[Guardian] - MoP Tanking Guide (5.4)

90 Night Elf Druid
After trying H tortos for the first time, Druids seem to be real good tanks for H tortos (as oppossed to N tortos) just because of the shield. The fact that I can grab shield then frenzied regen the hell out of it to get it up to help my healers get it up...gives me so much more control over whether I die or not.....
Edited by Morphina on 7/31/2013 12:28 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
Running the 2p right now allows you to Max you shield out semi Frenzy Regens... your healers dont even need to worry about you.

Save your Barkskins, Surv Inst, etc for the Stomps... that way you never lose your shield... then pool some rage and use SD on the bats and "mini" Frenzy Regens :) makes the fight laughable... but not as laughable as monks / Frost DKs in Blood Pres kiting :(

If you have a DK in your group you can Symb him as well. (recommended) as the Bone Shield will not drop off because you technically don't take dmg until your crystal shell falls... which is next to never. :p
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Running the 2p right now allows you to Max you shield out semi Frenzy Regens... your healers dont even need to worry about you.

Save your Barkskins, Surv Inst, etc for the Stomps... that way you never lose your shield... then pool some rage and use SD on the bats and "mini" Frenzy Regens :) makes the fight laughable... but not as laughable as monks / Frost DKs in Blood Pres kiting :(

If you have a DK in your group you can Symb him as well. (recommended) as the Bone Shield will not drop off because you technically don't take dmg until your crystal shell falls... which is next to never. :p

thanks for the tips I guess? wasnt looking for advice, I know how to play my class. but thanks anyways.
Edited by Morphina on 7/31/2013 1:15 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Also, it seems like you are talking about tanking bats on H tortos...im talking about actually tanking H tortos
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
Also, it seems like you are talking about tanking bats on H tortos...im talking about actually tanking H tortos
Why are you tanking Tortos?
I dont fancy the snapping bites, even with the shield up. on bats i feel immortal. and it only requires me + 2 melee to cleave em down before the next stomp.

inb4: "iknowmyclass"
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
tanking tortos because the monk wants to kite. and thus my the whole point of my Original post about tanking tortos....i found that druids actually tank heroic tortos well because of the shield and frenzied regen.

With that said...WTF...we are losing NS?!?! Man.....that is a HUGE bummer for 10 mans.

especially when my comp has it so that it's only me with the Brez.....wtf
Edited by Morphina on 8/4/2013 5:51 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
With that said...WTF...we are losing NS?!?! Man.....that is a HUGE bummer for 10 mans.

especially when my comp has it so that it's only me with the Brez.....wtf

The new DoC (IIRC) should resolve that... but it will be a dps loss using it (not that huge im sure)
anking tortos because the monk wants to kite. and thus my the whole point of my Original post about tanking tortos....i found that druids actually tank heroic tortos well because of the shield and frenzied regen.
Everyone else just does it much better. Much...Better.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
08/04/2013 06:39 PMPosted by Rhiannora
(not that huge im sure)

10% ish

Which is pretty dumb for a T6 talent.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Doc, from what I read is a 20 percent chance to Proc off Crit.

Yea, we Crit alot, but it's still chance. Sometimes I need to NS+brez asap....

Not wait for a crit to proc.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
08/05/2013 11:18 AMPosted by Morphina
Doc, from what I read is a 20 percent chance to Proc off Crit.

45% now on PTR.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
Dream of cenarius now adds 10% crit chance to mangle, and barkskin cooldown is down to 30s instead of 1min as of leaked mmochamp patch notes... pretty op, although 10% crit on mangle doesnt seem to make the dps difference between other talents.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
08/06/2013 09:36 PMPosted by Dreyen
and barkskin cooldown is down to 30s instead of 1min

I read this as well and thought "that cant be right... sounds too good to be true"

I think DoC is heading places, There is actually "choice" now. Kind of sucks that its the only way to combat rez while tanking.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
I wonder, with the buff to Stamina, if stacking more stamina will be an effective strategy for bear tanks after the patch, considering we are getting a buff to our crit chance of mangle(talented). In other words, we are getting 20% more stamina baseline, meaning any additional stamina we add would also be buffed by 20%. Maybe it would vault our EH through the roof while still maintaining a very high crit chance for our active mitigation and frenzied regen usage.

