5.0.4 Performance Issue (Similar to D3 Beta)

(Locked)

100 Orc Shaman
08/28/2012 01:17 PMPosted by Machkhan
The only problem is the CPU usage after 5.0.4 update.Thats all in my case.

In speaking with S4d1k, this is normal. If you wish to reduce the CPU usage, you can limit your FPS in-game with the Max Foreground FPS option under System>Advanced.

So my CPU temps are going to be in the 180ºF's to 190ºF's the entire expansion? Oh heck no. I JUST got the Logic board on this thing replaced because of an issue with the graphics switching. I'm not frying my CPU for WoW too.
Blizzard Employee
08/28/2012 01:23 PMPosted by Stormtides
So my CPU temps are going to be in the 180ºF's to 190ºF's the entire expansion? Oh heck no. I JUST got the Logic board on this thing replaced because of an issue with the graphics switching. I'm not frying my CPU for WoW too.

I'll inquire about it with S4d1k to double-check.
1 Blood Elf Priest
08/28/2012 01:17 PMPosted by Machkhan
The only problem is the CPU usage after 5.0.4 update.Thats all in my case.

In speaking with S4d1k, this is normal. If you wish to reduce the CPU usage, you can limit your FPS in-game with the Max Foreground FPS option under System>Advanced.

Thank you for your reply.

I guess its a "working as intended"... Then I guess all I can do is request an optimization =(
BTW, I did try out adjusting the FPS sliders.
But nothing changes(CPU usage wise).

I'm guessing you're running WoW on a Mac too since you're a blue on the Mac tech forums.
If so, please test this.

1. Launch WoW and press the big "Play Button".
2. Don't log in let it stay at the login screen.
3. Check OSX's Activity Monitor to check out CPU usage. (Mine is around 104%)
4. Try setting the Graphic settings to the lowest.
5. Also move both FPS sliders to the lowest you can. (I know this make it unplayable, but just for testing.)
5.Press "Apply".

In my case, the CPU usage still stays around 100%
Blizzard Employee
I spoke with S4d1k more about this. The temps shouldn't be this high. This means something else is going on that may be causing the temps to be this high.

You may want to try a few suggestions from our overheating prevention article: http://us.battle.net/support/en/article/preventing-overheating-for-cpugraphics-card-mac
Edited by Machkhan on 8/28/2012 1:36 PM PDT
100 Orc Shaman
Well, I don't know about you, but ANY Macbook Pro I have ever used since they went Intel has always, when pushed to it's limits at max usage, averaged at 216ºF. This is above boiling temperature. Every Macbook Pro I have ever used has done this, be it my own or in a store display setting.

I shouldn't have have to tell you Macbooks run hot. And if we're seeing this kind of usage on the login screen, you'll be losing a lot more Mac customers than just the 10.5 users.

Edit: I sent a CPU sample process to "macsupport@blizzard.com".
Edited by Stormtides on 8/28/2012 1:43 PM PDT
1 Blood Elf Priest
I do really want an optimization for Macs,
but in the mean time if you want to lower your CPU/GPU temps,
you can use a fan control app. (Yes your MBP will sound like jet though...)

I use smcFanControl on my 2011 Late MBP and set a specific rpm value to make the fans spin at a static rate.
During Cata, I personally made multiple settings, since processor usage differs when you're just questing or in a 25man raid. (3500rpm during raids)
But after 5.0.4, I think I would need to set the fans at 5500rpm constantly ...
Keep in mind that running fans at high rpm constantly will make them wear out faster than normal usage.
Blizzard Employee
08/28/2012 01:38 PMPosted by Stormtides
Edit: I sent a CPU sample process to "macsupport@blizzard.com".

I'll get this over to the team to review.
90 Blood Elf Priest
Mine is holding steady at 104% :(
90 Blood Elf Priest
Processor 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Memory 12 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
Software Mac OS X Lion 10.7.4 (11E53)
Forgot to add that bit...
100 Orc Shaman
I should probably note that I wiped my hard drive and did a fresh install of 10.8 Mountain Lion when I upgraded the OS, and did the same with WoW. Fresh install.
Blizzard Employee
Limiting the FPS should make a huge difference in game. At the login screen, you won't see a big difference.

