[Guardian] - MoP Tanking Guide (5.4)

90 Night Elf Druid
My main is a Pally and I love tanking; this guy is resto but I have gotten to the point where alot of bosses on lfr no longer drop any loot I need so I have decided to start a Guardian gear set also. This guide has really helped me and I can't wait to represent all the bears out there!
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
Hi All,

Just looking for some input on how to gear my Guardian druid going forward. I'm wondering if I should drop my gem socket bonus and gem for pure crit. I wouldn't be able to reach the crit cap of 79%, but I'd be at 76% overall if I gem pure crit gems. Please assist!!! :)

Thanks for any and all help!
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
The helm bonus (180 Agi) is typically the only one you would go out of your way to get, since it requires a single gem.

Never gem Agility unless you absolutely have to (i.e. red helm socket).

Gemming Hit/Exp can be a good way to cap it and open up some better reforges, so keep that in mind.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Druid
Random periodic checkup.

Jumped from 564 to 569 last night on my first full night tanking SoO (11/14h). I swap in flex versions of rook/vial as needed (I didn't need to for any of the fights last night, def go more stam on blackfuse). As far as a RPS/DPS setup, anything you'd change?

A second question, in addition to heroic tier, I also bonus rolled Gloves of the Golden Protector. Obviously I'd use them if I landed heroic tier shoulders (not likely, I'm the backup tank), but if I had another high ilvl piece, would it be worth dropping the four set? Instinct tells me to keep 4p as it's a nice amount of healing, but curious about your thoughts.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
06/25/2014 10:44 AMPosted by Everythang
As far as a RPS/DPS setup, anything you'd change?

Cap Hit/Exp. It doesn't look like much, but you should do it. Catus has a great built-in reforge calculator, so you can give that a shot.

Your weapon makes me cry :(

Looks fine otherwise.

06/25/2014 10:44 AMPosted by Everythang
but if I had another high ilvl piece, would it be worth dropping the four set?

Totally up to you. I wouldn't do it for 10m, but for 25m the 4pc bonus isn't that great.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Mage
7.49 and 14.95 is still too far off? I feel like I couldn't get closer without going quite a bit over.

As for the weapon, it replaced the Garrosh BoA (569, also haste/mastery) which replaced a flex weapon. I'd gladly trade it for your trident if I had the chance.

I raid 10 and was thinking the same.

As always, appreciate the input. :)
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
06/30/2014 08:59 PMPosted by Mageski
7.49 and 14.95 is still too far off? I feel like I couldn't get closer without going quite a bit over.

Really up to you. I would never recommend taking that risk, even if it's not a very big one.
Reply Quote
3 Undead Priest
Arielle, quick question that may seem a bit silly. Even with the pretty much worthless proc from PBI do you think that the extra haste/mastery as well as the flat % critical strike damage boost could outweigh Harooms talisman? I was just wondering because I find multistrike to do less then 7% damage on most of my boss attempts on my monk. (This is for my new guardian druid btw not my monk)! Thank you!

Add on question - I could probably test this when I get home, but do you know if bear form double dips on the stat increase from the % mod trinkets?
Edited by Minikage on 7/7/2014 9:34 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Troll Mage
07/07/2014 09:33 AMPosted by Minikage
Arielle, quick question that may seem a bit silly. Even with the pretty much worthless proc from PBI do you think that the extra haste/mastery as well as the flat % critical strike damage boost could outweigh Harooms talisman? I was just wondering because I find multistrike to do less then 7% damage on most of my boss attempts on my monk. (This is for my new guardian druid btw not my monk)! Thank you!

I know that Haromm is better than Thok's tail tip, so I'd say PBoI would also be weaker, as it's not as good as Thok.

Don't forget, it's not just the multistrike, it's that big juicy Agi proc.
Edited by Mageski on 7/7/2014 9:36 AM PDT
Reply Quote
3 Undead Priest
I was thinking about the agi proc as well, but I was figuring that the crit gained is miniscule since druid's have such high crit already to the point that they use windsong over dancing steel. I might be undervaluing the ap gained from the proc, but as it stands it's usually pretty small in the big picture when we consider tank ap values in heroic raiding. It does add a bit of dodge as well though so there is that to consider. If haromms does trump ttt though that pretty much does settle it!
Edited by Minikage on 7/7/2014 10:56 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
07/07/2014 09:33 AMPosted by Minikage
Even with the pretty much worthless proc from PBI do you think that the extra haste/mastery as well as the flat % critical strike damage boost could outweigh Harooms talisman?

No. You don't need the extra Rage and Haromm's increases your DPS by least 25% more than any Amp trinket.

Remember that MS'es can Crit, and as a Guardian you'll have substantially more Crit than a Monk. The Amp trinket doesn't operate the same as the Meta. So the total DPS increase is only around half of the amp bonus, which will be less than Haromm's.
Edited by Ariellè on 7/7/2014 11:19 AM PDT
Reply Quote
3 Undead Priest
Thanks for clarifying, I didn't factor in the superfluous rps, as well as the MS critting. Here is to hoping I can snag a Haromms eventually!
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
So i gotta know can anyone point me in the direction as to why Windsong is better than Dsteel for gaurdian?

P.S i also noticed that you run cenarion ward and not Ysera's Gift why is that and where can i find a guide to teach me how to use this to max potential?
Edited by Manding on 7/20/2014 9:42 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
07/20/2014 09:35 PMPosted by Manding
So i gotta know can anyone point me in the direction as to why Windsong is better than Dsteel for gaurdian?
Crit is worthless for RPS after 79%. Since that's all Dancing Steel gives (along with a tiny bit of Dodge), even the smaller uptime on the Haste buff from Windsong is technically better.

Everyone just gears for DPS nowadays though, and Dancing Steel is great for that.

07/20/2014 09:35 PMPosted by Manding
P.S i also noticed that you run cenarion ward and not Ysera's Gift why is that and where can i find a guide to teach me how to use this to max potential?

Probably logged out in Challenge Mode spec. I don't use Cenarion for raids, i use Ysera's.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
Ah thank you for the quick response. I would love to pick ur brain sometime soonish.

chuckd#1890 is my btag add me plz.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
07/21/2014 12:02 AMPosted by Ariellè
Crit is worthless for RPS after 79%.

Can you give me a hard number for that softcap? I'm at 73% crit in bear-form (54% outside) and I'd like a number to cap it at in AMR.

Or is there a different/better place to cap Crit?

NM figured it out.
Edited by Arispera on 8/5/2014 2:08 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
So when do i stop going for haste? for RPS
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
08/29/2014 10:57 PMPosted by Manding
So when do i stop going for haste? for RPS

When you feel you have enough Rage.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
Arielle, will you be updating this for 6.0.2? Thanks, and thanks for your invaluable help!
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
10/13/2014 11:28 AMPosted by Jahtoric
Arielle, will you be updating this for 6.0.2? Thanks, and thanks for your invaluable help!
No. It's too much work for almost no benefit.

For relevant 6.0 changes see: http://www.theincbear.com/6-0-patch-survival-guide

A new guide will come out for Warlords though.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]