Fire or arcane best dps spec 5.0.4?

85 Undead Mage
I have been Arcane for some time now and have tried the spec since the patch came in.

At level 85, it is really way behind Fire and Frost. Even with the right rotation, the spells feels like they are not doing enough damage. Will have to go Fire for now and see if Arcane is worth adopting at level 90.

But I have a feeling I will stay Fire and a lot of people will do so. Blizzard seem to have killed the Arcane spec, at least for now.

I have to agree with this. It doesn't feel like you're doing enough damage. If you have enough time to ramp up it does. That feels like it takes to long.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Mage
The difference isn't much at level 90, but as of RIGHT NOW when we're stuck at 85, I would avoid Arcane. Reason being, Arcane relies more on level 90 talents and balancing. For now, if you want to do big numbers, go Fire or Frost. Also be sure to avoid Arcane while leveling; it has the same problem until level 90.

At level 90, go crazy. The DPS difference is minimal between our triad.
Reply Quote
08/29/2012 07:37 AMPosted by Terrorific
Arcane is weak at the moment because it relies on T90 talents. Frost and Fire are both very strong, with fire getting the edge from my own dummy testing. Both are better than anything we had pre-patch, so going with either will put you at an advantage in DS.

Arcane doesnt rely on t90 talents... and if you choose something other than Incanter's Ward at lvl 90 then you did something wrong when you rolled a mage.
Reply Quote
The difference isn't much at level 90, but as of RIGHT NOW when we're stuck at 85, I would avoid Arcane. Reason being, Arcane relies more on level 90 talents and balancing.

Could you explain this please? We have 200% mana regen right now, just like if we were standing in a Rune of Power 24/7... so how does lvl 90 make anything better? I think it will be worse at 90, since you have to stand still or lose the regen...
Reply Quote
100 Troll Mage
The difference isn't much at level 90, but as of RIGHT NOW when we're stuck at 85, I would avoid Arcane. Reason being, Arcane relies more on level 90 talents and balancing. For now, if you want to do big numbers, go Fire or Frost. Also be sure to avoid Arcane while leveling; it has the same problem until level 90.

which makes arcane already at problem at 90 because of massive movement restrictions and the reliance and balance around a single level 90 talent (which completely goes against the options claim by Blizzard as well)

::sidenote::

I never bought into that BS that we should have more restrictive movement because we never did full damage when moving in Cata so that was the punishment. Melee is free to do full damage when moving and still scale better than caster with weapons (the SP change to weapons did not fill the gap). We have the advantage of range when it counts and also the disadvantage (PvE gimmicks that target ranged only or the ease of LoSing a cast in PvP).
Edited by Eleveneleven on 8/30/2012 10:23 PM PDT
Reply Quote
95 Gnome Mage
from what i can tell specs are about equal right now i was doing 40k on the dummy as arcane in arcane reforges after 5 mins and 35k as fire in arcane reforges. both specs seem to be rly strong right now not quite as strong as warriors and locks but doing very well

also arcane does not need lvl 90 talents cus mana regen is not a prob if you are under 80% mana your doing the wrong rotation mana regen is high enuff that as long as dont ever cast a 6 stack arcane charge arcane blast mana stays high. also you shouldnt have to use evocation anymore cus if you get low on mana except for spine your doing the wrong rotation.
Edited by Dragonazz on 8/31/2012 12:23 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
IQ
08/31/2012 12:20 PMPosted by Dragonazz
i was doing 40k on the dummy as arcane in arcane reforges after 5 mins

What was the rotation you were using? What bomb spell?
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
Same thing will happen in this expansion that ALWAYS happens to Fire mages.

- We will be strong early (not as strong as other classes but we will draw the most whining)
- We will top a lot of DPS charts and be considered "unfair", "OP" etc.
- Blizz will swing the nerf bat hard and beat us back despite cries that will be normal at 90.
- At 90 we will not scale as much as everyone else, we will suck
- 6 months later Blizz will buff us up again to where we can compete.

