Tech Tips for Patch 5.0.4

Support Forum Agent
- Addons tend to break when we patch, and broken addons can cause a long list of issues. We strongly suggest resetting your UI before patching. Please install new addons only after becoming fully patched and playable.

- Characters can take much longer to load into the game after an expansion pre-patch due to the sheer amount of data being moved between our server and your computer. This issue is amplified if you are logging your character into a crowded location such as Stormwind or Orgrimmar. Please be patient and allow at least ten minutes to pass after you select your character and the loading screen appears. At most, this delay should only occur once per character.

- The rush of players onto our servers when a pre-expansion patch occurs can often create unavoidable latency (lag) issues. This latency will tend to be more pronounced in capital cities such as Orgrimmar and Stormwind. Once the initial rush of players has subsided, so to will the increase in latency.

- We routinely upgrade World of Warcraft’s graphics with our pre-expansion patches. Older video drivers may have issues with these upgrades, so be prepared to update your drivers if you experience any performance or display issues.
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
90 Blood Elf Hunter
As Nethaera highlighted at the General Discussion forum, you will also want to back up any important combat and chat logs you may have in your logs folder. This folder's contents will be reset with patch 5.0.4.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6413171918?page=1#1
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
Just out of curiosity, is there any ideas about when can we expect a 5.0.4 64-bit client to be released? -Or will the old 64-bit client launcher still work after the patch?
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
90 Human Priest
08/26/2012 11:06 AMPosted by Epox
Just out of curiosity, is there any ideas about when can we expect a 5.0.4 64-bit client to be released? -Or will the old 64-bit client launcher still work after the patch?

Actually, the 64bit is built into MoP - no more .zip file being released, and no more needing to delete the files when you patch.

However, I'm not sure whether or not we'll need to delete the 3 files to patch when we patch on Tuesday yet - I've asked for clarification, and hopefully we'll get that soon. :)
85 Human Warrior
Addons tend to break when we patch, and broken addons can cause a long list of issues. We strongly suggest resetting your UI before patching. Please install new addons only after becoming fully patched and playable.

Does disabling or simply moving the Addons folder out of the WoW directory accomplish the same thing (moving to return it later, after patching)?
Reply Quote
80 Orc Mage
08/27/2012 03:35 PMPosted by Mardanis
Addons tend to break when we patch, and broken addons can cause a long list of issues. We strongly suggest resetting your UI before patching. Please install new addons only after becoming fully patched and playable.

Does disabling or simply moving the Addons folder out of the WoW directory accomplish the same thing (moving to return it later, after patching)?

Delete your WTF, Cache and Interface folders entirely.

DO NOT return the folders back into your WoW directory after it patches. All those Add-ons and settings are for 4.3.4 and can/will cause a lot of problems. You will have to get all the new 5.0 versions of your add-ons, assuming there is still support from the authors.

The only thing I suggest saving are your macro text files. Some macros will still work but some will be broken. Don't put the files into your new WTF folder though, just save them for copy and pasting the text into the game.
Edited by Yousel on 8/27/2012 4:34 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
64 bit files were replaced with patch this AM, so we're all good for that.

Suggestion for Interface folder/Addons... I renamed the addons folder to addons_old for easy reference.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
anyone else have their launcher stuck "downloading updated tools"? need help, mine won't move
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
I'm not stuck on the download, but I can't see my realm or my toons when I log on. According to the homepage the patch is live on all realms now. I just can't get in.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
i'm so lost for this patch, idk what is going on lol
Reply Quote
20 Human Paladin
I'm having problems when it comes to the realm selection page. I select the type of realm I would like suggested and after that, nothing shows up on the list. The enter realm button isn't lit up. I don't know what to do. Please help.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
I'm Stuck at updating setup files... And nothing's working -.-'
Reply Quote
20 Human Paladin
Vorhan, there are two forums at least, talking about possible problems of that. Most just say that you have to wait. So give it about an hour then if it stops working then you should go check out other options. Beyond that, patience is the easiest option right now. Just go watch a show. I know my reply may not be professional sounding, but I hope I helped.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
I solved the problem, enabled secondary logon from CP services... It takes like 3 seconds for that to end.... Now let's hope the sistem optimization finishes so that the patch can start downloading
Reply Quote
16 Human Hunter
I,ve been trying to log on to WoW since 11 am and it's still not working for the overly-advertizsd Pandaria update/maintenace. So what's up?
Reply Quote
16 Human Hunter
I,ve been trying to log on to WoW since 11 am and it's still not working for the overly-advertised Pandaria update/maintenace. So what's up?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
I have a black screen of death when I try to log in. I could see the realm page earlier after I updated tools, but now I have a black screen and no cursor.
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter
I cant get downloading updated tools to finish, its stopped..I have enabled secondary login...still not working...any suggestions???
Reply Quote
Victory enabling secondary logon, removing addon folder and waiting for an extendn perodof time for actual migration downloader to start.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]