Healer or DPS?

90 Tauren Warrior
'sup
I'm thinking of rolling my 1st alt, but can't decide whether I should go for DPS or healing. DPS seems to be easier on average, but there's an oversupply of these classes, whereas heales are always hard to find, make them easier to find groups.
Opinions?
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Rogue
Well, take a class that has a healing spec. Every healer also has at least one DPS spec, too.

Have your cake and eat it, too!

This is one reason Druids and Paladins are so often recommended as good beginning classes -- because in that one class they each all the roles: healing, tanking, DPSing -- druids even get both melee and ranged DPS. Or try shaman: healing, melee DPS, ranged DPS.
Reply Quote
98 Human Warrior
As Rulf said, now that Dual Specializations exist, and at a rather reasonable fee (10g), choosing a class that has both a DPS and a Healing spec might be the best option for you. The following classes have both a Healing spec and a DPS spec:

• Druid Both Feral (Melee) and Balance (DPS) offer you a DPS choice, and Restoration is a Healing spec that focuses on HoTs (Heal-over-Time spells) and other indirect healing. Feral is akin to the Rogue class in that it relies on stealth and combo points to deal damage, and Balance is a ranged spec that makes use of the Eclipse mechanic (build an eclipse with a certain spell, then when it reaches maximum, switch to a different spell to build the opposite eclipse, etc.).
  • Paladin Retribution offers you up-close-and-personal melee DPS with a few spell components thrown in, and Holy is the undisputed king of burst healing (large, quick heals).
  • Priest Priest is a class with 2 Healing specs and 1 DPS spec: Holy, which focuses on direct heals to a number of targets; Discipline, which focuses more on damage mitigation and indirect heals; and Shadow, which is a DoT (Damage-over-Time) based DPS spec.
  • Shaman Shaman, like Druids, offer you a choice of 2 different DPS specs (Elemental, for Lightning Bolts and Thunderstorms, and Enhancement, for dual-wielding and weapon enchants) and a Healing spec, Restoration, which offers a mix of direct and indirect healing, and can choose to focus on a single target or many, at the player's discretion.

I hope this was all helpful, and don't hesitate to ask if you have any further questions!
Reply Quote
Community Manager
Having played a tank and DPS for many years, I recently gave healing a try and actually quite enjoy it! For me, it’s been a really interesting change of pace and I now have two level 85 healers. ^_^
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
I ran Tank in BC, Dps in Wrath and Cata, and i'm going to run Heals in MoP. Totally different vibe, i've enjoyed dabbling in it!
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Try dps and heals out, and play what you enjoy more :)

I personaly enjoy healing, 85 Rdruid, Rsham, Disc priest and this here pally im posting on Hpal is no doubt my fav healer and my fav dps, i also tank on this pally from time to time =P
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
08/23/2012 05:55 PMPosted by Crithto
Having played a tank and DPS for many years, I recently gave healing a try and actually quite enjoy it! For me, it’s been a really interesting change of pace and I now have two level 85 healers. ^_^

I think many new players can be intimidated by tanking or healing and if they just really throw themselves into that new role they might find it was the perfect fit for them.

A lot of players love the challenge of healing, having the group depend so much on you to keep them up, especially in harder dungeons/raids.
Reply Quote
I agree about just making a healer, and falling back on the DPS spec if it turns out you don't like healing (just keep in mind that it may or may not bore you to tears in the earliest levels, although I think that's more of an heirloom thing). Make a druid, shaman, or priest, and you can just use one set of gear while you figure it out. Then if healing seems enjoyable enough, maybe try it on a pally to see what you think.

