5.0.4 Performance Issue (Similar to D3 Beta)

(Locked)

90 Worgen Druid
I doubt that it's related to MoP purchase status, but I have purchased MoP, and my download completed weeks ago.

08/29/2012 07:08 PMPosted by Upgrade
Curious, I dont know enough about advanced use on a Mac to find this information. How did you do it?

Find the process ID of WoW (ps ax | grep World); list the threads (ps uM pid#); one will be pegged at about 100% utilization, the rest will be at or close to 0%.

gdb -p pid# (have to have command-line tools installed, way to do that on the latest version of XCode is to go to preferences, Downloads, Components, select Install on command line tools).

info threads

Will show you a list of threads, some will have names, some won't. The 7th thread is the one using all the CPU time.

thread 7
where

Will switch to thread 7, then show you where it is currently.

cont
control-C
thread 7
where

Will continue the program, then interrupt it, switch back to thread 7 and show where it's running.

To get out of gdb, enter command "quit". It will ask if you want to quit and detach, say yes.

Note that except for the time you "cont"inue it, WoW will be "paused". If you keep it paused too long you will probably be disconnected.

gdb does a better job at getting symbols than the sample in Activity Monitor, but you can look at it there as well. Select the World of Warcraft process, click inspect, then click Sample.

On the new window, select percent of thread, then notice that almost all the threads are 100% or close to 100% all the way down the line to the last item, which will be a system call (e.g. _select, _sem_wait, _psynch_cvwait, _semwait_signal, mach_msg_trap), all of which are "stop processing until something happens" types of things, which is proper behavior.

If you look at the 7th thread, you'll see it's actually doing stuff. Unfortunately, it doesn't display the symbols from WoW itself, only names from the standard system libraries.

It looks like processing the actual video (the floating leaves and such) takes a bit less than 1%, and doing the background music takes a bit less than that (on the login screen, that is). Everything else is either waiting or just barely registering as active.

BTW, I stopped at displaying symbols, wouldn't want to be violating Blizzard ToS...so I never single-stepped through to see what it's trying to do other than, presumably, Allocate something for Battle.net. Also, I doubt that it's in response to anything from the server, this is 100% a client bug, I'd give that 97% certainty.

If similar behavior was found in D3 when it was released, I'd guess that they both started from the same code base, which had a bug in it. They eventually fixed it in D3 (after it came out), but never pushed the changes over to WoW. Very sloppy, if so. Known bug, and you know another project is using it and no one makes sure that it's fixed everywhere? Ugh.
Edited by Growltiger on 8/29/2012 7:58 PM PDT
90 Orc Hunter
I just read a post at the site Blues.incgamers.com

http://blues.incgamers.com/Posts/6/1/48/869/175823/mbp-13-mid-3910-heating-vs-performance

This post reported heating issues on a MBP on the MOP Beta and was supposedly forwarded to Blizzard.

It was dated August 11, 2012. They have known about this bug for some time now.
90 Undead Mage
Very interesting. I do see the activity in that part of the process. Of course it doesn't mean much of anything to me but interesting anyway...learn something every day.

So technically does Blizzard just have to remove that thread or else provide whatever it's seeking?
90 Undead Mage
I just read a post at the site Blues.incgamers.com

http://blues.incgamers.com/Posts/6/1/48/869/175823/mbp-13-mid-3910-heating-vs-performance

This post reported heating issues on a MBP on the MOP Beta and was supposedly forwarded to Blizzard.

It was dated August 11, 2012. They have known about this bug for some time now.

There is no proof in that thread that that user is experiencing the same issue we are- there is nothing about processor usage generating obscene amounts of heat, just general bad performance, he himself admits that his system is far from ideal and his temperatures sound pretty normal. Wouldn't that system be running a geforce 9400? I wouldn't expect more than 20-30 fps out of it before things get hot.
90 Night Elf Rogue
I'm glad I searched the forums. I thought I was the only one experiencing this.
Running the new patch on a 2011 MBP I7 and my comp is going insane. Pre patch, everything was running cool and I was getting 60 fps, now I can't even get to the login screen without all fans going nuts and my comp getting extremely hot. My subscription is automatically renewed at the beginning of each month, but unfortunately i'm going to have to cancel until this issue gets resolved. Was incredibly stoked and looked forward to the new patch only to be left extremely disappointed.
90 Human Mage
I'll just add that I am also experiencing unusual CPU usage and high temperatures. Upwards of 180% on a Quad Core Mid 2010. Before patch, no issues.

On a ventilated, inclined surface, no dust etc...

OS X 10.8.1

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro6,1
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 2.8 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 2
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 4 MB
Memory: 8 GB
Processor Interconnect Speed: 4.8 GT/s
Boot ROM Version: MBP61.0057.B0F
SMC Version (system): 1.57f17
90 Undead Mage
08/29/2012 08:19 PMPosted by Manner
Hey everyone, im having this strange problem. from the moment i logged into 5.0.4 it would randomly tab me out then back in, sometimes even 3 times in less than a minute. the problem bursted during combat, has anyone else had this problem and how did they fix it?

