Quick Reference: Pointers for Healing (5.4)

(Sticky)

90 Human Priest
Liked, and Sticky Requested, of course ;)
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
APM
08/23/2012 07:37 PMPosted by Ashleycakez
and absolutely cannot pause to channel Penance or cast any other heal

pretty sure you can glyph penance now so you can cast while moving. Not really sure if it would be worth it but maybe for select bosses.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Priest
Oh d'oh yes. Thanks.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
no
Edited by Ekiv on 8/25/2012 10:45 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Priest
08/25/2012 09:48 PMPosted by Loratabb
pretty sure you can glyph penance now so you can cast while moving. Not really sure if it would be worth it but maybe for select bosses.

There are few other glyphs that would have any meaningful contribution to disc healing so penance will almost always be glyphed. Holy fire and smite glyphs are the other two. There are other options one has such as fade, inner fire, PoM (overall throughput loss), etc. but outside of a stand-and-pew-pew encounter like ultraxion they are nowhere near as useful imo.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
Re-learning is going to be fun.

Thank you, Ashley.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Priest
Tbh, its not too different from live :) But Disc not having Divine Hymn is pretty scary when you go to mash your hotkey where DH used to be and nothing happens.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
I'll just put leap of faith there and make life interesting.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Trying to become one of the best Disc Priests on my realm.

Here's hoping. :p
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
As a priest alt, who has spent literally 99.9999999% of my time running Shadow PvE, and Shadow PvP specs...... but soon to be MoP priest main... This thread is just fantastic....

Once 5.0 hits, I can safely use a single shadow spec for both pve and pvp, while leaving my other spec available to actually be a priest and heal on... This thread actually gives someone like myself, who's literally never once healed, a chance to not be terrible @ it on the first go. Sticky requested, and thank you TS.

-Dro
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
08/23/2012 07:35 PMPosted by Ashleycakez
  • Mindbender should be used in the same manner as Shadowfiend.

• I will argue this. Considering that Mindbender is on a 1m cooldown you really should be using it every chance you have while ALSO popping it up with Hymn of Hope when possible. There is no reason to not use it at every chance you have given the cooldown.

In other news.......

On the beta I've found there are multiple ways to boost the effectiveness of Spirit Shell.

Spirit Shell + Power Infusion = Faster cast time on PoH Spam + Reduced mana cost of casting PoH.

-or-

Spirit Shell + Evangelism = 25% Increased healing of PoH which translates to a larger shield.

In most cases I'm sticking to SS + Eva unless I feel I need to save Eva for some other upcoming damage.
    Edited by Tiesha on 8/26/2012 8:47 PM PDT
    Reply Quote
    90 Human Priest
    Liked, requested sticky. Thanks Ash.
    Reply Quote
    85 Troll Priest
    08/26/2012 08:35 PMPosted by Tiesha
    I will argue this. Considering that Mindbender is on a 1m cooldown you really should be using it every chance you have while ALSO popping it up with Hymn of Hope when possible. There is no reason to not use it at every chance you have given the cooldown.

Remember, this is for dungeons/heroic dungeons, not so much for raiding. You are correct to say Mbender should be used frequently, but in a dungeon you may not actually need regen all that much.

They are quite the snoozefests.
    Reply Quote
    90 Blood Elf Priest
    Is it still at the point where you would be silly to not use the archangel attonement abilities? I really enjoyed the fact that I could skip it and not hurt myself by not using it all of cata, but now with the increase to healing it seems like you are still forced to use archangel to maximize your healing potential. Which is opposite of what gc said he wanted for disc priests.
    Reply Quote
    85 Troll Priest
    I'm not sure if it is a throughput loss to not effectively use Archangel. However, with the Holy Fire glyph making it instant cast, I don't see why you wouldn't employ at least that for a smart, instant cast heal.
    Reply Quote
    90 Draenei Priest
    Remember, this is for dungeons/heroic dungeons, not so much for raiding. You are correct to say Mbender should be used frequently, but in a dungeon you may not actually need regen all that much.

They are quite the snoozefests.

Even in a raid I see no reason to hold onto it. Most raid encounters last anywhere between 4-6 minutes on average with longer fights in the 8-15m range. Knowing this I don't see how you wouldn't be popping it very early in the fight then popping it on cooldown every minute as it comes up.

I don't know how other priests operate but for myself I plan out when I will use my mana cooldowns (or any cooldown for that matter) so I know exactly when to sync things up. With Mindbender on a 1m cooldown you should only need to think about holding onto it to sync up with Hymn of Hope once or twice for any given encounter. Other than those 1 or 2 times it should just be used on cooldown. It doesn't hurt to do so.

Oh I know you can argue that if you know big damage is coming up you should save it cause you will burn through mana soon. But even in those cases if you know damage will be coming in lets say 20-30 seconds out you can pop SS pop Mindbender and start PoH spam to build up shields. In which case no mana is really wasted in the endeavor cause those shields will be used up.

It's a small trivial thing I know but I don't just want people trying to hold onto their Mindbenders thinking they need to when they really should have no qualms in doing so.

08/26/2012 09:28 PMPosted by Rapsidy
    Is it still at the point where you would be silly to not use the archangel attonement abilities? I really enjoyed the fact that I could skip it and not hurt myself by not using it all of cata, but now with the increase to healing it seems like you are still forced to use archangel to maximize your healing potential. Which is opposite of what gc said he wanted for disc priests.

In all honestly there is no reason to not utilize it. The reason I never used it during cata was because it was 5 talent points needed for what I viewed as a gimmick sub-spec of Disc. Points that I always figured were better spent elsewhere.

In MoP that changes. You now have it free of charge. In that case you should use it. One thing I've found is that MoP instances are designed with obvious highs and lows in required healing. You can and will find time to build up stacks of Eva to pop AA. Of course once you pop into an instance you are bound to be healing like crazy cause you don't know wtf to do. But as with all things once you see the fights you'll get better at them and you'll begin to find the spots to fit in a few Smites, Holy Fires, or Pennance.
    Edited by Tiesha on 8/26/2012 10:02 PM PDT
    Reply Quote
    85 Troll Priest
    I'm not saying to hold on it it in a raid at all, nor am I saying to in dungeons. Also notice that I said if you don't need the regen to cast it for added damage.
    Reply Quote
    90 Human Priest
    08/26/2012 09:47 PMPosted by Ashleycakez
    I'm not sure if it is a throughput loss to not effectively use Archangel. However, with the Holy Fire glyph making it instant cast, I don't see why you wouldn't employ at least that for a smart, instant cast heal.

Does GoHF make HF calculate as instant for Inner Will?
    Reply Quote
    85 Troll Priest
    5.4k mana Holy Fire with or without Glyph with IW or IF, unless my UI is totally bugged.

I guess that's to be expected since a glyphed Holy Fire will still consume Borrowed Time. I should make a note of that in the OP.
    Edited by Ashleycakez on 8/26/2012 10:02 PM PDT
    Reply Quote
    90 Draenei Priest
    08/26/2012 09:53 PMPosted by Ashleycakez
    I'm not saying to hold on it it in a raid at all, nor am I saying to in dungeons. Also notice that I said if you don't need the regen to cast it for added damage.

Sorry that's just how it sounded like when it was originally posted. It simply said to use Fiend with Hymn of Hope and then it said to use Mindbender the same way which doesn't really clarify the fact you can cast it many more times with little to no penalty.
    Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)
    Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]