Quick Reference: Pointers for Healing (6.2)

(Sticky)

89 Undead Priest
Thanks Ashley!

I got to play around with Disc last night. Back when I was raiding a lot, I went with the haste & crit heavy build. I used that equipment set. 20% haste unbuffed, 20% crit unbuffed. Low mastery.

Healbot wasn't updated yet, so all I could do is Holy Fire, Smite, and Penance. I specc'd into From Darkness Comes Light for the free flash heals.

Has the coefficient for Smite changed? I was hitting 70k+ crits regularly. Holy fire wasn't hitting nearly as hard (maybe half). It's a fast cast in my haste heavy set (1.24seconds), with very low mana consumption.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Just a quick tip for when your raidframe UI of choice isn't working -

I found through Beta playing that Blizz's updates to the default UI raidframes (raidframes, not party frames) makes them less terrible for healing than they used to be. You can set them to show in groups of any size, you can change the size of the frames (ie, make them taller or wider), you can have them set up horizontally or vertically, you can place them anywhere you want on your screen, you can have them display buffs/debuffs (including "only removable debuffs" if you want)... no, they're not as customizable as an actual raidframe mod, but they're workable.

I missed VuhDo yesterday, but I'm able to do a not-terrible job pf healing with the default raidframes now :)
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
I've been reading from the beta forums that right now, holy feels more powerful than disc. Has anyone else been experiencing that? I haven't had a chance to test this out in game yet and was wondering which spec I should go with for now.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
Yes Autumn on beta Holy feels much stronger. I suspect that's because atm discipline is actually more dependent on spirit than holy is. At 85 with our quality gear we can pull off a disc build, but in beta with the gear we have at T14 level... it's rough.
Reply Quote
89 Undead Priest
08/29/2012 12:09 PMPosted by Browncöat
Yes Autumn on beta Holy feels much stronger. I suspect that's because atm discipline is actually more dependent on spirit than holy is. At 85 with our quality gear we can pull off a disc build, but in beta with the gear we have at T14 level... it's rough.

Have you tried a spec with heavy smite usage?
Reply Quote
85 Troll Priest
YEY so healing DS last night was awesome considering I failed and wasn't tracking what I needed to on my UI.

But otherwise fine.

I need to hop in some dungeons once I get my UI in shape! How are dungeons treating everyone so far?
Reply Quote
85 Troll Priest
Well, found out that Disc can do some ridiculous damage now when I 2 man Maly/Ony to try for the mounts. Upwards of 25k with Mbender at the start of Maly (no spark down). Can't wait to hop in dungeons! Busy week @_@
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Some notes:

Smite is a terrible heal. Its HPM is worse than Flash Heal unless you have a full stack of Evangelism, and even then it's not much better. If you're swimming in mana (as we currently are) then it's a good tool, if mana is a problem then you'd probably want to avoid this. Holy Fire is still very efficient. Still testing interaction between Smite Atonement and FDCL.

Spirit Shell heals are affected by mastery. The DA does get added into the SS PoH total, though counts toward the SS cap, not as a separate DA.

Renew at 5 tics (13% haste) with IF up is as efficient as Heal and does the same amount of healing. It's great to toss out as a filler spell. The glyph causes it to lose a significant amount of efficiency, both HPC and HPM, not suggested to glyph it unless you happen to have upwards of 20% haste.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Priest
Yeah that's a good point about Smite. I stepped into dungeons while leveling on beta fully thinking I could just Smite my way to victory. Boy was I wrong, and oom. Just kind of better to build up Evangelism, like I wrote, and use instant cast Holy Fire to maintain it or Penance offensively :)

Are you speaking of Renew in regards to Holy or Disc? Level 85 or 90? Again, it kind of worries me to see people going on about Renew healing better for Disc. The math may point to this but it doesn't interact with Disc talents (Strength of Soul the most prominent for use of Heal imo).
Edited by Ashleycakez on 8/31/2012 9:57 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Renew in general, though the IF and cast is more aimed at Disc since Holy will be rolling it for free.

Renew is very viable for Disc as a small healing spell, I compare it to Heal for a specific reason. They have very similar cost and heal amount, and could well be interchangeable. Renew simply does the healing over time, but is instant cast, whereas Heal has to be cast and does all the healing up front. Renew's main strength is in the HPCT, as it is instant, and can leave more casting time to dedicate to primary targets.

While the interaction of Heal with SoS is notable, it is only somewhat practical. Targets on which repeated PW:S casts are most useful are much better served by Atonement heals in cases of light healing, or GHeal/Penance heals in cases of heavy healing. It will be a rare case where one will have such heavy mitigation necessary for a shortened WS while using a spell like Heal in between, especially since such a practice would throw off Rapture timing, in essence ruining a lot of the work of saving mana using Heal in the first place. :)
Reply Quote
85 Troll Priest
So its more of an "If you don't need to remove the CD on WS and Holy is on CD, and Penance (offensive or friendly use) is on CD, and PoM is on CD then Renew would be better than Heal" sort of thing. That's what I'm reading.

But at 5 stacks of Evangelism Smite would be a better filler instead of Renew, no?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
All subjective, of course.