Another thing I have been wondering: At what armor value are we capped. Personally I am around 71-72ish percent, and wondering if the next patch will cap us without gemming ,enchanting, or reforging into mastery. It is my understanding that armor gives a much larger damage reduction than many people realize( i.e 67% to 68% damage reduction is actually a 3% damage reduction).

I think the changes being made are excellent in terms of the stamina buff..it makes perfect sense for an avoidance tank who can occasionally take spike damage due to rng.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
Another thing I have been wondering: At what armor value are we capped.
It's like 170thousand something. I forget the exact number. It's not reachable without gemming Mastery.

08/20/2013 10:36 AMPosted by Chucknourìsh
It is my understanding that armor gives a much larger damage reduction than many people realize( i.e 67% to 68% damage reduction is actually a 3% damage reduction).
Yes, that's true. However handling damage via AM is much more effective. Mastery is really just another EH stat, and one that will still be slightly worse than Stamina in 5.4. Further, Mastery does nothing against magic or attacks that ignore armor.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
So uh... can we talk about the legendary cloaks real quick?

Like, from people that are regularly tanking Heroic content: How often are you going down in a situation where the agi tank cloak proc will actually be beneficial? I'm genuinely curious.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
So uh... can we talk about the legendary cloaks real quick?

Like, from people that are regularly tanking Heroic content: How often are you going down in a situation where the agi tank cloak proc will actually be beneficial? I'm genuinely curious.

I love the tank proc, but I love it cause I feel it will be great for my Co-Tank.

Usually, if a wipe occurs, it's either someone else messing up, or my Co-Tank dying for whatever reason.

In this entire expansion, I have not died and caused a wipe on any progression. Now I don't know about SoO....havent had time to look up the fights yet, but my thinking is if they made such a proc available, then these bosses must hit hard.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
08/22/2013 08:24 AMPosted by Pouncekite

Not very, I'll be honest. In recent memory it's only happened once on Horridon. I think I've mentioned this before, but bleeding edge progression guilds will probably start with it, as will those guilds which are maybe normal-mode guilds only. Those which fall somewhere in between probably won't find much use for it.

It's going to be more of a thing in 25s. Shouldn't ever happen with tank meta buff, hp buff, and barkskin buff in 10m.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
Not very, I'll be honest. In recent memory it's only happened once on Horridon. I think I've mentioned this before, but bleeding edge progression guilds will probably start with it, as will those guilds which are maybe normal-mode guilds only. Those which fall somewhere in between probably won't find much use for it.
I was figuring about that. I mean hell, even tanking the front six for my guild, I never got anywhere below maybe 60-70% health.

It's going to be more of a thing in 25s. Shouldn't ever happen with tank meta buff, hp buff, and barkskin buff in 10m.
Are they buffing the tank meta and/or gutting the dps meta to actually make us want to take the tank meta? I didn't see any reference to them in the patch notes.

but my thinking is if they made such a proc available, then these bosses must hit hard.
Not necessarily. I mean, you could apply the same logic to the meta gem. I think they just view both of them as "oh man if your entire job is to take less damage and not die then both of these are super rad" when in reality they're sort of mediocre for a lot of people.
Edited by Pouncekite on 8/22/2013 12:01 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
They are making the tank meta have a MUCH higher uptime AND making it reduce all damage instead of physical damage. Along with that, they are greatly reducing the damage output of the dps meta for tanks.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
Proc rate on tank meta doubling, along with damage reduction on all damage as stated. DPS meta nerfed 40% in tank spec.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]