[Guardian] - MoP Tanking Guide (5.4)

90 Night Elf Druid
Cause of the haste? With the guardian one ur getting over 900 in crit and u could reforge the mastery to get close to half of the haste.

I feel like all that hit on the feral helm goes to waste even if you reforge just cause we get so much hit on other pieces as well. I can't see it being THAT much better....but it would depend on what else you have and what trinkets u choose too.

With that said that dodge bonus is !@#$ing worthless.

I'm thinking about going just 2 piece and having whatever is best for rps/mitigation for the other 3 pieces if applicable as 4 pc just isn't all that necessary IMO
Edited by Morphina on 5/5/2013 11:10 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
CFT
Cause of the haste? With the guardian one ur getting over 900 in crit and u could reforge the mastery to get close to half of the haste.

And the Crit socket bonus.

I feel like all that hit on the feral helm goes to waste even if you reforge just cause we get so much hit on other pieces as well. I can't see it being THAT much better....but it would depend on what else you have and what trinkets u choose too.

It's very dependent on what other items you have. I'm having a pretty big problem with having tons of extra Hit, but that's only because I don't have a Rune yet. Once you have the actual "best" possible combination of gear the Feral helm becomes offset because of the high Haste, and the fact you can reforge the "wasted" hit into something more useful without dropping below cap or staying very far above it.

I'm thinking about going just 2 piece and having whatever is best for rps/mitigation for the other 3 pieces if applicable as 4 pc just isn't all that necessary IMO
Yeah, the assumption is that you want the 4pc bonus. There are definitely better RPS pieces for some of the other slots as well. It's possible that you only really *need* the 4pc for 25H. But I can certainly see places where it would be really good on 10H - like Horridon.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
In a thread on the tank forums, a monk posted the following (it was in a discussion of why tanks have different sized HP pools, in which in addition to pointing out the obvious variations in stam multipliers, someone claimed that plate tanks are more likely to gem stam because they have fewer other good stats to go for):

Not just sockets, leather tanks usually go for agi enchants, food, and flasks over the stam counterparts.

I don't know if he actually intended that to apply to druids too, but my immediate reaction was "I don't think I've ever done that", which was of course immediately followed by "Should I be doing that?"

I thought that agility isn't what it used to be and, in fact, is now a fairly low-priority stat when you take into account the amount of other stats you have to give up to get it (usually 1.5:1 stam and 2:1 secondary stats). Although it looks like the scaling on wrist enchants is kind of screwy, as you can actually get slightly MORE primary than secondary stat. So I guess in that case it is worth it.

It looks like you are in fact using agility leg and shoulder enchants, while page 1 of the guide still advises stam. Do you think this needs updating, or additional discussion of when to use each?

Of course, the armory can't show what consumables you use, but the guide advises stam food and either armor/mastery elixirs or the stam flasks. Is that still current information?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
CFT
I don't know if he actually intended that to apply to druids too, but my immediate reaction was "I don't think I've ever done that", which was of course immediately followed by "Should I be doing that?"

You get Agi (or Crit/Haste where possible) if you don't *need* Stamina.

It looks like you are in fact using agility leg and shoulder enchants, while page 1 of the guide still advises stam. Do you think this needs updating, or additional discussion of when to use each?
Yeah I need to fix that. Didn't realize that's what it still said.

Of course, the armory can't show what consumables you use, but the guide advises stam food and either armor/mastery elixirs or the stam flasks. Is that still current information?
Stam food is just easier because that's what you get from feasts. If you really want to farm your own food that's totally cool and you can use whatever you want.

Elxiir combo is definitely best (I get almost 3% crit being an Alchemist ^.^). But you still pick Stamina flask if you want eh. Agi flask is pretty much a waste of time.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
So in your guide you say stm+XX shoulder/leg chants but yet your using agil/crit ones? I'm doing the same an notice we're at about the same ilvl/content lvl, personally I'm finding on tot progression fights I'm running anywhere from 40-60% of my healing taken, just wondering if your finding the same.

edit: crisp you just answered this pg 14 instead of 15 ftl. But anyway are you finding a use for all the rage you can generate atm, because at this point in content I always feel like I can use more.
Edited by Felshifter on 5/8/2013 7:02 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
CFT
I'm finding on tot progression fights I'm running anywhere from 40-60% of my healing taken, just wondering if your finding the same.
I'm not entirely sure I understand what you are saying here. Can you elaborate?
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
05/09/2013 07:28 AMPosted by Arielle
I'm finding on tot progression fights I'm running anywhere from 40-60% of my healing taken, just wondering if your finding the same.
I'm not entirely sure I understand what you are saying here. Can you elaborate?

