The Mighty Holy Nova

90 Night Elf Priest
You know the spell right? The amazing priest spell shown in the opening cinematic? The spell used to find rogues, kill low level trash, stop flag cappers in BG's? The one we used to proc instant smites back in the day with Surge of Light...

OK, let's face it. It was a spell that didn't do much, but was FUN to use. The fact that it has been moved into a MAJOR glyph slot is a tad insulting. No spec can spare a slot for Holy Nova with so many other glyphs that surpass its utility. If Holy Nova is going to remain a glyph, why not buff it? Or perhaps just let things be and give it to priests back as a baseline spell.

As it stands, Holy Nova is standing on its last 2 legs. With the spell being removed from baseline to a MAJOR glyph spot (which nobody will utilize), Holy Nova will soon go the way of Mana Burn and Mind Soothe (which also proved useful while leveling).

This isn't a QQ thread. I would rather get the communities opinion on what they would like to see Holy Nova become. Should Blizzard once again make the spell baseline? Should it remain as is? Do you feel Holy Nova should be buffed?
Edited by Medíc on 9/6/2012 5:33 PM PDT
Reply Quote
87 Human Priest
I've used Holy Nova so much in the past. I even had it glyphed for the instant cast. As mentioned though, I don't think anyone could really spare a glyph to get it. What kind of buff do you have in mind ? And keep PvP'ers in mind too!

I'm feeling the same way about Mind Control to be honest. As a PvP Disc Priest with no more Mana Burn, I have nothing left to pester opposing healers. Mind Control has been a Priest's signature since, well, ever. Sad to see it being placed as a talent. And unfortunately, I don't feel like it can really compete with the two other available talents. Not for MOST situations anyways.
Edited by Jookz on 8/29/2012 4:31 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
I can't aoe flags anymore and I've seriously losts multiple bgs because of it already.
Reply Quote
87 Human Priest
08/29/2012 04:33 PMPosted by Hexxin
I can't aoe flags anymore and I've seriously losts multiple bgs because of it already.

It's a problem as Disc. They also brought back Power Word: Death's 20% health limitation, AND we don't have immediate access to wands anymore, meaning it's hugely hugely problematic to effectively keep people off flags. You're basically forced to Smite, and possibly lock your healing tree. It's extremely inefficient.

I think rated battlegrounds will pretty much require Priests to specc into Psyfiend.
Edited by Jookz on 8/29/2012 4:43 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Priest
I really don't know why they took the spell off the baseline. It's a spell that was not particularly amazing, but still very useful under the right circumstances. I am missing it.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
08/29/2012 04:33 PMPosted by Hexxin

This. It should be baseline. Holy nova is only used in certain situations, and is impossible to abuse. Yesterday I held a base alone for most of a bg, but had no way to prevent the enemy from stealing it from me repeatedly, once my psychic scream was on cd (and that doesn't work for invisible rogues anyway).
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
[quote="64116278774"]

It's a problem as Disc. They also brought back Power Word: Death's 20% health limitation, AND we don't have immediate access to wands anymore, meaning it's hugely hugely problematic to effectively keep people off flags. You're basically forced to Smite, and possibly lock your healing tree. It's extremely inefficient.

Penance and glpyhed instant Holy fire are necessary to dps and avoid getting locked out. Holy nova would help a lot, but require different glpyhs for bgs and arena (where holy nova isn't worth it). I already spec Disc disc to cover PVE and PVP...and still have to change glpyhs and to some extent talents for each. I could see myself doing arena, pve, and bgs most days, which will get expensive. There is no good reason to not make Holy Nova baseline
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
To be honest the removal of spells (or half removal) has left a very bitter taste in my mouth today/yesterday. I was prepared for the removal of mana burn and to a degree it makes sense. But requiring me to use a major glyph to return SW:Death to a useful state or use a major glyph to even put holy nova on my bars is irritating me to no end. Lack of mind spike (or even mind blast, a spell I got back in 2007 at like level 6) makes our shadow school very disappointing. The only baseline shadow spell we can even try to juke with anymore is mind sear.

