls because I'm at full health and the boss already has TC or it hasn't procced yet just so I dont spend too much time at 100 rage.

Dreyen is right, especially on single target physical damage only fights, SD and TC synergize really well. While working on H empress I sometimes will only take 600k damage before my cotank has to taunt.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Paladin
Interesting, and I appreciate the feedback. It's probably worth noting that Wens does go for a few Stam enchants where Arielle recommends Agility, but otherwise they're both pretty much stacking rage generation stats. So in other words, I'm wrong :-P

Good to know. Our bear tank is really amazing and already quite easy to heal, so I see no need to tell her "hey ur gearin wrong lawl" but still good info.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
Just curious, how big is the dps difference between hit/exp and crit? I'm thinking of probably going cat offspec, thus going for 7.5% hit/exp for better offspeccing... would be decent since its pretty much all dps stats and enchants for bears right now >.<
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
CFT
Just curious, how big is the dps difference between hit/exp and crit? I'm thinking of probably going cat offspec, thus going for 7.5% hit/exp for better offspeccing... would be decent since its pretty much all dps stats and enchants for bears right now >.<
I could probably figure out some way of calculating this this weekend.

Would be better to have 2 sets of gear though.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
See TLDR version down below if you don't feel like reading much.

I was recently told by the guild that they may need me to tank in the near future. I'm a feral druid by trade, but I've tanked on warriors/druids in previous expansions, so I'm a decent "back up" pick for a smaller guild. As such, I've been doing some research. Most people seem to stack hit/expertise cap, then focus on crit. I've seen that most everywhere I've looked, though there's little that says you HAVE to do it that way.

As a feral druid, I have been stacking mastery then crit on my gear. I completely ignore hit/expertise at this point. We can delve more into that on another topic, but basically my thought is to maximize the damage my yellow abilities do even if it costs me some white damage. I've tried it both ways and I seem to average about 5% more DPS without hit/expertise during practical applications in MSV. Against a test-dummy, it's pretty close to even.

Since I've got a good chunk of mastery on my gear, my armor is relatively high. Tanking heroics, LFR and Sha have gone quite smooth. I'm considering keeping it this way. Thoughts?

TLDR Version - I use the same gear for feral and guardian specs. Is it scary to have little-to-no hit/expertise, 15% dodge, 90k armor and 450k health for tanking MSV/HoF with? Note, these are all unbuffed stats.
Edited by Dahrn on 2/1/2013 8:33 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]