The main thing is to be a healer because you want to be a healer, not just for shorter queue times. I'm sure you've had experience with healers who weren't all that into healing.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Warrior
New warrior tank here. Decently geared and looking for any suggestions on Talent build, rotation, glyphs, etc.
Thanks
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
Personally, I love the challenge of perfecting my spell rotation and gear to maximize my dps. Although I do have a pally I love tanking and healing on. For me, it's not so much earning gear that perfects the healer or tank so much as the rotation of cooldowns/abilities, which is why my mage is my favorite toon, as dps is the most fun :P
Reply Quote
82 Worgen Mage
New warrior tank here. Decently geared and looking for any suggestions on Talent build, rotation, glyphs, etc.
Thanks

I would wait until Tuesday to get set into something. Basically everything is changing on Tuesday regarding glyphs, talent build, and rotation...for all classes.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
Thanks

Why are you hijacking someone else's thread?
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Warrior
Personally I really want to get into healing, but healers get blamed whenever a raid goes awry, even though it's usually not their fault; hence, I'm having second thoughts.
Reply Quote
94 Night Elf Priest
08/23/2012 09:19 PMPosted by Pzkpfw
Personally I really want to get into healing, but healers get blamed whenever a raid goes awry, even though it's usually not their fault; hence, I'm having second thoughts.

Actually, I would say it is the 5 mans where you are more likely to get blamed unfairly if you are a healer. Raiders tend to be more knowledgeable.

I really enjoy healing. I have been doing it for almost 7 years. You can "hide in the crowd" if you play DPS, but both Tanks and Healers are pretty obvious when they slip up.

You should give it a try if you think you will like it. One thing I like a lot is how it gives you a sense that you really make a difference on the group or raid suceeding or failing.
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
08/23/2012 09:26 PMPosted by Shylena
You can "hide in the crowd" if you play DPS

You can also stand out in the crowd when you do well as a DPS.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
healing master race
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
'sup
I'm thinking of rolling my 1st alt, but can't decide whether I should go for DPS or healing. DPS seems to be easier on average, but there's an oversupply of these classes, whereas heales are always hard to find, make them easier to find groups.
Opinions?

Why choose at all? Start a Druid now -or- wait for MOP and make a Monk.

Invest in as many of the largest bags you can afford, and collect all the appropriate gear. If you feel like healing, heal. If you feel like DPS, dps. If you feel like tanking, tank.

Druid gives you the added bonus of Ranged DPS vs. Melee DPS. Both forms of DPS compliment alternative roles to take advantage of the gear.

An additional thought is that Druid would also give you a lot of variety in Healing. In druid healing you'll have a full spectrum of HoTs, Direct Healing and AOE healing.
Reply Quote
99 Tauren Druid
08/24/2012 05:05 AMPosted by Zanumas
You can "hide in the crowd" if you play DPS

You can also stand out in the crowd when you do well as a DPS.

You're more likely to stand out as a DPS by doing poorly. Unless you're one of those people who likes to spam Recount every time they top the charts. Then you stand out for a completely different reason.
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Rogue
08/23/2012 09:19 PMPosted by Pzkpfw

True that...I've had my worst experiences in LFD as a healer. Not only will you get blamed for bad healing, but also for bad tanking and bad DPSing.

There are other sides to the coin. Maybe because of the blame game, healers are a very tight-knit bunch. I think the healing community is the most supportive in the game (outside of this newbie forum).

For instance, there's a great thread for venting about horrible LFD and LFR experiences in the healing forum: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6202181753#6 The stories are funny, and you get a lot of support. The DPS and Tank forums have tried to start similar threads, but they never take off.

Also, of course, 1) Healing is rewarding in a different way -- if the group lives, you've succeeded, and you don't need to worry about how you did on Recount, and 2) It's more variable than DPSing...you have to react to what's happening more often, rather than sticking to your rotation. Keeps you on your toes.

My 2 cents.
Edited by Rulf on 8/24/2012 9:09 AM PDT
Reply Quote
86 Troll Druid
dont miss out on anything this game has to offer. try healing out. its very rewarding. come on, youre keeping your people alive, how cool is that?

you could start healing on your paladin but you mentioned you wanted another character. may i suggest priest? 2 healing specs for double the fun.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]