Don't get me wrong, there are fun things too. I am a huge fan of the penance while moving glyph and a few other changes. But overall I am having less fun than I used to. Frustrating moments where I used to be able to do things far outweigh all the new cool moments.

EDIT: I am also sad about losing divine hymn as disc. Another seemingly needless change that removes our ability to heal inside of a smoke bomb, and short of the new penance glyph, our ability to heal out of LoS.
Edited by Krautia on 8/29/2012 5:35 PM PDT
Reply Quote
08/29/2012 03:47 PMPosted by Medíc
Holy Nova

Good night sweet prince you will be loved and missed..

jimmies rustled
/salty tears
Reply Quote
95 Human Priest
I really feel that removing a quality of life talent from priests for no apparent reason seems unnecessary. Why remove it, it wasn't OP, it wasn't hurting anyone (literally) for that matter it wasn't healing anyone, and every priest uses it on a regular basis. Why take something the whole class is sad about. Tsk tsk.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
It's always been a weak spell. Didn't heal or damage much. But it made a big difference in pvp and in doing lower level content with multiple mobs. I miss it terribly. But there's no way it's worth using a major glyph slot.

In PVP, I have no aoe to prevent flag capping now. As holy, that was a huge benefit. And certainly not OP by any means.

I walked into a low level dungeon in order to farm for a mount the other day (something I've been doing multiple times daily) and I felt lost without it. Guess I'll farm it on an alt, who can blast through it quickly.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
08/29/2012 10:13 PMPosted by Mityaphrdite
I really feel that removing a quality of life talent from priests for no apparent reason seems unnecessary. Why remove it, it wasn't OP, it wasn't hurting anyone (literally) for that matter it wasn't healing anyone, and every priest uses it on a regular basis. Why take something the whole class is sad about. Tsk tsk.

This ^^^^
I really miss Holy Nova too :( Such a fun iconic little spell.

What was the rationale for removing it in the first place? Does anyone know?

Please could we have the fun back and have Holy Nova returned to Baseline?
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Priest
Given that it's still super weak, and takes up a major glyph slot, i doubt it will be used again. The offensive capabilities of healing priests have been severely hampered with these changes.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
I really think it should be a minor glyph. Minor Glyphs were like, Treeform for Druids, Arctic Wolf for Shamans.. you know, things that are nostalgic.

Hasn't Holy Nova fallen to these ranks? I miss the good old days of finding a rogue, protecting a flag, and sending little golden butterflies out into the world. (That's how it always looked to me.)
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
So from I gather, the majority of you guys would just like to receive Holy Nova back with no modifications? I would be more than happy with that. I could think of a few buffs, but most of my thoughts would result in the spell having a cool down of some sort. I prefer spamming it. ;p
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
Holy Nova was a class defining ability, and probably the most fun thing we had. This game is supposed to be fun. It really needs to be baseline. Removing something like this, even if we could use a precious glyph to get it, just shows how out of touch Blizzard seems to be when it comes to priests.
Edited by Shylena on 8/30/2012 8:16 AM PDT
Reply Quote
97 Night Elf Priest
08/30/2012 07:20 AMPosted by Medíc
So from I gather, the majority of you guys would just like to receive Holy Nova back with no modifications? I would be more than happy with that. I could think of a few buffs, but most of my thoughts would result in the spell having a cool down of some sort. I prefer spamming it. ;p

I know I would. Don't change it. Don't buff it. I don't care about any of that. Just give it back as a baseline spell as is.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
Apparently none of you checked the level 90 talents.

They *all* heal allies and damage enemies.. for like every freaking spec in the game.

So mix of aoe fear + level 90 talents.. you'll be fine. Plus I didn't check, but I don't think we lost mind sear as disc did we?
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
08/30/2012 10:29 AMPosted by Unami

I know I would. Don't change it. Don't buff it. I don't care about any of that. Just give it back as a baseline spell as is.

^ Agreed. I'm wondering if there are any blue posters out there who can give us a reason why Holy Nova wasn't considered as a baseline talent especially now that we have so many glyphs and not enough places to put them.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]