5.0.4 Performance Issue (Similar to D3 Beta)

(Locked)

85 Human Paladin
I just want to acknowledge the issue raised by Growltiger, a fix will be included in a future patch. We will do our best to deliver this patch asap when it's ready. We are sorry for the inconvenience that this is causing.

We hope that this will solve the overheating issue but we can't be sure since we have problems reproducing that issue.

Thank you for responding and keeping us informed.
- Technical Support
90 Human Priest
I can see how you're having an issue reproducing this - the thread changes each time you launch WoW, and you have to go by the method Growl gave us to view all of the threads' "where" information to determine which one has way too much user time vs. system time (other than the main thread which always has such). I've yet to see any two searches pull up the same function label, so I can understand how frustrating this is to resolve.

:)
90 Gnome Warrior
Yay, response finally!

A friend of mine has an iMac and isn't experiencing the bug either. I'm not sure why some mac users get the runaway process consistently, and others don't, but I can see how that would make it difficult to pin down.

I still want to give serious kudos to Growltiger for tracking down the actual code process that's going haywire so at least Blizzard knew what to twiddle even if they weren't able to replicate it in house. Also...HNG. Patch.

I'd say I was fussing about soon, but I have out of town company coming in tonight so I don't know how much time I'll legitimately be on for the weekend. So I suppose if this was going to happen, I'm glad it's doing it now because I won't be sitting and staring at my computer going 'when can I play can I play yet why can't I play yet is the patch out yet when can I play'? for hours on end.
85 Night Elf Druid
08/30/2012 02:31 PMPosted by Arenvald
I won't be sitting and staring at my computer going 'when can I play can I play yet why can't I play yet is the patch out yet when can I play'? for hours on end.

Lucky you. The rest of us have to settle with "soon".
85 Tauren Shaman
Thank you for the response, I hope you guys are able to implement a fix soon- the new patch seems great and I'm eagerly waiting to play it!
- Technical Support
90 Human Priest
S4d1k, is it possible to create a debugger enabled client so those of us with the issue can help gather samples for you to use? Those of us willing to wade through that stuff are quite happy to assist if we can.
90 Dwarf Priest
08/30/2012 02:41 PMPosted by Tiapriestess
S4d1k, is it possible to create a debugger enabled client so those of us with the issue can help gather samples for you to use? Those of us willing to wade through that stuff are quite happy to assist if we can.

this times a thousand. if you cant reproduce it we sure can
90 Human Death Knight
Im glad they're working on it, and acknowledged it just recently. Just have to hope the patch is soon, and not in a month :P
85 Undead Priest
I can see how you're having an issue reproducing this - the thread changes each time you launch WoW, and you have to go by the method Growl gave us to view all of the threads' "where" information to determine which one has way too much user time vs. system time (other than the main thread which always has such). I've yet to see any two searches pull up the same function label, so I can understand how frustrating this is to resolve.

:)

It could be that Battle.Net accounts within Blizz satisfy the condition of this function and so it doesn't spin.

I could also be they have mostly machines with quad core CPUs which would probably run less hot at 100% than dual cores at 200%...which would be more difficult to show the overheating....but the overheating seems pretty directly linked to CPU utilization of the runaway thread which I think Growltiger confirmed at least on his machine.

Who knows. It might be interesting for Arenvald to post his friends iMac configuration as well.

In any case it's good news...help is on the way! Thanks for updating us B.
Edited by Teabobaggins on 8/30/2012 2:51 PM PDT
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I just want to acknowledge the issue raised by Growltiger, a fix will be included in a future patch. We will do our best to deliver this patch asap when it's ready. We are sorry for the inconvenience that this is causing.

We hope that this will solve the overheating issue but we can't be sure since we have problems reproducing that issue.

Thank you, Blizzard!!!!!!!
90 Troll Druid

Yes I agree with that ^
85 Goblin Rogue
Nice sticky :D

I sure hope this gets resolved soon!

I know I am not the only one who has cancelled until the game is playable again :(
Blizzard Employee

This is not option since we would make WoW easier to hack.
We also wouldn't be able to provide you with a new client before the next patch. So we might as well fix the problem.
90 Night Elf Hunter
We also wouldn't be able to provide you with a new client before the next patch. So we might as well fix the problem.

Understandable, I just hope you guys can fix the problem and (hope it's just one), although I think there might still be the issue with the retina display going wacky. Good Luck!
90 Worgen Druid
Yeah, I wouldn't expect a debugger-enabled client for exactly that reason.

I'm pretty confident that if the runaway thread is reined in, it will solve many of the overheating issues people are having, as well as improving things for people with low FPS. There are still probably some issues, but this is certainly a big contributor to both types of problems.

