[Guardian] - MoP Tanking Guide (5.4)

90 Tauren Druid
Anyways havent tanked since Lichking, been reading up on the bear spec and just want some different insights on the route i should take. The way I see most people gem is pure rage regen, but im just wondering even with this spec can it hold up for fresh 90s getting thrown into 10 mans.
Edited by Indent on 4/5/2013 5:52 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
CFT
Most likely a dumb question, but - when is it worth while to break the T14 4pc LFR?
When you get 2pc t15 of any quality.

Anyways havent tanked since Lichking, been reading up on the bear spec and just want some different insights on the route i should take. The way I see most people gem is pure rage regen, but im just wondering even with this spec can it hold up for fresh 90s getting thrown into 10 mans.

Definitely.
Edited by Arielle on 4/5/2013 6:24 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
So basicly if i went more the Survival way to raiding for awhile untill my "lfr" gear gets replaced? cause the crits are great for keeping up SD. but surviving with crap for HP isnt working that well when your getting pounded with low dodge lol

Could be me, but i dunno guess ill find out when way works best for me lol
Edited by Indent on 4/5/2013 10:33 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
CFT
So basicly if i went more the Survival way to raiding for awhile untill my "lfr" gear gets replaced? cause the crits are great for keeping up SD. but surviving with crap for HP isnt working that well when your getting pounded with low dodge lol
Nothing really hurts that bad to be honest. You'll do fine.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
looking for some pointers on how to get threat and hold it on Horridon adds. Does anyone else have this same issue/problem? its not only on door 3, its on every door that I'm having trouble. Have not had this issue since I began tanking at the start of wotlk. Thx in advance for all your help.
Edited by Sylamor on 4/6/2013 8:08 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
CFT
looking for some pointers on how to get threat and hold it on Horridon adds. Does anyone else have this same issue/problem? its not only on door 3, its on every door that I'm having trouble. Have not had this issue since I began tanking at the start of wotlk. Thx in advance for all your help.

You're way over the Expertise and Hit caps, might want to find a way to fix that.

But to answer your actual question I do adds on doors 2&4. They stick to me without issue after I land a Thrash and a Maul. The adds themselves hardly deal much damage, so there's no harm in dumping Rage into Maul if you only have a couple of them on you.

Once you get a bunch, I like to pop Berserk and NV. Burns them down pretty fast and definitely makes them stick. Don't be afraid to taunt runners and tag new mobs with FFF.

The problem happens when the Horridon tank hits one of the adds (either on purpose or by accident). They are going to have way more Vengeance than you, which makes it pretty impossible to get it back.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
Thx for your response. Upgraded 2 pcs last night that's why stats were over cap. Didn't have time to reforge and re-gem properly.
Back to my question, what I usually do is go thrash and swipe the first 2 that come out the door. When the first add drops from up top I taunt and try to build threat but by that time I have more coming out the door going for heals, dps or the other tank so taunt is on cd. I ff one and charge the other but end up losing threat on the ones I already have. I dont want to blame my dps but im afraid that's whats happening. It is a constant ff/taunt game. Should the tank on Horridon move further away from the door or does that affect the threat on adds at all? Thx again.

I mangle more than maul so could that be the problem as well?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
CFT
Should the tank on Horridon move further away from the door or does that affect the threat on adds at all? Thx again.

I don't think that's a big deal. Just as long as they don't hit them with a single target attack you should be fine.

Of course, if the other tank is intentionally trolling you, there isn't much you can do ^.^
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
Indomitable Primal Diamond
www.wowhead.com/item=95344

Seems pretty sexy. Will the 20% damage reduction factor in on effects which currently ignore our armor (Tortos bite comes to mind)?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
CFT
Seems pretty sexy. Will the 20% damage reduction factor in on effects which currently ignore our armor (Tortos bite comes to mind)?

Nobody knows for certain since nobody has it yet (to my knowledge), but I imagine it would based on the wording.

Even if it doesn't it's still wayyyyyyy better than the existing Armor meta.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
Which is better
Haste or Hit that is already above cap.
Obviously hit TO 7.5% is better, but past that vs haste?

The reason - something has hit and haste, which do I reforge?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
CFT
Hit above 7.5% is worth exactly 0.

Therefore keep the Haste.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
Is there a crit cap?
Edited by Limber on 4/11/2013 11:16 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
CFT
Is there a crit cap?

Soft cap is 76%, 79% on your character sheet vs raid bosses.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
CFT
04/11/2013 07:45 PMPosted by Hycz
You are a good looking bear tank. Is there a reason that I feel like guardian does really low damage without vengance, to the point where its hard to keep aggro?
I don't really have this problem :\

Do you have a log I could look at?

Also, is a mastery stacking build viable with gear?

Eh, not really at 522s, you end up sacrificing too much RPS. 535+ it might be more viable, haven't really bothered to look since there's hardly anyone there yet.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
Yeah Hycz, you shouldnt have problems on pull, although i know enh shamans can unload a pretty impressive burst right off the bat, at you going at a boss/mob half-hearted? I find threat can be flimsy at the start of a fight if youre not the first to plunge head in in a raid with trigger happy DPS, other than that idk what could give you bad threat.. im sure you have MDs/Tricks too, yes?

As for stats, you seem to be reforging mastery which is not really the preferred reforging strat. You really want to go for 7.5% hit 15% exp, thatll prevent and funky parries that would mess up with your opener. Hit = Exp > Crit > Haste in almost all situations.

Also... always good to review the basics once in awhile to see if you're doing the right rotation. One mangle should give you threat coverage for quite a few seconds thouh.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
Is this a good time to ask about the Legendary Meta gems? I get the impression that due to the fact that the tank one is "on hit", as in we need to be hit, that the crit one might be better for us, but I haven't found any actual theorycrafting anywhere on the matter.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
CFT
Is this a good time to ask about the Legendary Meta gems? I get the impression that due to the fact that the tank one is "on hit", as in we need to be hit, that the crit one might be better for us, but I haven't found any actual theorycrafting anywhere on the matter.
It's RPPM, so the actual time between events doesn't matter, you will still have the same amount of uptime.

It's just the same choice of survivability vs DPS.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Is there a reason that I feel like guardian does really low damage without vengance, to the point where its hard to keep aggro?

As for the initial pull, I normally have to open with a berserk just to hold aggro by spamming mangle because our dpsers are so high its hard to threat against them (enh shamans esp).

LOL Hycz....Also.....when did Ruin Switch to a tank druid?

Also, is a mastery stacking build viable with gear?

I actually wanted to try this for fun....stacking Stam and mastery.....It would actually be kinda like the cutting edge monk tanking build that some monk tanks do....But I don't want to spend the money as I know I would just end up going back to my current build being that Rage > relying on healers always cause you'd barely be able to use active mitigations....and your 2 piece would become worthless. Literally.

btw Arielle....Now that you have been able to experience the 2 piece in New content, what do you think? Im still not the biggest fan of it...I think it would be better if it didn't drop off so fast....but in it's current form, it's still not THAT great. It comes in handy sometimes, but It would be much more better if it stayed on for like 15. Then it would be PERFECT. Also...tho I haven't got it yet, I still think the 4 pc sucks.
Edited by Morphina on 4/19/2013 10:21 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]