Quick Reference: Pointers for Healing (5.4)

(Sticky)

85 Troll Priest
Well, I can definitely make it more clear seeing as Mindbender is a shorter CD than Shadowfiend. I didn't think it read as "hold it off because it has cooties unless you are oom" :)

What is clear to me may not be to others. All input to make this better is appreciated. Community effort gogo!

I'll update in the morning or afternoon tomorrow. Gotta sleep zzz
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
It would be a throughput loss. A 25% boost on a short cooldown is a lot of healing potential. Even priests who hate it should be willing to toss out what's needed to get a full Evangelism stack, particularly with the Insta-HF.

Also, I think the rule of thumb for both Shadowfiend and Mindbender is "early and often". I personally wasn't finding MoP heroics any sort of snoozefest, barring a few dud bosses, especially not with some of the dps doing terrible damage.
Edited by Elethia on 8/26/2012 10:11 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Yeah, I'm not a big fan of AA, but I was able to build stacks during 5's boss encounters to store for when I needed it. "Early and Often" is the by far the best, the first at around 75-80% mana?
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
I'm going to miss Divine Hymn, but just a bit. I haven't gotten much use out of it since I geared this toon to a decent level. If I'm feeling lazy and want to mitigate ridiculous amounts of damage I can just Power Infuse myself and then spam PoH....anddd den I can even throw PW:S on my group and stand around looking at all the pretty fire being thrown about. It's pretty crazy that even after that I can regain mana almost to full again simply because of the Heart of Unliving and various other weapon and set effects <3. Divine Hymn as disc is lackluster anyway; unless, of course, you want it for pvp. Then it's pretty great as long as no one sees you pop it. :D
Reply Quote
85 Troll Priest
Edited the Mbender usage a bit. Let me know if it is more clear.

Also added in a little bit about Glyph of Holy Fire being bugged (or working as intended?) in regards to Inner Will and Borrowed Time.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
08/26/2012 10:15 PMPosted by Woaden
Yeah, I'm not a big fan of AA, but I was able to build stacks during 5's boss encounters to store for when I needed it. "Early and Often" is the by far the best, the first at around 75-80% mana?

Depends. I pop it earlier if I'm going to town with HF/Smite, and then on cooldown unless too much of it will be wasted—which is rare, because I Smite heavily.
Reply Quote
89 Undead Priest
So in 5.0 are our mana pools fixed?

Are disc priests stacking spirit like holy did in 4.3?

If Penance is now a smart heal, does that mean offensive penance?

So your spells that proc atonement will now be:

Holy Fire
Smite
Penance

???

Is the Atonement crit modifier still 150%?
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
08/23/2012 07:41 PMPosted by Maladie
HAPPY BIRTHDAY

TOUCH ME, MUH-LADY.
Reply Quote
87 Blood Elf Priest
•Do not use Holy Word: Sanctuary. The spell currently provides terrible HPM and HPS

Uh.... no one has anything to say about this?

Is this forum solely devoted to disc and shadow concerns?

I look on the class balance forums for the beta and see nothing current regarding serenity being terrible. Either its terrible and no one cares or it isnt terrible or.... what?
Edited by Semkat on 8/28/2012 1:47 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Troll Priest
08/28/2012 11:59 AMPosted by Darthsiddeus
So in 5.0 are our mana pools fixed?

Yes. They should be fixed to 100k and can only be increased by using the Ember Shadowspirit Diamond meta.

Are disc priests stacking spirit like holy did in 4.3?

Probably, considering Rapture is now based from Spirit and not Intellect. I'll bring up that I had over 10k Intellect as Disc raid buffed, but only 3k Spirit (not caring to reforge out or in to more than the pieces that share with my Shadow spec have) + HoU.

So your spells that proc atonement will now be:

Yes. Holy Fire and Smite as before, and now in 5.0 Penance will Atonement heal if used as a damaging spell. Not sure about the crit modifer tbh. It looked like 200% on beta but I could've been reading things incorrectly. Been a while since I was Disc on beta.

08/28/2012 01:46 PMPosted by Semkat
I look on the class balance forums for the beta and see nothing current regarding serenity being terrible.

I don't quite understand what you are asking. You quote something about HW: Sanctuary and then say Serenity. HW: Serenity is fine. HW: Sanctuary got reworked to benefit from Haste but in the meantime got its benefit from Mastery removed. Regardless you should not be using HW: Sanc in a dungeon since you should always be in Serenity for dungeons barring specific conditions where I fight lends itself to intensive AoE healing or when you switch to Sanctuary for a Divine Hymn channel.

You can read more about HW: Sanc here: http://howtopriest.com/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=1548 (let me know if that link is dead to you, I'll get active again if so)
Edited by Ashleycakez on 8/28/2012 2:21 PM PDT
Reply Quote
87 Undead Priest
Great summary, thank you for doing this. Requested sticky.

08/28/2012 01:46 PMPosted by Semkat
•Do not use Holy Word: Sanctuary. The spell currently provides terrible HPM and HPS

Uh.... no one has anything to say about this?

Is this forum solely devoted to disc and shadow concerns?

I look on the class balance forums for the beta and see nothing current regarding serenity being terrible. Either its terrible and no one cares or it isnt terrible or.... what?

I think most priests will choose to stay in Serenity Chakra in 5/10 man and thus not using HW:Sanc. That doesn't necessarily make Sanctuary terrible... just more like the spell one would want when raiding 25-man.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Thanks for the info Ashley!

Quick question: So I guess if you take the Lightspring glyph, your Lightwell will no longer be clickable?
Reply Quote
85 Troll Priest
08/28/2012 02:26 PMPosted by Chisp
I think most priests will choose to stay in Serenity Chakra in 5/10 man and thus not using HW:Sanc. That doesn't necessarily make Sanctuary terrible... just more like the spell one would want when raiding 25-man.

I think the math is showing that Sanctuary really isn't desirable to cast even with the extended duration. It means people will have to stay in it for 30 seconds to make it worthwhile. So, perhaps on something like Ultraxion or Spine it will be great, but in 5 mans, no way.

08/28/2012 02:26 PMPosted by Autumn
Quick question: So I guess if you take the Lightspring glyph, your Lightwell will no longer be clickable?

Yeah it just kinda sits there and spits heals.

To quote Derevka:

Lightwell vs Lightspring:
The key difference between Lightwell and Lightspring is the ‘on demand’ use. Lightspring only heals if a player is within range (40 yards up from LWs 20) and is under 50% HP. Lightwell, can be used on Demand. Depending on the fight, instructing your raid members (regardless of HP threshold) to click Lightwell may work out better. Remember - Lightwell can be clicked when stunned!

http://howtopriest.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1613#glyph
Edited by Ashleycakez on 8/28/2012 2:30 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Thank you! Sadly I've had terrible experiences w/ people wasting Lightwell clicks or just plain not bothering with it, so I'll likely just take the Lightspring glyph to combat that :)
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
Deepest thanks for this, Ashley. :) I made the ill-fated decision to finish leveling my first max-level priest over the weekend (or maybe not so ill-fated? I suppose it's easier to relearn habits that haven't yet entirely sunk in), and was hoping the forums here had something exactly like what you've delivered.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
Thanks for the run down of healing :)
Reply Quote
85 Troll Priest
Hope everyone's enjoying 5.0!
Reply Quote
85 Troll Priest
Let's go back to page 1 so people who need you can see you. *pat*
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Great info, thank you.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]