Theramore's Fall: Now Live for Level-85 Players

I did not like the Theramore scenario.

These are the reasons:

1. There was no explanation of what was happening.
2. My group never felt very threatened because the mobs were very easily killed. We also did not communicate whatsoever because there was no requirement to do so. My group completed the scenario without a healer and a tank.
3. When we entered, it looked like all the mobs were just wandering around doing nothing.
4. I thought we were going to fight the horde before Theramore fell, so my group entered the battle AFTER the battle and we were killing pillagers and looters. Not very epic.
5. We burned some ships so the horde couldn't escape? Burning the ships didn't make sense to me.
6. It felt like I was questing with a group of random people.
7. The cutscenes were short and not very fluid with not alot of activity.
8. When Jaina appeared right at the end she said one paragraph and then left.
9. The scenario was extremely short, boring, and a grind of horde mobs.
10. After it ended, I teleported back to Stormwind and proceeded to do what I normally do: duel, as if it never happened.

Marchisio

I agree with all but the first, if you stay on the boat it pretty much explains it, or if you do the horde side first you get it.

But as I said before, right now my question is; what in hell are the developers thinking about every ones point of views......Do they got anything up their sleeves and are making fun of all of their players mis guided rage or are they freaking out?
Edited by Arhagon on 9/18/2012 11:35 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Paladin
09/18/2012 10:20 PMPosted by Tythos
lol I was under the impression the cinematic was the pre launch event :P Im so numb when it comes to WoW I dont even have the desire to QQ anymore. They know they will get my money for MoP and my sub money because drug dealers know we depend on them for our fix so they can neglect us all they want because in the end they know they have us hooked.

Congrats on being numb, I'm sure it feels great. There have always been new cinematics before an expansion, but the cinematics are not the same as the pre-launch events. Have you been this dense forever, or just now?
Reply Quote
92 Tauren Druid
I am curious... since this is happening both at the level 85 pre-Mists portion of time AND the levle 90 post-Missts time...

When does it actually occur?

Pre-the unveilling of the Mists?

Or post?
Reply Quote
I ranted long and hard about this event to my friends several hours ago when I did the event. I figured by now I would have cooled off. I suppose I have, but not by much.

I've enjoyed the game up to this point. Vanilla Lore, BC Lore, Wrath Lore, and Cata...I loved it all, and frequently told the nay-sayers to go shove it. Time and time again, I've defended pretty much every aspect of WoW, from a player and a programmer standpoint. (Go ahead, check my post history. Good luck finding me complaining about the game.)

---

Now, I've only tried the Horde side of this scenario. I had planned to try the Alliance side, but I was pretty annoyed by that point. Here's my (extremely summed up) thoughts on the Theramore Scenario:

As either a scenario or an expansion event, it should not end with every other player going, "Wait, that's it?"

Here's a little more detail:

It's hard for me to express how disappointed I am. This was the fall of Theramore at the hands of the Horde. Anyone who knows anything about the relationship between Theramore and the Horde knows that this is kind of a big deal.

And you put it into a piddly little three-man "dungeon"? And not only did Jaina not show up (Again, I played Horde side), but the players aren't even responsible for the bomb? We're just the distraction, as it turns out. Which, by the way, you don't know until the end of the scenario.

The whole thing is a horrible, horrible let down. And THIS is the thing that's supposed to get us pumped up for MoP?

---

Okay, I'm committed to paying for my subscription through the end of the year. After all, I signed up for the Annual Pass, and I'm okay with that. But Mists better be one hell of an expansion, or December 31st will be the last anyone sees of me in this game, I don't care how awesome my guild is.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Hunter
Pretty overwhelmingly disappointed.
Reply Quote
100 Human Priest
The queue times are terrible at the moment. I have been waiting over an hour and still no queue popping.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Paladin
09/19/2012 01:07 AMPosted by Majesta
The queue times are terrible at the moment. I have been waiting over an hour and still no queue popping.

Consider it a blessing and go to bed.
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Druid
I did not like the Theramore scenario.

