Tech Tips for Patch 5.0.4

85 Night Elf Hunter
08/28/2012 03:05 PMPosted by Occamsblade
I have a black screen of death when I try to log in. I could see the realm page earlier after I updated tools, but now I have a black screen and no cursor.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I've a computer nearing two years of age now, and this latest 5.0.4 patch has caused horribly choppy video ... a pathetic 3 fps in most cases. Also, near 70% of other players I see in game have no graphic texture to the back-half of their characters, making them to appear nude from behind. Furthermore, when in an Instance, there are times when I cannot loot. However, if I leave the Instance for but a scant moment and re-enter, I can then loot the very fallen I could not loot before leaving.

I had no choice but to fall to the lowest possible game settings, and what is more puzzling is that the game settings is reporting Direct-X 9, when I am running Direct-X 11, and the game settings will not let me make an adjustment to the setting.

I opened a ticket in-game, and I got the usual pre-hashed response of deleting the Cache, the WTF, etc. Also, it was suggested that I update video driver's, window's, etc.

ok ...

First - Run dxdiag ... check.
Second - Update Video Driver ... check (already updated to the very latest version).
Third - Run Window's update ... check. (WoW still buggy / no change).
Fourth - Delete Cache, WTF, etc ... check. (WoW still buggy / no change).

(Note: Virus software, clearing temp files, junk, defrag, etc ... run on a regular basis.)

Fifth - Buy a new computer after new two years of service with this one, or a better video card ...... BUZZZZZ .... wrong answer.

At this point, I can only imagine that my graphics card has become obselete to run Wow, in which case, I will finish out the remaining two months of prepaid game-time doing the most mundane of things (perhaps lots of fishing - groan) and then bid WoW fairwell and good luck.

Listen, I fully understand why Blizz has made the decision to update their graphics and such in order to remain competitive, but I cannot justify another $100 to $300 bucks on a video card, or perhaps near $1000 toward a new computer. The economy has hit a huge part of America in a bad way, and I can think of more productive uses for even just 100 bucks than to be able to play WoW the way I did but a few short days ago, before the patch. As I can see from reading through all of the forums, many people are disappointed and are with the same feelings.

Funny thing is, this happened to me back before the release of Cata (slowing of the game, choppy play), but at that time my computer was near ten years old and I needed a new computer anyway ... but I am not about to update my computer nor buy another each time Blizz comes out with a new patch or expansion.

Blizz really needs to create an "optional", basic, playable, graphics setting that will run on older and slower systems. And No - I am not talking about placing graphic settings on the lowest of the low, but actual graphical DLL files and what not's that don't require a high-end graphics system to work. Sure, people with older system's will not share in the glamour and glitz of the newer video to come with MoP, but at least they will still be in the game. Not only would Blizz remain competitive with the newer graphics as Blizz desires, but Blizz would also become and remain a large draw for peeps with lower end systems. The best of both worlds.

So Blizz, was forcing many of your longest time customer's away in this way, a wise choice? Were I part of the Blizz Team, I would set serious consideration into making the game very playable for older graphic systems, while remaining competitive and providing higher-end graphics for client's with more powerful systems.

I mean, what's it to me if someone else sees a wind blown leaf or dazzling spells and I don't? Hey ... at least I am still in the game, and still feeding Blizz $14.99 a month.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Rogue
KOR
none of the suggestions in blue postes actually work for me

still have cintinual loop of updating setup files
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
I've been off for a couple days and when I logged in I had to do the download thing. I did that and when I click "play", it just goes to a black screen. Ive done all the things possible on all of these forums. Has wow really been down for over a week. I cant help but notice a lot of these posts started a while ago. Looks like I have some cash coming back to me from Bliz.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Hunter
Has anyone been having a problem when trying to download the patch by getting an error saying :Failed to download a required update. Please check your internet connection and try again. My internet connection is fine - I'm not sure what the heck else to do on this. It worked perfectly fine with my BETA for Pandaria but with my regular account it just won't work.
Reply Quote
28 Tauren Warrior
I just want to download the patch and play WoW and I can't can one of the blues give a simple way of speeding ever thing up?
Reply Quote
28 Tauren Warrior
I have been playing WOW for almost 4 year now. And this is the first patch that has taken this long to download. I would really like a Blue to come into this thread and help people that are having problems. Having to go to a different thread in which no one can even post in is out of line. We are paying customers and we need help to get the download to work right and to be able to play. I'm stuck at 0%. If you are not going to help then I will clance my account and my pre-order of the game.
Reply Quote
28 Tauren Warrior
Listen, I fully understand why Blizz has made the decision to update their graphics and such in order to remain competitive, but I cannot justify another $100 to $300 bucks on a video card, or perhaps near $1000 toward a new computer. The economy has hit a huge part of America in a bad way, and I can think of more productive uses for even just 100 bucks than to be able to play WoW the way I did but a few short days ago, before the patch. As I can see from reading through all of the forums, many people are disappointed and are with the same feelings.

