Yup, Cmd-M is broken.

100 Night Elf Rogue
Posted about this during the MOP beta. Switching in and out of full screen no longer puts the client at any resolution that makes sense. 1280x720 isn't even an option in my Resolution list. Instead I have:

1066x600
1296x728
1490x838
1662x934
1818x1022
1960x1102
2094x1178
2220x1248
2338x1316

And the only one that makes sense:

2560x1440

Worse yet, switching from a resolution in windowed mode back to full screen just uses the windowed mode resolution instead of the actual resolution of full screen. And setting your fullscreen resolution to the correct one makes it so that WoW takes up your entire screen anyway when you switch back to windowed mode.

Way to take a perfectly working feature and make it near useless.
Reply Quote
Blizzard Employee
We now offer a list 10 resolutions that match your screen ratio. That's why the regular modes are no longer available.

About the second part of your post, can you clarify what you mean? Do you mean that the WoW window is covering the whole screen?
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Rogue
Back in Cata (and before), I could set the screen resolution to, for example, 1280x720 (which, by the way, matches my screen ratio). When switching to windowed mode, it would switch to a window with 1280x720 resolution. When switching back to full-screen, it would use my native 2560x1440 resolution. It would do this automatically.

Now, I set the resolution to something, let's say *cough* 1296x728. In windowed mode, it's that size. In full-screen mode, WoW takes up the entire screen, but at a 1296x728 resolution instead of its native, automatic 2560x1440.

If I then set the resolution in full-screen mode to my native 2560x1440, and then switch to windowed mode, instead of going back to 1296x728, the window instead takes up as much of the screen as possible without overlapping the menu bar and Dock.

I would really like the old functionality back, as the whole point of switching to windowed mode is that it doesn't take up the entire screen, and I can watch/play WoW while something else is on the screen at the same time, and in order to do this, I currently have to change the resolution each time I switch from full-screen to windowed mode or vice versa.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Rogue
This is a problem for me as well. Especially when I am queued for LFR (for example), it's nice to be able to use CMD-M to "tab out" and not have WoW dominate my screen while I kill time checking email, choosing a new song in iTunes, or even looking up a last minute boss strategy. Having to constantly change resolutions based on the window size I want is inconvenient when it seemed to handle this seamlessly prior to the patch.
Reply Quote
- World of Warcraft
90 Undead Death Knight
In addition to the size problems of switching from full screen to windowed it also resets the position to the top left corner of the screen. This is extremely annoying.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Warlock
SiX
You can command tab out of WoW without going into window mode now. Note: 64bit client on 10.8.1
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Druid
Yes, you can. However, it should still save the window size and restore it properly, the way it used to. Sometimes I want to have it in windowed mode, either so I can see when something happens, or so I can see both my WoW window and another at the same time (writing something down, doing a calculation, looking something up, whatever).

It does, in fact, save the window size over sessions (if you exit in windowed mode). It's simply not restoring the window size and location any more when you switch from full screen.

Even the green + button on the window works the way it's supposed to be - restore to "max size", then restore back to the saved size/location. It just doesn't save that info when going from Full Screen to windowed.

If I go to windowed mode, set the window size and location, go to full screen, then exit - then in the Launcher change game preferences to Windowed mode; it restores the window to the proper size. So it is ONLY the switch from Full Screen to Windowed, while in the game, that is (needlessly) resetting the window size and location.

Edit: also just noticed that if I set it to Windowed (Full Screen) mode, then hit Cmd-M, it goes to the Windowed mode with the saved window size/location, and moves back and forth smoothly between Windowed (Full) and Windowed mode (at least, when I'm not in the game, just on the login or character selection screen); BUT, when it does switch it triggers an interface reload (regardless of what size window it's switching to); both directions, from and to windowed <-> windowed (Full) modes. It might only do this (reload interface) if Vertical Sync is enabled, not positive if that's the only thing affecting it.

Also noticed that if I was in a reduced-size window, changing the vertical sync setting (on or off) would reset the window size (but not the location).
Edited by Growltiger on 8/29/2012 6:15 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Rogue
08/29/2012 12:29 AMPosted by Mabert
You can command tab out of WoW without going into window mode now. Note: 64bit client on 10.8.1

Sounds like a reason not to upgrade to 10.8. One of the things I like about fullscreen on the Mac is that apps can say THE SCREEN IS MINE AND I'M NOT LEAVING.
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Druid
Beta was doing that in 10.7 as well. The full-screen switching is actually quite nice now, very fast.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter
Yes, you can. However, it should still save the window size and restore it properly, the way it used to. Sometimes I want to have it in windowed mode, either so I can see when something happens, or so I can see both my WoW window and another at the same time (writing something down, doing a calculation, looking something up, whatever).

It does, in fact, save the window size over sessions (if you exit in windowed mode). It's simply not restoring the window size and location any more when you switch from full screen.

Even the green + button on the window works the way it's supposed to be - restore to "max size", then restore back to the saved size/location. It just doesn't save that info when going from Full Screen to windowed.

If I go to windowed mode, set the window size and location, go to full screen, then exit - then in the Launcher change game preferences to Windowed mode; it restores the window to the proper size. So it is ONLY the switch from Full Screen to Windowed, while in the game, that is (needlessly) resetting the window size and location.

I'm also seeing this behavior (using 10.6.8).

I normally want either Full Screen, or Windowed Mode (reduced down to a fairly small size). Currently, the game will go from Windowed Mode, to Full Screen just fine, but when I try to switch back to Windowed Mode, I get Windowed Full Screen instead.

I'm finding it annoying, Windowed Full Screen is not a mode I ever see myself using. Prior to 5.0.4, the game client would swap between modes and remember size and position just fine. Now, it doesn't.

I noted the same issue on the Beta client, but ... apparently I was the only one seeing it then.

It's not exactly a game breaking issue, but it is an annoying quality of life issue.
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Druid
I don't think it's "Windowed Full Screen", just Windowed mode, but maximized. If you still have a title bar at the top of the window, it's not WFS mode.

BTW, D3 does this right. Just sayin'...
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter
08/28/2012 08:15 PMPosted by Haakkon
In addition to the size problems of switching from full screen to windowed it also resets the position to the top left corner of the screen. This is extremely annoying.

I'm still seeing this issue.

Is there a workaround? An update or a resolution I've managed to miss?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]