5.0.4 Performance Issue (Similar to D3 Beta)

(Locked)

90 Undead Warlock
I just want to acknowledge the issue raised by Growltiger, a fix will be included in a future patch. We will do our best to deliver this patch asap when it's ready. We are sorry for the inconvenience that this is causing.

We hope that this will solve the overheating issue but we can't be sure since we have problems reproducing that issue.

Thank you. Also thanks again to Growltiger, Upgrade and everyone else for keeping this thread on topic and focused.
90 Undead Mage
Thank YOU Lickmee.
85 Human Priest
Your welcome
90 Worgen Warrior
That's great about the overheating, but there are many in this thread also complaining about suddenly very low FPS rates. What's being done about that? I played the beta just fine, but when the patch went live, I can't enter combat (even for a duel with 1 person) without bottoming out to 2-3 fps.
90 Night Elf Druid
08/30/2012 11:33 AMPosted by Arenvald
Mackhan replied to my thread about a dock hiding bug (which is irritating but not as bad as this issue) and I tried to point him back over to this thread. Don't know if it'll work or not, but here's hoping.

Funny only because I reported that bug in the first week of beta.
- Technical Support
90 Human Priest
08/31/2012 12:24 AMPosted by Møjojojo
That's great about the overheating, but there are many in this thread also complaining about suddenly very low FPS rates. What's being done about that? I played the beta just fine, but when the patch went live, I can't enter combat (even for a duel with 1 person) without bottoming out to 2-3 fps.

Have you checked to make sure all of your addons are up to date? The first thing I'd do is turn on LUA error displaying in the game preferences so you can see whether or not the client is choking on thousands upon thousands of LUA errors. When a patch comes out, 90% of the time it's out of date addons with deprecated code that cause these slowdowns.

For example, anything with GetActiveTalentGroup() changed to GetActiveSpecGroup(), and if the addon is designed to monitor and perform actions based on when you switch specs, it'll throw out errors like crazy (RatingBuster does this because its LibDualSpec1.0 library is out of date and must be updated manually). Another example is anything using the RangedSlot paper doll location - if those addons aren't updated, they'll fire off errors nonstop until they're disabled.

Edit: Made it more readable and fixed a typo.
Edited by Tiapriestess on 8/31/2012 1:50 AM PDT
90 Blood Elf Paladin
If there is at all a "laymen's terms" way of guiding some of us through the workaround (I've read through it a couple times myself...still not quite sure >_<) ...before blizzard can patch this so the rest of us are not at risk of such severe overheating issues while still being able to play safely in the meantime...that would be awesome. Otherwise, I guess I can be patient.

Also, wanted to note: I took my mid-2011 MacBook pro in to the genius bar this afternoon and they did a full interior/exterior vacuum and clean for me, free of charge. (it was like a car wash ^_^) Significantly boosted fps when I managed to log in again, seeing as it had been over half a year since I had done it last. I'd suggest this to anybody who might be having heat (or fps) issues as a side-fix as well, as we await the real fix. :)

Oh, and thanks to Growltiger and the people working to find this silly battle.net allocator thread that's running wild. You all rock.
100 Worgen Druid
Honestly, if you can't follow what's been said so far, you should probably leave it alone. Not being snarky, it's just fairly technical and if you're not already comfortable with command-lines, looking at debugger status dumps and such, it's just going to be frustrating. You'd also have to download a fair bit of stuff just to get started (XCode, then install the command-line tools).

It's unlikely you'd actually damage anything, at worst you'll crash the WoW client and have to restart it, I just think it would be very frustrating for you if you've already had trouble with what I've said earlier.
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I had Xcode installed already, was just hoping to be pointed in the right direction from there. No big deal, just wanted to see if it was even possible.
MVP - Technical Support
100 Human Warrior
08/31/2012 12:48 AMPosted by Felinae
Funny only because I reported that bug in the first week of beta.

I'm sure they had more pressing issues to deal with though. Asside from this cpu thread issue, which is understandably easy to miss (cause when they QA something, they fire it up and see if it runs, all functions work, and it's not crashing, I don't suspect they really stress test it like a gamer would for hours on end though, or they wouldn't ever code anything :) ). They really did a good job cleaning up the huge list of mac issues during the crunch time though, remember how big the mac issues list was about 10 builds ago? macros not working, addons not workingm, crashes that only affected, mac, etc. They shrank that list to almost nil. Give the devs more props.

I think D3's launch really pulled a lot of time from MoP beta work. beta sat in a standstill of zero progress for several weeks following D3's launch because D3 needed all hands on deck to fix some major issues of it's own. Things seem to be smoothing out again though with 5.0.4 finally shipped, D3 is fairly good shape (not perfect, it still stutters like stammering geek on his first date, ever. But coming along anyways). All they gotta do now is give 5.x a little bugfix patch then they can take on the next challenge: HoTS beta :)

08/31/2012 12:24 AMPosted by Møjojojo
That's great about the overheating, but there are many in this thread also complaining about suddenly very low FPS rates. What's being done about that?