The cycle repeats.
Reply Quote
95 Gnome Mage
i use living bomb

and keep bomb up arcane blast til i get to 5 charges then use my arcane missles then arcane barrage

used pom for dps increase for testing

way mana is right now there is no reason to only go to 4 arcane charges i dont arcane barrage unless im atleast 5 but most the time i get atleast one arcane missles proc.
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Mage
@Shahira: Nothing has really changed in reforging or gemming, crit os still ur #1 stat for fire, then haste and mastery are a toss up to your preference. As for the fire rotation, if you liked the old RNG system then just dont use fire blast unless you want to spread your dots. The only thing that changed is the fire blast spell is now a auto crit so you really only have to get one crit with fireball/frostfire bolt to get your pyro to proc. :)

Hopefully that didnt confuse you more. It sounds fine to me but its pretty late and im pretty drunk :)
Reply Quote
I am playing frost right now and I was surprised at the AoE damage I did up to 62k dps in trash pulls. On bosses I can do up to 30-42k depending on fights and if I have a clean rotation. I am kinda happy since I always liked the frost mage theme.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
I love the changes they made to fire. Before it wasnt consistent because you relied on random crits but now you control you dps, and it's not completely random anymore. I love the fire rotation, I don't see how people think it's confusing. Havent tried the arcane spec yet, because the rotation is just boring
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
IQ
i use living bomb

and keep bomb up arcane blast til i get to 5 charges then use my arcane missles then arcane barrage

used pom for dps increase for testing

hmm. Im having a hard time replicating this. Are you on the single target dummy, so as not to get cleaves and aoe splash?

09/01/2012 01:52 AMPosted by Mickeydee
Havent tried the arcane spec yet, because the rotation is just boring

Its like the same amount spells as fire, plus you actually have manage your mana. Where does the boring come in?
Reply Quote
1 Gnome Mage
any advice? when im playing fire I go bomb -> fireball -> fireball problem lies here, everytime i use fireball i premeptively use another, but lets say if my first fire ball proc'd heating up i would want to use my inferno blast instead, but is it really better to wait and see if your first fire ball proc'd, wouldn't you be losing casting time on your next fireball if you waited to see if your first fb proc'd? thanks
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Mage
I had to figure out my Arcane all over again... but it's working ok for me. Just did madness on LFR... topped charts at 56k and all was good.

I posted the way I'm doing Arcane now here..if anyone is interested.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6413134062?page=4
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Mage
the frost attack rotation in pvp was always very clunky to me. if it is frost i hope they fixed it. but the info i've been hearing a lot on the web and in game is its gonna be arcane. Dont fear though! arcane is a different beast now. I just learned the attack rotation via the icy-veins.com website and theres a LOT more to it now. Ive been using it against the level 85 dummie in SW and having a lot of fun with it. So it should be good for MoP.

Everyone always uses the word "viable". "frost is viable, herp", "fire is viable, derp". What that means is its poop. There is always one spec that is better than the others and any serous mage or raider of any class are gonna be that. until blizz changes it in another patch. In cata at first it was fire, then it changed to arcane, then back to fire. if your raiding as arcane right now you fail. you should be fire. and what i'm hearing is its gonna be arcane for the begining at least in MoP.

That said i would like to have a new spec to play as. frost might be fun. but if its gonna be fire and arcane back and forth as usual, i dont care, whatevs.

Anyone raiding right now has a 35% debuff!
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Mage
I am an arcane fan, playing it fo a long time. But with this expansion, I quickly realized it sucked, at least at level 85. I switched to fire and am doing a lot better single target dps.

I am slightly better geared then Imaberitebak who posted 56K dps in LFR and did 65K with fire on DW in LFR. Arcane spec is, at lvl 85, 7-10K behind the fire spec on single target dps.
Edited by Jacar on 9/1/2012 3:16 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
From what I've gathered from the various beta testers, there's too much movement for Arcane to be as viable as Fire and Frost in the first MoP raids. Maybe that changed, but that's what I remember reading a couple months ago.

EDIT: Obviously if your raid group is more relaxed, you can play whichever spec you want to play. I imagine that either way, you'll be changing between two specs for the encounters for optimal performance, such as between Fire and Frost, but there's nothing deterring people from playing whichever spec they desire.
Edited by Coopthefat on 9/1/2012 3:42 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
CFT
08/29/2012 02:51 PMPosted by Shahira
I have been fire ever since I hit top level in Wrath, and am disappointed in how confusing it is, not to mention it feels clunky to me.

OMG someone else who agrees to how clunky the new and only mechanic we've gotten (IB)!

It really does feel silly to stop our rotation to hit IB. I'm planning on doing Frost and Arcane myself.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]