5.0.4 Performance Issue (Similar to D3 Beta)

(Locked)

90 Human Death Knight
The CPU usage and heat I can live with.. but the camera/FPS moving in "steps" is unbearable.
FPS is averaging 2 - 3. I'm not hanging out in a major city. HELP!!!!

Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac6,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.16 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 4 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 667 MHz
Boot ROM Version: IM61.0093.B07
SMC Version (system): 1.10f3
Hardware UUID: 00000000-0000-1000-8000-0016CBA120FF

System Version: Mac OS X 10.6.8 (10K549)
Kernel Version: Darwin 10.8.0

NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT
Type: GPU
Bus: PCIe
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 128 MB
Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
Device ID: 0x0395
Revision ID: 0x00a1
ROM Revision: 3022
Displays:
iMac:
Resolution: 1920 x 1200
Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Built-In: Yes
100 Human Warlock
The thread that's using 100% of a CPU, on the login screen and while logged in, is running GetBattlenetAllocator()...ok, can you fix it now?

Oh, and I'm usually running the 64-bit client, but the 32-bit client shows the exact same behavior.

Bravo, sir. That likely means that although there's a client bug (it shouldn't be calling it that often, or at least behave better if it's a single call), but there's a chance that this can be fixed server side if it's just something on Battle.net that it can't locate.
90 Human Death Knight
And to think by the time this gets fixed, MoP will hit and we'll have another load of problems...
90 Worgen Warrior
Yes, it seems like the same framerate slowdown we got from D3. Beta was working great for me with the NVIDIA9400m (and yes, I checked the specs before the patch came out that said this card is supported). Once the patch dropped, though, framerates nosedived with all addons turned off.

I deleted my chache folder and that helped a little, but the rate still slows to about 3-4 once I enter combat. It doesn't matter whether it's a 10 man, 25 man, bg or just a duel.

My frustration, and I had this thought when D3 came out, is that Blizz should have gone and looked at the upcoming MoP patch and expansion for mac users at that time. Now I've already pre-ordered MoP and the game's almost unplayable.

I know there's a lot going on with the new patch. Please pose a blue note near the top of this forum like you did for D3 to keep us updated as to what's going on with this problem. Thanks.
85 Undead Priest
The thread that's using 100% of a CPU, on the login screen and while logged in, is running GetBattlenetAllocator()...ok, can you fix it now?

Oh, and I'm usually running the 64-bit client, but the 32-bit client shows the exact same behavior.

Bravo, sir. That likely means that although there's a client bug (it shouldn't be calling it that often, or at least behave better if it's a single call), but there's a chance that this can be fixed server side if it's just something on Battle.net that it can't locate.

Indeed. And now it would be great if we could get an update from Blizz to the forum. This problem "should' be pretty simple to solve either way. Put a sleep 1 in the loop on the client if thats what it takes to let MAC users play until a better solution is found. It's only been a day but it seems like a week! :)

Thanks in advance Blizz.
90 Gnome Warrior
Hear hear. This is a major issue (we're up to 10 pages now, and that's not counting all the other people with the same problem that just haven't figured out where this particular thread is) and I think that qualifies as 'needing addressing ASAP'. Hell, I would put up with a hotfix patch RIGHT NOW, as I don't want to wait until next week. Rolling restarts, go go.

What gets my biscuits is that when I made threads about this in the beta, I got poo-poohed and told it was just that my box was full of dust or I didn't have enough fans on it or something. Now, here it is in live, and it seems like half the game is suffering what I did.

I wish more attention would be paid to bug reports when they happen, and less attention paid to people whining about what color girl-pandaren's hair streaks are.
90 Undead Mage

This...^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Curious, I dont know enough about advanced use on a Mac to find this information. How did you do it?
I'm having problems on my macbook pro as well. I seem to be overheating and after about 10 minutes of play my graphics start getting little boxes in them.

Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Memory 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 320M 256 MB
Software Mac OS X Lion 10.7.4 (11E53)

Should my computer be okay for MoP?
Edited by Silaas on 8/29/2012 7:09 PM PDT
90 Undead Mage
It's sad, all of these people complaining about artifacts and at first I thought it was a separate issue...I dealt with those problems back in my windows use days...when I was experimenting with overlclocking as a young enthusiast and didnt properly cool my processor.

Lots of spotty triangles and dark artifacts popping up all over. Sure it could be something else, but I wouldn't be surprised if the "artifacts" are just the first visible symptom of heat stress on the unit as a whole.

As I said last night in this thread, computers are not meant to be throttled up to that temperature and load all of the sudden like that, especially when we have no idea what that rogue thread in the process is repeatedly asking for 1000 times a second.

I would like to bump the revelation from earlier, about the GetBattleNetAllocator() thread in the process being the culprit. How did you locate this thread?
Edited by Upgrade on 8/29/2012 7:16 PM PDT
31 Night Elf Mage
Hey guys, I'm trying to pump a response from Blizzard customer service via twitter (@BlizzardCS).

Yeah, I know, but I guess it's worth a try. I'll update if I hear anything from that channel.

Tried playing for a bit this afternoon in a 70F room with a large fan directly on my MBP. Hit 202F in under 5 minutes when frames started dropping. Gave up. :(
90 Undead Mage
Here's a question. How many experiencing the issue have pre-upgraded to MoP?

Maybe that thread in the process [GetBattleNetAllocator()] is constantly trying to download the game? I know my pre download hasn't gone through, but my purchase did.

If that's not directly the issue, it seems its certainly something along those lines...

The reason I mention the MoP pre-download is because whatever the client is seeking obviously isn't directly related to the game, because all of us can get in and play (albeit under very poor and hot conditions).

So whatever the process is seeking is not directly related to the game.

Of course it could probably be some random string of code causing an endless loop. I'm not an expert..just an idea. It feels good to guess since we can't do anything else but wait. Any thoughts on this?
85 Draenei Mage
08/29/2012 07:21 PMPosted by Upgrade
Here's a question. How many experiencing the issue have pre-upgraded to MoP?

I haven't pre-upgraded to MoP and I'm having the same issues. I don't think it's related.
90 Gnome Warrior
Yeah, I haven't updated either. Was waiting until I got my box set first.
90 Undead Mage
Okay just spitballin'. It clearly has something to do with the client seeking something from battle.net if the "GetBattleNetAllocator" is the thread that is bogging the entire process down.
79 Human Death Knight
I'm not having any abnormal heat ( stays around 70-86 C), but my frame rate went from running everything high/ultra at 50-80 FPS, now to 12-13 FPS on all low settings. I changed my settings to low ->high and my frame rate does not change. What's going on blizzard?

I also noticed even at 720p and 1080p display system settings, WOW wants to default to 1080i. I even tried the display system setting 1360x768 and WOW forces my computer to switch to 1080i. No matter what I select in the WOW settings as well, it does the same thing.
Edited by Gangrened on 8/29/2012 7:39 PM PDT
90 Undead Mage
08/29/2012 07:34 PMPosted by Gangrened
I'm not having any abnormal heat ( stays around 70-86 C), but my frame rate went from running everything high/ultra at 50-80 FPS, now to 12-13 FPS on all low settings. I changed my settings to low ->high and my frame rate does not change. What's going on blizzard?

Please check your processor usage as certain machines combat heat more effectively than others.
79 Human Death Knight
Processor is running at 52% with safari open and sitting in Valley of Honor with my graphics set on high/ultra
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]