I suspect the fix will go hand in hand with both. cpu that's wasted frivolously means less cpu used on actual important tasks, like keeping fps up. Hopefully next patch will address that for you too.
Although, do bare in mind, if you didn't port your config.wtf from 4.x to 5.x, and leave your settings at "custom" in new client version, your settings will never match old settings again. Reason w hy, the sliders were retuned. I can tell you from my own internal testing, 5.xes fair is like 20% more detailed then fair of old. for example, the old farclip value of "fair" on 4.x was like 670 or something. However, on 5.x, its 800. so side by side comparison you'd notice you can see further on 5.x client on fair then you could on 4.x, but it also means it's more demanding. This translates into the settings not being equivilent at all. It's an important thing to note when comparing before and after fps. that's why the best fps comparison is done by those that did not touch graphics settings on iniitial load of patch, then those sliders will say "custom" because they will still be at their pre patch 5.x values until moved.
Edited by Omegal on 8/31/2012 5:42 AM PDT
- Technical Support
90 Human Priest
It isn't just the CPU getting hit here Omegal, it's the GPU as well. My GPU (the 5870 I have installed) jumps to 100% unless I kill that errant thread. Then it falls back to 40-55% like it should be. Imagine though, the GPU in a MB/MBP/iMac getting cranked to 100% load. It'd overheat the computer in no time flat. That is where the heat is coming from. It's also likely where the FPS drop is coming from as well, since the GPU is being tied up by a frivolous process. The CPU, despite the increased percentage used (again frivolously) still has room to do more in most cases even on laptops. The GPU, being pegged at 100%, has no headroom at all, thus, the drop in framerates.

Under normal circumstances, with my Mac Pro's fans at 1000 RPMs, the video card's fan never needs to ramp up as the incoming air is relatively cool, thus cools the card quite nicely on its own. This patch though, causes the 5870's fan to go into high gear, and lemme tell you, it sounds like a jet engine when that happens.
90 Human Paladin
Just an update on my front

I am not sure what if anything has happened BUT I am fine now.

Macbook Air 2012 - 2.5 weeks old.

I use smcFanControl and it keeps between 167f and 185f no matter what I am doing. Also the CPU via Activity Monitor ranges from 95% to 140% on the high end.

I think this is okay - can anyone let me know if this is "normal".
90 Orc Shaman
That's still really high.
90 Human Paladin
08/31/2012 07:22 AMPosted by Stormtides
That's still really high.

The temp or the CPU use?
90 Dwarf Priest
checkin in. as of last night, i logged on, and downloaded some temp check addons. never really got higher than 102 in 25m with recount, dbm, and spellflash running.

to be fair i dont think most have 16gb ddr3 on an i7 so maybe that helps. however i know it was overheating the night the patch dropped. my understanding from the thread argument is that the way the threading works in the processor, its a random event that will happen when initializing the game that may trigger the overheating process?

also, rolling restarts this morning. is that how the issue would be fixed?
- Technical Support
90 Human Priest
checkin in. as of last night, i logged on, and downloaded some temp check addons. never really got higher than 102 in 25m with recount, dbm, and spellflash running.

to be fair i dont think most have 16gb ddr3 on an i7 so maybe that helps. however i know it was overheating the night the patch dropped. my understanding from the thread argument is that the way the threading works in the processor, its a random event that will happen when initializing the game that may trigger the overheating process?

also, rolling restarts this morning. is that how the issue would be fixed?

Temp check addons? Do share (assuming you mean in-game addons). As for the fix for this issue, it's a client side issue and thus needs a patch to fix.
90 Human Paladin
SO what is the baseline we should be looking for?

CPU should be at what levels?

Temp should be at what levels, both C and F?
- Technical Support
90 Human Priest

CPU should, under normal circumstances run 140-170% with the occasional spike to 200% I expect a roughly 30% increase to those norms once we get into the MoP areas where the textures are much more detailed. But even that's a far cry below the 260% I'm seeing today.

You want to keep your temps below 185°F if you can. Preferrably below 175°F. What's causing the increase in temperatures is less CPU and more GPU, since the problem thread is forcing the GPU to run at max load needlessly.
90 Human Paladin

CPU should, under normal circumstances run 140-170% with the occasional spike to 200% I expect a roughly 30% increase to those norms once we get into the MoP areas where the textures are much more detailed. But even that's a far cry below the 260% I'm seeing today.

You want to keep your temps below 185°F if you can. Preferrably below 175°F. What's causing the increase in temperatures is less CPU and more GPU, since the problem thread is forcing the GPU to run at max load needlessly.

Thanks friend!
MVP - Technical Support
100 Human Warrior
08/31/2012 08:13 AMPosted by Tiapriestess

I don't know if i'd really quantify this is accurate. honestly, it SHOULD run 400% on an 8 core system, with 50% load spread across 8 cores. but it doesn't. it maxes 1 core out and maybe a 2nd one. which causes significantly more strain then 400% would spread across all 8. the % just creates an inaccurate perception of what should or shouldn't be. It's just the combined core usage percentage and nothing more. You can't really say what's a proper value cause for every system, depending on number of cores, it differs.

200% on a 2 core system is, well, all of it. that may be excess.

200% is not crap on a mac pro. I can have 3 wows open at same time at 200% and still have cpu to spare for other programs.

I do live for the day though that wow can benefit from the threading of more then 2 cores. I'd really like to see it use 8. unfortunately, i do know the blizz developers cannot control how much gets threaded to each core, that's actually done by OS X, so really, on an 8 core system, running 2 cores at 100% instead of spreading it better, is more of an OS X being dumb. at least in windows you can tweak the hell out of way cores thread and greatly increase performance in some cases by doing so. OS X really doesn't allow that luxury, and i have always disliked how OS X handles multi core systems. :\

I live for the day too, where 1 wow could run great, instead of mediocre, and launching 2 more wows run just as mediocre, without even slowing down the first one. This has always truly demonstrated how poor cpu usage (be it OS Xes fault or wows dated multi threading code), how a system, which has the specs to run the game great, doesn't run it great. NOthing i hate more then fps tanking in 25 mans because wow is sitting in CPU wait state waiting on the 2 cores it's using to process data, while 6 cores are completely idle with no work to do. :(
Edited by Omegal on 8/31/2012 8:37 AM PDT
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]