Funny thing is, this happened to me back before the release of Cata (slowing of the game, choppy play), but at that time my computer was near ten years old and I needed a new computer anyway ... but I am not about to update my computer nor buy another each time Blizz comes out with a new patch or expansion.

Blizz really needs to create an "optional", basic, playable, graphics setting that will run on older and slower systems. And No - I am not talking about placing graphic settings on the lowest of the low, but actual graphical DLL files and what not's that don't require a high-end graphics system to work. Sure, people with older system's will not share in the glamour and glitz of the newer video to come with MoP, but at least they will still be in the game. Not only would Blizz remain competitive with the newer graphics as Blizz desires, but Blizz would also become and remain a large draw for peeps with lower end systems. The best of both worlds.

So Blizz, was forcing many of your longest time customer's away in this way, a wise choice? Were I part of the Blizz Team, I would set serious consideration into making the game very playable for older graphic systems, while remaining competitive and providing higher-end graphics for client's with more powerful systems.

I mean, what's it to me if someone else sees a wind blown leaf or dazzling spells and I don't? Hey ... at least I am still in the game, and still feeding Blizz $14.99 a month.

That's the part that gets me I mean what do I have to go get a new computer or laptop that could run WoW? I mean that is just wrong.
Reply Quote
85 Human Death Knight
When i log on everything looks fine, but when i hit map the map is black, then i close it my action bars turn black and icons are all disordered. My bags do not show anything but if i look at each little square it says they are there. I have no addons on i cleared my cache and everything i could think of. This started like 2 days after the patch and also my screen turns black beside for a few things around me. Please help.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Anyone else getting major lag no matter where they go?
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Druid
Has anyone been able to get on? I've been patiently waiting and still no luck. I've tried all the suggestions on all these forums, but still no luck. I downloaded the patch fine, but when I hit the play tab I hear the crunch sound and then go to a black screen. I can hear the background music, but just darkness. Has Dethwing finally destroyed the world?
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
So after the recent hotfix i believe on monday, I went back to having 90-120fps in almost every zone with maybe dipping into 70fps in crowded places and now I logged on this morning after the restart and bam same issue like after 5.0.4 7-20fps lowest or max setting addons or no addons I get the same low !@# fps.
Whatever was fixed in the previous hotfix was broken by the recent server restart. Would be nice to have this fixed before launch...
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
none of the suggestions in blue postes actually work for me

still have cintinual loop of updating setup files

update flashplayer
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I entered an in-game GM Ticket, pertaining to my extremely low fps rate and my concerns of roughly 70% of people's characters running around with no visible gear texture to their back-half, making them to appear totally nude (with no under-garments) from the backside, both of which having occured since the recent 5.0.4 Patch. There are several other issues as well, but I'll not list them all here.

I waited 3 days to receive a response, which didn't surprise me considering the bugginess of the patch and the overwhelming request for assistance which they (the GM's) are receiving. It happens every patch, so I waited patiently.

As stated in my previous post (#62 above), I had performed each and every option suggested by Blizz Tech Support, with no success to date to correct the glitches.

This latest reply from Blizz, suggested that I upgrade my CPU to dual core, but in the meantime they are looking into the issue.

Bzzzzzz ... say what?

