Expertise For Hunters: What Is Your Opinion?

90 Undead Hunter
Just figured I would make a post to see how hunters and other people feel about expertise being added to hunters in the upcoming patch this Tuesday.

I personally think that this is such a big change, that it should be implemented in Mists of Pandaria, there is currently not alot of Agility Mail with expertise on it, thus making it very difficult to reforge to hit caps for the next 4 weeks. I am confident in MoP that there will be more options armor-wise, but I personally think this change is a little too radical to be implemented at this time.

Also, if a blue reads this post (wishful thinking), maybe a little clarity on where hunters fall: are we melee or ranged or neither from this point going forward?
Reply Quote
86 Dwarf Hunter
It's a core game mechanic change, so it belongs in the 5.0.4 patch, IMO.

The expansion brings new content. The pre-patch is supposed to bring in core game changes.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Hunter
08/25/2012 05:44 PMPosted by Gávinn
Why do hunters need expertise? how do you dodge an arrow flying at you at saying idk 15-20 mph?

I'm not sure why we need expertise, to be honest, we made it through 3 expansions without it and did just fine. I personally think it's due to our hit-box being removed, which in other posts, Ghostcrawler called a "significant buff" to Hunters, which I respectfully disagree with. It will be nice to defend ourselves if someone is leg-humping us yes, but it's a QoL improvement. Any decent Hunter worth his salt already knew/knows how to get away from these situations.

Edit: I see this, and this is my opinion only, as another PvP balancing change that Blizzard has not thought through with regards to PvE. Again, just my opinion. Do we stack behind bosses like the rest of the Melee now or do we spread out like a caster, risking both the chance of being parried AND dodged? I just have alot of skepticism about this change, it's like, and this is how I personally see it, taking away an annoying premise (Hit-Box) only to add another one in its place (unneeded expertise).
Edited by Steveirwîn on 8/25/2012 5:57 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
It's intended to allow enhancement shamans and hunters more overlap in mail gear, and more overlap with all other agility classes (another of which is being added in MoP) for jewelry. Honestly it was a mistake to not fix this with Cata launch when they were revamping hunters already.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Hunter

The expansion brings new content. The pre-patch is supposed to bring in core game changes.

I respect that, but again, I ask why it is needed in the first place? If we have to reach hit and expertise caps, what makes us any different from your typical melee DPS? Also, since casters are considered ranged, as we are, why is this not being implemented for them as well? Because they use "spells"? It just doesn't make alot of sense to me, other than another annoying gimmick being placed on the Hunter class after having a long overdue one finally removed, that is all I am saying.
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter
Why do hunters need expertise? how do you dodge an arrow flying at you at saying idk 15-20 mph?

Agreed. I told my friend that apparently everyone is now the Flash and moving at well over 100 mph. It's the only explanation I can think of.

@Brilliance They could have.. oh I dunno.. NOT been so lazy and just added in expertise gear with the VP vendors? I mean how hard would it have been to make one more wrist or boot with the same stats just swapping a secondary? From a coding perspective it would take all of 22 seconds to copy it and make the swap. Could have done that with the helmets as well.
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest

I respect that, but again, I ask why it is needed in the first place? If we have to reach hit and expertise caps, what makes us any different from your typical melee DPS? Also, since casters are considered ranged, as we are, why is this not being implemented for them as well? Because they use "spells"? It just doesn't make alot of sense to me, other than another annoying gimmick being placed on the Hunter class after having a long overdue one finally removed, that is all I am saying.

The spell hit cap is significantly higher and essentially encompasses both hit and expertise in item budget.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman

The same way a giant dragon dodges an attack from someone standing 2 feet behind it.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Hunter
08/25/2012 05:58 PMPosted by Brilliance
It's intended to allow enhancement shamans and hunters more overlap in mail gear, and more overlap with all other agility classes (another of which is being added in MoP) for jewelry. Honestly it was a mistake to not fix this with Cata launch when they were revamping hunters already.

I read "overlap" as being too lazy to make VP or raid/dungeon gear that has multiple options, but instead they decide on implementing an unwarranted change to a ranged class, the only ranged class that has to worry about expertise. If you roll a monk, it is expected for them to have expertise, since they are melee DPS. Hunters, on the other hand, are classified as ranged DPS.

Edit: I'm not trying to argue against the playerbase and their opinions, which I respect. I'm just trying to wrap my head around this change is all.
Edited by Steveirwîn on 8/25/2012 6:13 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
08/25/2012 06:04 PMPosted by Llyss

Agreed. I told my friend that apparently everyone is now the Flash and moving at well over 100 mph. It's the only explanation I can think of.

@Brilliance They could have.. oh I dunno.. NOT been so lazy and just added in expertise gear with the VP vendors? I mean how hard would it have been to make one more wrist or boot with the same stats just swapping a secondary? From a coding perspective it would take all of 22 seconds to copy it and make the swap. Could have done that with the helmets as well.

Not all gear comes from the valor vendor. If it did, that'd be super lame. This lets Blizz freely make gear useful to everyone as quest rewards, drops, and on vendors.
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
08/25/2012 06:07 PMPosted by Steveirwîn

I read "overlap" as being too lazy to make VP or raid/dungeon gear that has multiple options, but instead they decide on implementing an unwarranted change to a ranged class, the only ranged class that has to worry about expertise. If you roll a monk, it is expected for them to have expertise, since they are melee DPS. Hunters, on the other hand, are classified as ranged DPS.

Edit: I'm not trying to argue against the playerbase and their opinions, which I respect. I'm just trying to wrap my head around this change is all.

I guess you can call it laziness. I would call it efficiency. It's more efficient to allow all relevant classes to at least benefit in some way from gear instead of leaving one class with this weird exception and designing around it.
Reply Quote
I think next rogues should need intellect because the poisons are magical and the intellect could make the poisons do more damage, this seems pretty logical imo, since we are changing up the game and making the classes require more stats in order to operate normally.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
08/25/2012 06:22 PMPosted by Thickhammer
I think next rogues should need intellect because the poisons are magical and the intellect could make the poisons do more damage, this seems pretty logical imo, since we are changing up the game and making the classes require more stats in order to operate normally.

Hunters have needed less hit/exp than every other class. They're just bringing them up to par with other classes.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warrior
Last I checked, you can find expertise on hunter gear in the patch from the gear already in. They changed it around for you guys.

Move slightly to the left.

It's an arrow. Not a mortar round.
Edited by Jessebella on 8/25/2012 6:28 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
08/25/2012 05:42 PMPosted by Steveirwîn
I personally think that this is such a big change, that it should be implemented in Mists of Pandaria, there is currently not alot of Agility Mail with expertise on it, thus making it very difficult to reforge to hit caps for the next 4 weeks.

If I recall right, this Tuesday expertise will just show up on your tier gear, so you won't need to do very much reforging for it at all.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]