5.0.4 Performance Issue (Similar to D3 Beta)

(Locked)

90 Dwarf Rogue
Do take into account that Ivy Bridge CPUs are designed to run at higher temperatures, though.
85 Human Priest
That is a valid point and hopefully that is whats happening, I read in other forums where Blizz is telling the people of the forums that they're looking into the issues and problems; thats where I based my assumption that we were not getting the attention that we currently need. However, hopefully you are right.

:)

Blues already stated previously that this was being investigated, so there is hope ;) just have to wait. Only reason people are getting upset is that they haven't updated/kept the thread in the loop lately.
90 Gnome Warrior
Actually, this bug is present in the beta, and has been for a long while.

I complained about it on the Mac Beta Support forums to no avail, aside from Omegal telling me my computer sucked. I admit that I didn't really look at/report precisely the ridiculous CPU usage, but I did say that my activity monitor was 'a solid wall of green'.
Edited by Arenvald on 8/30/2012 12:00 PM PDT
85 Goblin Hunter
@ Omegal

So I'm going to school right now for Game Art Design and I have to use a lot of programs at the same time such as, Photoshop, Illustrator, Maya, Mudbox, normally iTune, and at least 1 internet browser. This is a lot of high demand programs that granted sometimes are just open and not being used, but still up none the less. My MacBook Pro get to about 160F tops when I'm using all of these programs with my fans moderately humming and a cooling pad underneath. Also it takes a bit for my Mac to get that hot as well....

WoW on the other hand opens and almost instantly is past 160F and peeks at about 203F just under a minute or so. Mind you I run Nothing else while WoW is up. I understand that MacBooks design is not the best...Mine is freakin' metal with no real way to breath to let heat out, who's dumbass idea was that? However, that design has never changed and it wasn't until literally this patch that this problem occurred, sorry if I refuse to believe that my Mac is all of a sudden not working properly or the design of the Mac has become the causing factor of this problem over night.
90 Night Elf Hunter
But that's the only thing i'd complain about to devs, is poor cpu/gpu usage. Not heat issues. Heat issues are apple issues. If your computer overheats, it's because you haven't cleaned it out recently or something is wrong with your cooling measures or apples cooling design. apple should be contacted if it's a design or defect issue.

now Macbook's, another story. Apple designs them so poorly that they do overheat under max load for prolonged period of time for some models, from ANY program. is that programs fault though? no. that's apples.

How is this guy an MVP?

So, stop me if I'm wrong, but what you're saying is my brand Mac that hasn't gotten hot once during WoW is now at fault. This all makes sense now.

Maybe if you took the time to read the thread you'd see that almost everyone has been playing WoW on their Macs since before the patch and has never had a problem. No. It's far easier to blame the hardware. I should be an MVP and go around not reading threads, make derogatory comments about companies, and blame the players not the developers.

I underlined and boldfaced the important parts of the text because you obviously like to skip over things.
Edited by Gusted on 8/30/2012 12:27 PM PDT
85 Undead Priest
Actually, this bug is present in the beta, and has been for a long while.

I complained about it on the Mac Beta Support forums to no avail, aside from Omegal telling me my computer sucked. I admit that I didn't really look at/report precisely the ridiculous CPU usage, but I did say that my activity monitor was 'a solid wall of green'.

Wow thats really almost unbelievable and certainly disappointing! TBH I didn't notice it in the beta but I didn't really play it more than about 15 minutes anyways.

In any case, it's been 48 hours now for presumably almost nobody on any MAC to really be able to play and with no further "official" update. The weekend is coming...a long holiday weekend...where I should be outside enjoying the last weekend of summer...but I'd rather be playing WoW (sad I know) and raiding on any/all of my 3 raid teams to practice the new talent trees etc.

If this isn't going to be addressed shortly in a hotfix at least I'd like to know that so I can make alternate plans. Given the fact that the problem seems to have been there since beta I wouldn't assume it's going to happen any time soon, but it would be really nice to have an update!
85 Night Elf Druid
08/30/2012 12:39 PMPosted by Teabobaggins
In any case, it's been 48 hours now for presumably almost nobody on any MAC to really be able to play and with no further "official" update

We definitely need an ETA. Why? Because we pay to play and if this is going to take weeks, we shouldn't be charged for all the time we are unable to play for such a SERIOUS problem that should be top priority. They need to say something and soon.
90 Troll Druid
I installed the new SMCFanControl for Mountain Lion, cranked the fans to max, and CPU temps are now hovering around 175ºF.

Not great, but I'm not panicking about frying the CPU anymore.

Is it safe to crank up SMCFanControl to max setting?
90 Gnome Warrior
I installed the new SMCFanControl for Mountain Lion, cranked the fans to max, and CPU temps are now hovering around 175ºF.

Not great, but I'm not panicking about frying the CPU anymore.

Is it safe to crank up SMCFanControl to max setting?