Of the effective healing being done to me I'm doing ~50% of it via FR/HS/Renewal/CW on most progression fights
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
CFT
Of the effective healing being done to me I'm doing ~50% of it via FR/HS/Renewal/CW on most progression fights

If you counted T&C I'd probably be somewhere close to that. Ji-Kun for example I did ~20% of my own healing.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
So I saw this hot-fix from yesterday

Growl should now properly transfer Vengeance to the casting Druid when taunting off of another tank character.

So does that mean we can steal the vengeance of the other tank. ~evil grin~
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Also, from the PTR for 5.3, our mastery is getting buffed by 4% what effect do you think this will have?
Reply Quote
95 Tauren Druid
So does that mean we can steal the vengeance of the other tank. ~evil grin~

Thankfully, no, it won't lower the other tank's vengeance. It would be an overall nerf to the raid if it did (considering even without this, you get a ton of vengeance from the first melee swing you take, to the point that this change has almost 0 impact).

Also worth noting as of raiding yesterday, this was still doing nothing for bears, so I had to log on a monk to try it out.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I'm finding displaced beast waaaaay more viable and fun even on iron qon and lei shen.

It's obvious why its nice for iron qon.

Displacer beast on lei shen is actually really fun to use with decapitate and fusion slash. There was a few times where I was paying more attention to the raid than myself just cause I lead the group and fusion slash knocked me off but I quickly would hit displaced beast and it would push me forward right back to the platform lol.

Feral charge on ji kun and feline swiftness on everything else seems the way to go. Unless ur really bad on durumu and u can't get out of purple, them u should get feral charge. But ud have to be really bad.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
05/14/2013 12:47 PMPosted by Morphina
Displacer beast on lei shen is actually really fun to use with decapitate and fusion slash.

Skull Bash takes care of Fusion Slash...
Decapitate is a joke on normal. (I just let the other tank take all the Decapitate and I remain with the boss.)
Reply Quote
95 Tauren Druid
Displacer beast on lei shen is actually really fun to use with decapitate and fusion slash.

Decapitate is a joke on normal. (I just let the other tank take all the Decapitate and I remain with the boss.)

That still is the encounter where I first started using Displacer. Mostly to solo a corner, just because it removed any chance of a screw up since I could get anywhere I needed to be, whether I could just sit in my corner or I had to go grab 4 diffusion adds off another corner because they stacked :P. Heck, most everything in the fight is just made twice as hard to screw up by taking DB.

(and skull bash is annoying to use for those types of things. Too close and it just does the interrupt without charging, and it gets out of range very quickly. It works, but WC/DB are much easier to use).
Edited by Ahanss on 5/14/2013 7:11 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
05/14/2013 07:10 PMPosted by Ahanss

That still is the encounter where I first started using Displacer. Mostly to solo a corner, just because it removed any chance of a screw up since I could get anywhere I needed to be, whether I could just sit in my corner or I had to go grab 4 diffusion adds off another corner because they stacked :P. Heck, most everything in the fight is just made twice as hard to screw up by taking DB.

(and skull bash is annoying to use for those types of things. Too close and it just does the interrupt without charging, and it gets out of range very quickly. It works, but WC/DB are much easier to use).

and it's just fun as hell to use.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I actually agree with arielle on something. feral helm does seem slightly better than the guardian one.

i think im gonna just run 2 piece with shoulders and chest. and use feral helm, and then the non set gloves and pants, instead of get 4 peice. the non set gloves and pants are so damn good for rps. (throwing just crit gems into the slots and ignoring the 2 blue slots of course, in regards to those gloves)

i just gotta get the shoulders now to be able to do it.

I think with this feral helm I'm going to use the dps legendary meta when I get enough secrets into it, then get the tank legendary meta and put that into the lightning-eye hood for fights I would prefer that meta.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
Is there a way I can track the power of my thrash I have been fiddling around with droodfocus and it does not change to "green" when my dot power goes past its threshold. Is there maybe something else out there that I can use or am I doing something wrong with it?
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
Also bear armor cap seems to be at around 140k and attainable at high ilvls.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Hunter
Also bear armor cap seems to be at around 140k and attainable at high ilvls.

Keep in mind, character sheet values are based on equal-level enemies. In this case, against level 90 enemies. You rarely meet level 90 opponents in raids, and boss mobs are always level 93. The cap for boss level enemies is significantly higher.

Caps (75%):
138772.5 against 90
150885 against 91
162997.5 against 92
175110 against 93
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
CFT
Is there a way I can track the power of my thrash I have been fiddling around with droodfocus and it does not change to "green" when my dot power goes past its threshold. Is there maybe something else out there that I can use or am I doing something wrong with it?

Not entirely sure what your question is. If you're asking if you can track how much damage your Thrash will do, I imagine a Weakaura could be made for such a purpose.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]