These are the reasons:

1. There was no explanation of what was happening.
2. My group never felt very threatened because the mobs were very easily killed. We also did not communicate whatsoever because there was no requirement to do so. My group completed the scenario without a healer and a tank.
3. When we entered, it looked like all the mobs were just wandering around doing nothing.
4. I thought we were going to fight the horde before Theramore fell, so my group entered the battle AFTER the battle and we were killing pillagers and looters. Not very epic.
5. We burned some ships so the horde couldn't escape? Burning the ships didn't make sense to me.
6. It felt like I was questing with a group of random people.
7. The cutscenes were short and not very fluid with not alot of activity.
8. When Jaina appeared right at the end she said one paragraph and then left.
9. The scenario was extremely short, boring, and a grind of horde mobs.
10. After it ended, I teleported back to Stormwind and proceeded to do what I normally do: duel, as if it never happened.

Marchisio

I have to agree with you on that, sir. I also felt like I was questing with random people that never talked, it was like a group of zombies. You pretty much summarized my thoughts on this.
Reply Quote
100 Orc Shaman
This would have been a ton better if they gave the low lvls a few quests to do to prepare for hte bombing (allaince and horde...example alliance 'hearing something might happen but no one believes them so you and a select few try to evactuate and prepare while others laugh....horde in actually Gettig and "acquiring" the bomb...mind you STILL dont know WHERE we got it ...specially since in BC the "mana bomb" was stated by both sides as a TON more devistating...hell you see one in tarrokar and what it did to the town there....no crater but everythings WARPED and just ....dead, save for the moths...so maybe a quest that had us go there pick up the old bomb and help to recreate it?)

but nope.... 5 minute instance and they expect us to buy the book to understand it fully when they make their money on game subscripts...which Im going to take a guess and someones gonna point out if i dont...(sorry)...they might lose more than the book made them because of the possible sales they would have had if the event was "epic" hoping to see more of it in mists..
Reply Quote
91 Orc Death Knight
I will say that I've been playing the MoP beta (world questing and pvp) since the first wave. Imho, it's far better than Cataclysm. Having said that, I didn't play any of the scenarios.
Edited by Vindiseasel on 9/19/2012 4:18 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Human Death Knight
What a disappointment.

1 out of 10 Blizzard, and that is being generous.

At least the cloth farmers are having fun I guess....
Reply Quote
100 Orc Shaman
09/19/2012 04:06 AMPosted by Demonae
At least the cloth farmers are having fun I guess....

^ this...
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Priest
It's hard for me to express how disappointed I am. This was the fall of Theramore at the hands of the Horde. Anyone who knows anything about the relationship between Theramore and the Horde knows that this is kind of a big deal.

And you put it into a piddly little three-man "dungeon"? And not only did Jaina not show up (Again, I played Horde side), but the players aren't even responsible for the bomb? We're just the distraction, as it turns out. Which, by the way, you don't know until the end of the scenario.

To be honest, finding out at the end we (as Horde) are just a distraction running through to help the spy escape makes sense.

Why?

Because we're nothing to Garrosh Hellscream but fodder.

I felt the Horde side played a little better than the Alliance side. I do think there's should have been something a little more substantial after clicking on the portal to Ogrimmar then the cutscene - which seens to be identical to the cutscene that opens things for the Alliance - followed by an immediate you're in Orgimmar, nothing to do.

I guess the best way to put it is Horde got the opener without an ending. Alliance got the closer without a beginning. Neither side get a complete package,and both sides together really don't clear anything up. All we know is a bomb got dropped on Theramore.

A friend put it well yesterday - we got told to sit in a random queue just to go kill a bunch of NPCs as fast as possible and then got nothing for the time spent. More productive just to walk into a city to kill NPCs instead of wasting time in the queue.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Death Knight
I renewed last month to test out the changes... just re-cancelled my account after trying the scenario a couple times.

I've done quest chains that were longer, more interesting, more rewarding, and made more sense than this. At least the Alliance get to see Jaina, all I saw was 10 minutes of trash killing for some fireworks.

I could probably let a mediocre encounter slide...
...except it's the first new content since November.

How do you go almost a year without giving a player base of 10 million subscriptions anything new to do? Not asking for a full quest hub or anything here, but to wait this long for what feels like a throwaway... I changed my stance on MoP from 'cautious optimism' to 'wait and see.' I'm just glad I didn't pre-order this time around.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
I have mixed feelings about it. From a Horde perspective:

- The end speech from the spy & the video was great, I have a clear idea of the end result of what happened there and why

- I have no idea why we were there in the first place really... we were fighting in barrens, and then we landed troops at Theramore or something? I dunno, totally oblique to me. You clicked the "join scenario", then you just had to go find barrels & stuff without any explanation.

