Prot pally aggro problems?

90 Undead Priest
Now my prot is in all lfr and a few of the vp gear and before the patch i had no problem keeping aggro no matter how much dps someone did. But now a warrior doing 20k is able to pull off of me? Anyone else have trouble with this or is it just because the damage nerf?
Reply Quote
87 Human Paladin
I'm just the opposite - pre-patch, I had trouble holding aggro, but now I practically have to work deliberately to lose it, so long as no DKs or hunter's tenacity-pet forgets to turn off their taunt, at least.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Make sure you turn your RF off and on again, or even switch specs back and forth, just in case there's some sort of bug/glitch reading you as not having it on or in prot spec for it. There is no way a warrior (or anyone) should be pulling off you in single target encounters. Pop DPS cooldowns on a pull for initial threat burst, then once you're hit a few times you should be fine.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
Personally, I think the threat 'issues' are more stemmed towards DPS just targeting whatever they want, as they are used to. Just remind them to target your first target so you can gain AoE threat before they go about killing random things.

Of course, not all problems I've had are target problems - I'm still asking Warlocks to turn off Threatening Presence on their pets after they grief about not being able to DPS because they're pulling aggro... :D
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
In terms of aoe trash packs, it certainly isn't as easy as it used to be as a paladin. Personally, I think this due to a couple of things. The slower rotation, the reduced damage output, and DPS being used to doing whatever the hell they want. I don't see this getting any better in the short term, but I think that it will even out in the long run.

Personally, my own threat in single target and raid boss situations seems to be more than adequate.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I have also been noticing some issues with holding threat. Players that have never come close to ripping a mob away are now doing so. The big thing that caught me off guard was my threat compared to my DK off tank. We have been tanking DS and H DS together for some time now and I have always pushed out more TPS. We went in to test some things last night and he can now overtake me in a matter of seconds. Has anyone else noticed this with other tank classes or is something just buggy with my RF?
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
Holding aggro is harder now. Don't listen to these blizz huggers. Nothing you can do though.

I did a lfr yesterday and barely kept the first 2 bosses at like 170% aggro lmao.

170% over what? DS has a threat suppression aura that doesn't affect pets, so if you were barely holding aggro over pets then that's not the fault of you or your class but a huge oversight by Blizzard. If other players were riding your threat, then that might be an issue.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
08/30/2012 01:21 PMPosted by Invincible
Holding aggro is harder now. Don't listen to these blizz huggers. Nothing you can do though.

Blizz huggers, huh? Single target there shouldn't be a problem. Ever. Adjust to the new rotation, or roll something else.

08/30/2012 01:21 PMPosted by Invincible
I did a lfr yesterday and barely kept the first 2 bosses at like 170% aggro lmao.

Last I checked, 170% is still holding the bosses. Also, if that's all you're holding at it's something you're doing wrong probably, or those non-suppressed pets are really creeping up on you. Which is what was happening most likely.

In terms of aoe trash packs, it certainly isn't as easy as it used to be as a paladin. Personally, I think this due to a couple of things. The slower rotation, the reduced damage output, and DPS being used to doing whatever the hell they want. I don't see this getting any better in the short term, but I think that it will even out in the long run.

Our AoE threat is definitely more involved now than just the 'spam HotR' we could do. Consecration is now pretty strong; if mobs are parked on top of it you'll be doing a lot better in AoE unless a DPS is seriously single target focusing. In which case let him have it. He should've switched to another target.

08/30/2012 02:26 PMPosted by Mathyìs
I have also been noticing some issues with holding threat. Players that have never come close to ripping a mob away are now doing so.

Is this single target? AoE? What? Give us more than 'people stealing threat!' so we can work out what the issues are.

08/30/2012 02:26 PMPosted by Mathyìs
We went in to test some things last night and he can now overtake me in a matter of seconds.

More than ever before, if you're doing a tank switch, the other tank needs to reduce their threat somehow, or stop tanking for a few seconds until the new one gets their vengeance rolling strongly.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
I ran DS on tuesday and had no threat issues at all. Never saw losing threat warning and no one came close to me. The rotation is new but with all those attacks we use as fillers like holy wrath and consecration and being hit/exp capped it really should not be an issue.
Reply Quote
remove righteous fury buff and reapply. I had this same problem till i did that and now everything is normal.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Im having big problems holding aggro as a prot pally no matter what i do i drop aggro. it a big problem i think
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Righteous Fury is a bit buggy right now, and our active mitigation model of tanking requires us to not skimp on hit and expertise.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
Thank you to whoever said remove the righteous fury off and on, it made a huge difference...after I did that I had no threat issues

Granted I am level 65, but that seemed to fix the issue for me at least.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
i've been having this issue since the patch (5.3) dropped, i also had the same issue after patch 5.2, i have no idea what the problem is but as others have said im having people pull off of me who aren't pulling 25k.

how ever since the rolling restarts on tuesday i haven't had a problem. (but then again) i haven't been inside a 10man yet. (no problems in LFR)
with that said i have RF on and have switched back a forth between specs.
i have a 510 ilvl and im hit/exp capped....

(my 2cents)

GtP
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
The recent issues were probably caused by the bugs with Force of Nature, Misdirection, and Tricks of the Trade, which were causing bosses to attack random targets. It should be fixed now.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]