Heal and Renew are interchangable as far as end result goes, it's the application that matters. Smite, even at full stacks of Evangelism, is still nowhere near as efficient as either Heal or Renew from a mana standpoint. (7.2 to ~10 HPM respectively).

Have mana to spare and want to contribute damage, and your heal target is near an enemy? Use Smite/Atonement.

Have time to cast and want to make use of SoS and/or FDCL? Use Heal.

Need to conserve cast time and your target isn't near an enemy to heal via Atonement? Toss out a Renew.

The point is that there is a choice, and one needs to be cognizant of the options. The automatic dismissal of a viable tool due to old habits is, IMHO, unwise.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Priest
Tbh I didn't think of Renew like that. Considering you don't have to dump talent points that, in PvE, would be better used in other places to make the spell better it does seem to have more appeal for Disc.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
All subjective, of course.

Heal and Renew are interchangable as far as end result goes, it's the application that matters. Smite, even at full stacks of Evangelism, is still nowhere near as efficient as either Heal or Renew from a mana standpoint. (7.2 to ~10 HPM respectively).

Have mana to spare and want to contribute damage, and your heal target is near an enemy? Use Smite/Atonement.

Have time to cast and want to make use of SoS and/or FDCL? Use Heal.

Need to conserve cast time and your target isn't near an enemy to heal via Atonement? Toss out a Renew.

The point is that there is a choice, and one needs to be cognizant of the options. The automatic dismissal of a viable tool due to old habits is, IMHO, unwise.

It certainly may be that Renew isn't as much of a "loss" as it used to be, and if so, then I'm a) surprised ;D and b) pleased.

Having said that, if you're looking to use a Renew-sized heal, by definition your healing action isn't urgently needed, (unless as you say, you want to make use of SoS and/or FDCL) and thus neither is Renew, *unless* we are also applying the "need to conserve cast time" clause; at which point we're back to more or less the old paradigm of "when to use Renew", aren't we?
Reply Quote
85 Troll Priest
Exactly, why not just not heal and wait for Holy Fire or Penance to come of CD and use them offensive to smart heal the player back up if they need such a small heal that Greater Heal isn't worthy of use?

That's another way I look at Renew for Disc, especially with AA/A baseline now.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Though I rarely like to discuss my own usage, as it tends to cloud the facts (and I'm big on facts and not anecodotes), my current usage pattern is as follows;

I use Heal on my primary target (generally the tank) during low damage, low mana phases. When urgent healing is needed I use GHeal and Penance, or if I have mana to spare I use Atonement (all). Currently testing this with FDCL and having good successes in smaller groups.

I use Renew on the secondary targets (generally the DPS) with a mouseover to fill them up during non critical phases, thus not distracting from my primary target and not tying me up in cast time, or wasting the heal if I have to cancel, if I'm suddenly needed on my primary.

I also use Renew during Spirit Shell. Due to the low cap, I rarely find the need to cast direct heals for the entire duration of SS.. I often find I want to continue to use mastery-boosted heals to refresh the SS cap after incoming damage has occured (especially on tanks), so I rarely cancel the SS effect. Renew fits this niche very well, and since I'm generally under the effect of PI when this occurs, it does significant amounts of healing.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Priest
Why even cast a Renew during Spirit Shell? I'd be waiting with a PoH/GH once SS falls off.

It seems like a waste considering while SS is still active you can still Atonement heal if needed to fill in any gaps and keep up your Evangelism stacks.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Not everyone is going to be within Atonement's range. :)
Reply Quote
85 Troll Priest
Wouldn't it be more beneficial to better time Spirit Shell in the future so you can get some benefit out of it before having to resort to single target heals like Renew, or more preferably, cancelling Spirit Shell to cast?

I still can't see Renew being better than a casted Heal, and in the situation you are describing, you are probably standing still and able to cast so you can't really consider movement as a factor.

Tbh, it isn't about topping people off in 5 mans most of the time while gearing. If a dps takes a bit of damage that takes them from 95% hp to 85% hp, they aren't in any danger of dying as no mechanic I've witnessed on beta dungeons needs all players to be 100% before it hits. And if they are getting one shot, most likely it is their fault (thinking of Herod and his WW in H Scarlet Library or whatever it is).

I'd rather let that player who isn't in Atonement range sit at that value of hp while I focus on utilizing SS to its fullest, then switch over and address them after I've applied SS and can return to healing.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
08/31/2012 04:46 PMPosted by Ashleycakez
I'd rather let that player who isn't in Atonement range sit at that value of hp while I focus on utilizing SS to its fullest, then switch over and address them after I've applied SS and can return to healing.

Agreed; there are two situations where I'd switch SS off:

- there is no meaningful damage of any kind going out, single target or AoE, in the next 15 sec.

- there is *so* much AoE damage going out that I'm better served by consuming my 5 stacks of Evangelism and using PoH in its "heal" incarnation (ie, the damage is eating through the Shells before I can complete my next cast).

In every other situation I can think of which doesn't involve having to move through the rest of SS's duration, continuing to apply Shells (either single-target or raid-wide) will be a better response, wouldn't it?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]