I am very sorry Blizzard, but I honestly feel that rewriting the internal game engine which had worked so well and faithfully all these years, was a huge mistake on your behalf. Your choice has adversely effected hundred of thousands, if not millions, of long time, faithful WoW players. I personally don't believe this was the proper time, in a slowly recovering, struggling economy, to put so many people on the spot to reach deep into their pockets so as to upgrade, or replace their computer equipment, just so they can continue playing a game which had worked so well only a short week or so ago.

I for one have no intention of buying yet another computer just so as to play WoW, nor do I plan on upgrading even so much as the CPU alone. This computer I have now is not yet two years of age. Whatever were your software engineers and designers thinking? Was altering the internal gaming engine and graphics abilities absolutely that necessary, just to bring as Panda's?

I've played many other online games where I played under the newest graphics and glamour offered by the game, and where others played under the basics, and there was never a problem with the dynamics of the game itself other than the difference of visual effects for the two of us. (Am I to believe that Blizzard Software Engineers are incapable of doing the same?) As I stated above (post #62), what's it to me if someone else sees blowing leaves, dazzling effects and what not's and I don't? At least I would still be in the game. I am sure hundreds upon thousands of us out of the millions who play WoW, feel the same.

"Blizzard is aiming to remain competitive."

Granted, we live in an ever changing world of increasing Technology, but in the pursuit of upgrading and remaining competitive, Blizzard really should have considered an "alternative gaming engine" for their millions of faithful with older, lower end systems. Not everyone has the luxury, nor desire, to make a trip to the nearest Mall to buy a new computer on the fly, all just so they can create a Pandorian Monk in Warcraft's latest MoP Expansion, and climb 5 levels higher. Especially considering that up till this point in time (release of 5.0.4), their current computers ran the game just fine - and yes, with all the glitz and glamour as was offered in Cata.

By offering two gaming engines (the one before release of 5.0.4), and the newer after, Blizzard not only would have held onto their older customer base, which consists of the largest portion of their clientelle, but they would have also baited a new audience of millions more seeking for something new and exciting and who have the computing power to handle it.

If I am going to be told that I need to buy yet another computer just so that I can enjoy Pet Battles and create a Pandorian Monk ... guess what? I would rather buy a new gaming console instead. There are a lot more games to choose from, and many are far more exciting than another expansion of WoW.

So, with that, I end with, "Thank you Blizzard for all the years of fun. I've been here since near the beginning, and it truly has been a blast while it lasted, but sadly ... you have forced me out of the game. I've two months of prepaid game-time left, and when it ends, I am done."

For those of you remaining behind and who perhaps will upgrade or replace your current systems to remain in the game ... I sincerely wish you all the best, and the greatest of fun. WoW truly is an amazingly entertaining game, but certainly not worth the cost of another $500 to $1000 dollars from my pocket to continue onward.

- Peace.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Warlock
lahlane, i am in 100% agreement with you. i cannot afford to purchase a new computer just to play this game. i was unemployed for 9 months, and this game is part of what kept me sane. thankfully, i had paid up in advance. i also asked for pandaria for my birthday. however, if they cannot help me to even download the bloody patch, i will have to stop playing, too. i am getting NO help from tech support, and no answers. i have had NO problem until this patch. i am running diablo 3 just fine, and the beta. i am on a mac. again, NO ANSWERS. disappointed with blizzard right now. :-(
Reply Quote
88 Night Elf Mage
I am right up there with you guys. I have never had lag issues until this patch and at first I was just having spikes, but now I just sit at 8frm. I have done everything you can possably do and no change. I also can't afford a new pc, and don't see why I need to this one should be able to play with out such issues. I have googled for days about this issue and there seems to be many people out there with this issue since the patch...Sooo Blizz it would be nice if you addressed these issues!
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Not sure if this has been mentioned.
Try running in 32 bit client rather than 64 bit.
Top left of the game launcher under options.. Make sure, load 32bit client is checked.
Hope it helps some of you.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Warlock
Did you ever get an answer? Tech support didnt give me much of a clue on this one. Sorry, I meant the hanging up at Optimization. I keep getting the same message as reported by others here.
Edited by Augen on 9/10/2012 8:31 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Varras: Thank you for bringing that to our attention. This is the first I've seen it mentioned. While it brings no solution for myself, it very well may be all that is needed for others. 'Tis a shame the Blizz Tech's have yet to offer such simplicities - other than; "Upgrade your computer".
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]