I wasn't seeing serious FPS issues on my machine, but then I have a quad-core hyperthreaded processor, so I still had plenty of headroom left. Even so, getting rid of that thread did improve my frame rate some and makes my system run quite a bit cooler.

At least it's being acknowledged as an issue a lot faster than the macro problems on Beta that didn't get fixed for 2 or 3 months (and then, it turned out it was a deliberate feature that simply had a bug; if there had been better communication with the community about changes to behavior, it would have been OBVIOUS 3 months earlier what was going on, and a fix could have been quickly made).
Edited by Growltiger on 8/30/2012 3:22 PM PDT
Props to Growltiger - this method works for me, too. Thanks for the update, S4d1k - eagerly waiting for the fix.
- Technical Support
90 Human Priest
08/30/2012 03:02 PMPosted by S4d1k

I was thinking more along the lines of only giving it out to specific people, but that'd also entail us signing an NDA as well, which I suppose is overkill for even this problem.

That said, I noticed that when the runaway thread was left active, my GPU usage was pegged at 100% and CPU was at 260+% (Avg. 65%/core). Growl noted that when suspending the thread, the friends list/realID and battletag features were disabled. You wouldn't by chance be leveraging any form of OpenCL in this client revision would you? It seems fairly odd that a battle.net process would involve the GPU like that.
90 Undead Mage
Wow, a Blue response. Thanks very much for noticing us!

...If you correct the problem with that thread in the process, the overheating issue will be solved...we have tested it and this solution, if I'm understanding it, is enough for me. As long as nothing else is broken in the process.

Anyway, Omegal, you don't seem to understand, so let me try an analogous approach:

The human heart can pump at an elevated rate, to meet increased demands. It's designed to function that way. If we walk up the stairs every day, and our heart rate is relaxed, we consider ourselves healthy. But, if one day, we walk up the same stairs and our heart starts pounding and racing uncontrollably, we would INSTANTLY know that something was wrong.

Then, if we went to the doctor, and they said "It's normal for heart rate to increase when walking upstairs", we would be upset.

This is what you're doing to us by disregarding our whole experience and familiarity with these machines, we KNOW they run hot. We use them for many hours a day, and believe me, WE KNOW. We also KNOW that now they're running MUCH, MUCH HOTTER.

In every single one of your posts, you have essentially said NOTHING but "Macbook Pros get hot" in a lot of words. Kindly stop if you have nothing useful to contribute.
08/30/2012 08:59 AMPosted by Omegal
I still don't think a computer overheating can ever be an applications fault. computer hardware is SUPPOSED to be designed to run at max load in it's design, otherwise what's the point of the computer? If a professional uses a mac to do professional work all day, it'll be at this kind of load all day.

I think this is the first time I've flat out disagreed with you.

Hardly any appliance made today is designed to run at 100% for the duration of it's life. If they were, we'd have plasma TVs that lasted longer than 6 years. In fact, the average lifetime of any household appliance is significantly shorter than it was 30 years ago. Look at any appliance made from 1920 to 1990, a lot of people still have old TVs or dishwashers that STILL RUN to this day. The average lifespan of TODAY's appliances? 3-7 years. Very rarely will they last longer than that.

They're made to sit idle until used. And even then, CPU's are NOT designed to run at 100% of it's possible load. That's just their limit, 100% (read, 400% in Activity Monitor) is the absolute maximum that that chip is physically capable of. How would you like to run at 20mph for 6+ hours straight? Wouldn't you be sore afterwards?

CPU's are designed to run at maybe 75-80% when in use, and sit idly for the majority of it's life. Unless you WANT to blow it out within 3 years.

I recently had my own laptop repaired, it was taken apart, cleaned out, and had it's entire logic board, including the CPU and GPU replaced. These are brand new parts. The WORST thing I could do to them right now is run them at max, with temperatures inside the casing wildly fluctuating before they got broken in.

I agree that Apple shares a lot of the blame in making the enclosure the way they did, but I haven't used a laptop in recent years, Mac OR PC, where temps didn't reach these levels under load. Apple is NOT the only one at fault here. They're given the load specs by the hardware vendor, and are allowed to build enclosures to fit that umbrella based on average use.

Given that, developers should make certain that their apps don't make the CPU run at 100% load, ESPECIALLY when it's a program that's KNOWN to be run for 3-6 hours at a time by it's userbase. I personally love the Mac devs and blues we have here, but if you've been here a long time like a lot of us regulars have been, it becomes very obvious that the internal culture at Blizzard has changed dramatically in the last couple years.

It's fairly obvious to me that the Mac and PC devs are being stretched way too thin at Blizzard. Someone at a higher level is forcing them to spend less time actually developing and fixing bugs and more time on something else, and WoW, D3, and SC2 are suffering for it.
Edited by Stormtides on 8/30/2012 3:39 PM PDT
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]