Really, you might be trading one breakdown for another, because forcing the fans to run at max speed for long periods is very hard on them and will greatly shorten their lifespan. On the other hand... fans are a lot cheaper than CPUs, hard drives, or graphics cards.
65 Draenei Priest
FYI, I've been using cookie sheets as heat sinks for my Macbook. I have two. I put one in the fridge and use the other one under the Mac. Then when the one under the Mac gets warm, I swap it with the one in the fridge. It seems to help, LOL.
90 Troll Druid
Thank god I came here to check up on this issue, I do not want to fry my brand new Macbook Pro retina =(
90 Worgen Druid
Server systems are designed to run at max load for long periods of time. They have serious cooling and are kept in rooms with serious cooling. Their owners still get mad at you for wasting CPU cycles, though (costs money in power bills, running hot all the time reduces life expectancy of components, etc, even if it's set to low priority so it doesn't interfere with other work the system is doing). People get fired for mining Bitcoins on servers at work, even though there's "plenty of CPU available".

Consumer equipment, especially laptops, are NOT designed to run at max load for long periods of time. They have excess computing power so they can accomplish small tasks more quickly, not so they can get more raw computing done per hour. It's about latency and multi-tasking, not about how fast you can crank out the next prime number.

Even in the server world, very few things run at 100% CPU across all cores.
90 Orc Hunter
Actually, this bug is present in the beta, and has been for a long while.I complained about it on the Mac Beta Support forums to no avail, aside from Omegal telling me my computer sucked.

That is the exact response I got when trying to explain there was a problem in the Diablo 3 Beta. I got no response at all from Blizzard. The only response I had were posts telling that it was not a Blizzard problem and that Apple was at fault for building a lousy computer.

I finally gave up trying to tell them they had a problem and quit trying to play the beta. I guess they didn't want my input. No one would take me seriously. Thank goodness they FINALLY fixed it but it took months before they did.
90 Gnome Warrior
Thank you, Growl, for being the voice of IT sanity around here. Frankly, I think YOU should earn the greentext in this forum.

Anyway, off topic and because now I'm dying to know.... what does 'mining Bitcoins' mean? It sounds like a game.
90 Night Elf Druid
08/30/2012 01:10 PMPosted by Arenvald
Thank you, Growl, for being the voice of IT sanity around here. Frankly, I think YOU should earn the greentext in this forum.

Seconded.
90 Dwarf Priest
"me too"
Have't checked the specs specifically but I know that this is whats happening to my comp. I'll be on later to post exact specs through edit, but i am tosing my hat in this ring. Its a 2011 pro running 10.7 on an 2.9ghz i5 with 16gb DDR3.

This is unacceptable. They will fix it, the always do, but I hope for their sake that they get to avoid the lawsuits that will be flying their way from damages to the computers due to their program being used by unknowing simpletons. If it wasnt for the reddit post (http://www.reddit.com/r/wow/comments/z11rj/macusing_wow_players_is_anyone_else_experiencing/) i would have thought, "huh computer is a little hotter" and kept melting components.

Come on blues.
- Technical Support
90 Human Priest
Hey guys, we're trying to get this solved so please lay off Omegal. Flaming him isn't going to help us any. He should have prefaced his statement with properly designed software won't cause temperatures to go up. Bugs creep in, and that's what this almost certainly is, a bug.

It's also true that properly designed software (i.e. software without bugs) will never cause a kernel panic, as the OS is designed to prevent just that via protected memory. Again, it is usually bugs that get by the first or second pass that cause kernel panics, outside of genuine hardware issues.

Let's focus more on the heat issue and less on bashing Omegal please. :)
90 Worgen Druid
Well, I do agree that Apple should put in better fan control and (when that fails to control the temperature climb) throttle back the CPU, either with hardware to slow it down (some chips have throttling capabilities for this purpose) or simply have the operating system enforce idle time on a periodic basis (every N msec everything goes idle for 1 msec).

But even with that, excessive CPU load will still have it running pretty hot, and certainly be chewing through the battery much faster. Also, with throttling, what you'll see is even worse performance, but at least it wouldn't damage any hardware.

I guess I should also point out that tower systems (which, of course, Apple makes) are far better able to handle high workloads, doing a long video render or batching image transforms is one of the things they're designed to do. They're also loud (especially when under heavy load when the fans crank up), big, expensive and use a lot more power. Total overkill for playing a video game, reading email and web surfing, though.
90 Human Warrior
Just putting my name out there with everyone else. Macbook Pro 13in i7 8GB RAM and 3.2GHz Intel. Was running high graphics with 60 FPS perfectly before patch. First day of patch worked surprisingly well, but just yesterday everything went to !@#$. On the lowest graphics I cannot get more than 20 FPS.
Blizzard Employee
I just want to acknowledge the issue raised by Growltiger, a fix will be included in a future patch. We will do our best to deliver this patch asap when it's ready. We are sorry for the inconvenience that this is causing.

We hope that this will solve the overheating issue but we can't be sure since we have problems reproducing that issue.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]