- It's definitely balanced so that 3 dps who're minimum ilvl to get in can succeed. It suggests to me that scenarios will bring new meaning to the word faceroll once you're geared.

- I hope that you make them soloable because it's the only way a raid geared toon is going to get any challenge out of them. The trade-off being that it'll always be slower that way, so it'll never be optimal, it'll just be more enjoyable if you prefer some challenge.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Hunter
Just three comments.

1. Either this is the biggest failure ever in terms of popularity of content, or there is something chronically wrong with the queue. When I first joined the queue last night, the tool-tip informed me "54 minutes". Yes 54 Minutes. As others have noted, since this isn't class dependent, you should be able to get people into this as soon as three people have queued.

2. The overall design idea of making content for any three characters may have a fundamental flaw. Since there's no guarantees who you'll be teamed with, you need to balance for all of the ten possible combinations of DPS, Healer and Tank that you can assemble with three players. Unless you can change the difficulty of the instance for each group, you have something close to an impossible problem, made worse by the vast range of character ilvl that exists among the L85 playerbase.

- It's definitely balanced so that 3 dps who're minimum ilvl to get in can succeed. It suggests to me that scenarios will bring new meaning to the word faceroll once you're geared.

- I hope that you make them soloable because it's the only way a raid geared toon is going to get any challenge out of them. The trade-off being that it'll always be slower that way, so it'll never be optimal, it'll just be more enjoyable if you prefer some challenge.

This.

I was chatting with a guildie about the event after I'd done it, and one of my comments was that I could easily have soloed it. I match the second of the two quoted paragraphs. I'm DS raid geared, with a few heroic pieces, and it simply was a faceroll for me, often pulling a couple of groups at once with my pet for the sake of speed. I think he popped shell shield at most twice once during the scenario, he just wasn't taking that much damage.

The quickest idea I can come up with is to make this an option, but as the character's ilvl ramps up, permit queuing first for for a three man run, then two, and finally at a high enough ilvl as a solo player. Either that or make it an option to use your "challenge mode" technology to drop a players effective ilvl to the point where they actually have to work to do this.

3. SPOILER WARNING! With the destruction of Theramore, and the way that it was achieved, if Wrynn and the other alliance leaders do not respond in kind, you are going to lose any chance that ever existed of shaking off the belief that Chris Metzen and the "writers of the lore" vastly favor the Horde.

Your failure to remove Bwemba and the Darkspear trolls from Stormwind Harbor is a grave mistake. After the events in Theamore, either the Trolls would have to become an Alliance faction en masse, or there would be lynch mobs down at their boats, looking for blood. This is all about believability, it is simply not possible to believe in a world where Theramore has been destroyed, and yet an enemy contingent is still present within our walls.
Edited by Xanthia on 9/19/2012 8:53 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
I read the book, and I was expecting something more. A quest line call from Varian to help defend Theramore/kill horde would have been minimal. I also would've liked to have seen some choice (particularly good for RPers). Perhaps mages could've had the option to go to the Kirin Tor and help only with defense of Theramore, Priests/First Aid/option for low-levels getting an option to help with the wounded. Horde players (I haven't played through the Horde scenario) could've been given a choice to help Garrosh, or turn their backs on his course of action. And, afterwards, there was no helping Jaina make a hasty retreat (I'm thinking of something similar to escaping from LK (aka "We're not retreating; we're advancing in a different direction"). The ending to the scenario has to be the biggest let down. There was nothing to really tie the scenario in to the upcoming xpac.

Everything about the lead-in to Cata was about the story going on, elements in upheaval, the screen shaking every now and then due to the earthquakes, quests figuring out what the Twilight's Hammer cult was all up to (these were also things that low-levels/new players could complete and make them feel a part of the story), quests about these mysterious tablets that were found, witnessing the faction leaders talk about what needed to be done, etc. I was disappointed by this lead-in.
Edited by Gandålf on 9/19/2012 9:31 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]