This is not a thread regarding that issue, please take it elsewhere.
90 Worgen Druid
08/29/2012 08:01 PMPosted by Upgrade
So technically does Blizzard just have to remove that thread or else provide whatever it's seeking?

Hard to say. It may be accomplishing something required while it's also spinning its wheels.

However, I had to give it a try.

Following the above steps, once you're in gdb, enter the command "thread suspend 7", then type "cont" (or just "quit" and say yes).

Now log in. Everything seems to work fine.

CPU usage on login screen is down to almost nothing (about 3%). Running in-game, at High settings, I'm getting 45FPS (at the training dummies in SW, with a bunch of people doing dastardly things to dummies), and CPU usage is at about 65%.

Blizzard, FIX THIS! Go ask a D3 programmer how.

Edit: if you want to try this, please some some of the later responses for a good explanation of how to do this, especially this response and the one following it:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6412493648?page=21#413
Edited by Growltiger on 9/1/2012 4:16 PM PDT
90 Undead Mage

Hard to say. It may be accomplishing something required while it's also spinning its wheels.

However, I had to give it a try.

Following the above steps, once you're in gdb, enter the command "thread suspend 7", then type "cont" (or just "quit" and say yes).

Now log in. Everything seems to work fine.

CPU usage on login screen is down to almost nothing (about 3%). Running in-game, at High settings, I'm getting 45FPS (at the training dummies in SW, with a bunch of people doing dastardly things to dummies), and CPU usage is at about 65%.

Blizzard, FIX THIS! Go ask a D3 programmer how.

...So is this a workaround? ^_^
Edited by Upgrade on 8/29/2012 8:32 PM PDT
90 Gnome Mage
Jumping on this bandwagon...posting from my previous post about my Retina Display MacBook Pro with extreme heating and fans that sound like they're about to take off.

Prior to this patch, I'd run my client on Good settings and I would only maybe hear the fans in raids and the heat would seem normal.

Since the patch, I've set my graphic settings to Average and my fan goes crazy and my MBP gets extremely hot just by sitting in an isolated area in Stormwind.

At this point, it's not even worth playing if my machine goes into overdrive without even moving.

Here are my specs:

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro10,1
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 2.3 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 16 GB
Boot ROM Version: MBP101.00EE.B00
SMC Version (system): 2.3f32

Intel HD Graphics 4000:
Chipset Model: Intel HD Graphics 4000
Type: GPU
Bus: Built-In
VRAM (Total): 512 MB
Vendor: Intel (0x8086)
Device ID: 0x0166
Revision ID: 0x0009
gMux Version: 3.2.19 [3.2.8]

NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M:
Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M
Type: GPU
Bus: PCIe
PCIe Lane Width: x8
VRAM (Total): 1024 MB
Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
Device ID: 0x0fd5
Revision ID: 0x00a2
ROM Revision: 3688
gMux Version: 3.2.19 [3.2.8]
Displays:
Color LCD:
Display Type: LCD
Resolution: 2880 X 1800
Retina: Yes
Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Built-In: Yes
Connection Type: DisplayPort

System Software Overview:
System Version: OS X 10.8 (12A269)
Kernel Version: Darwin 12.0.0
Boot Volume: Macintosh HD
Boot Mode: Normal
Secure Virtual Memory: Enabled
Time since boot: 1:53
85 Draenei Mage
Growltiger I think you should make another thread with your findings with a title that will catch their attention. Looks like they are not reading this anymore =/
90 Undead Mage
Growltiger, I'm guessing you need command line tools installed to have these options available to you in terminal? I'm installing them now to try out your suggestion.
90 Orc Hunter
08/29/2012 08:37 PMPosted by Bleumuse
Looks like they are not reading this anymore =/

Agreed
90 Troll Druid
or maybe they are too busy trying to fix the problem? nah, what am i talking about.
85 Draenei Mage
08/29/2012 08:59 PMPosted by Yonic
or maybe they are too busy trying to fix the problem? nah, what am i talking about.

LOL!
90 Undead Mage
I had command line tools and followed your steps but must have taken too long, and the wow application quit. Then when I reopened terminal to start fresh I could not get the gdp command to work...strange?
90 Blood Elf Mage
I donno what i'm suppose to link but I got a iMac 27" Core i5 and i'm able to play wow no prob but i can't help the feeling that my imac is heating up I checked the temp while playing wow its at 152F and my fans are at 2069rpm donno if thats good or bad but I belive 130F is bad and my imac at 152 is worse
90 Blood Elf Mage
forgot to mention its a 2011 imac got it around late summer that yr
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]