Remember that if you have 4 cores and the CPU usage is 100%, this means that WoW is using 25% of the CPU, which is really low. The GPU also generates more heat than the CPU normally.

To maximize performance, we need to use all the power that is available so we aim to use 100% of all cores and 100% GPU. You can limit this usage by limiting the FPS.
90 Troll Druid
I too am having this problem, pre patch it was fine my fans only spun a lot when in org or a high foliage area but since this patch (which updated smoothly) the login screen shows a 104% usage and my macbook fans start to spin like crazy.

I have an early 2011 15 inch macbook pro, 2.2ghz quad core i7, 10.8.1 OSX mountain lion and 8gb RAM.

I had no problems running wow previously before 5.0.
1 Blood Elf Priest
Mine is holding steady at 104% :(

Processor 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Memory 12 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
Software Mac OS X Lion 10.7.4 (11E53)
Forgot to add that bit...

I wrote the following in my previous post,
08/28/2012 12:59 PMPosted by Akuseligg
I guess currently WoW hogs a single core right after its launched no matter what PC (CPU) your using =/

but I think I'm positive now seeing screenshots and reports from different users using different Macs all displaying the same CPU usage.
I personally tested it with a 2.8GHz Xeon and a 2.4GHz i7.
Other users have different Macs too, but we all have "100% CPU usage (a full single core)" right after we boot WoW(at the login screen).

All I can think of is from 5.0.4, WoW allocates a whole single core(100%) right away no matter what kind of CPU you're using, which I think is inefficient.
Edited by Akuseligg on 8/28/2012 2:11 PM PDT
1 Blood Elf Priest
Limiting the FPS should make a huge difference in game. At the login screen, you won't see a big difference.

Remember that if you have 4 cores and the CPU usage is 100%, this means that WoW is using 25% of the CPU, which is really low. The GPU also generates more heat than the CPU normally.

To maximize performance, we need to use all the power that is available so we aim to use 100% of all cores and 100% GPU. You can limit this usage by limiting the FPS.

Thank you for your reply.

I'll be sure to test the fps slider in-game too after the maintenance is over.
Hope it does make a difference in CPU usage...

And yes I'm aware that 100% means "a whole single core" used.
Blizzard Employee
100% doesn't necessary mean a full single core. It could be 50%/20%/20%/10%.
WoW also doesn't decide which core is used, OSX chooses which thread is running on which core.
Edited by S4d1k on 8/28/2012 2:17 PM PDT
100 Orc Shaman
I installed the new SMCFanControl for Mountain Lion, cranked the fans to max, and CPU temps are now hovering around 175ºF.

Not great, but I'm not panicking about frying the CPU anymore.
1 Blood Elf Priest
WoW also doesn't decide which core is used, OSX chooses which thread is running on which core.

AH, sorry.
I edited (deleted) my previous post(this post) and writing over it.
I read it over again and know what your saying know. Sorry =/
Edited by Akuseligg on 8/28/2012 2:32 PM PDT
100 Orc Shaman

Well my Activity Monitor CPU graphs(the green graphs displayed beside the main window) are constantly hitting the ceiling for a specific core and is always at 100% usage in the Activity Window.
And by 100%, I'm not talking about the CPUs maximum capability.
Activity Monitor displays 100% when a single core of a CPU is being used to its maximum.
So If a CPU had 8cores, 800% would be the maximum usage in Activity Monitor.

I think what he meant is that 100% could be 25% usage across 4 cores, or 50% across 2 cores. It doesn't have to mean 100% of a single core.
1 Blood Elf Priest

Well my Activity Monitor CPU graphs(the green graphs displayed beside the main window) are constantly hitting the ceiling for a specific core and is always at 100% usage in the Activity Window.
And by 100%, I'm not talking about the CPUs maximum capability.
Activity Monitor displays 100% when a single core of a CPU is being used to its maximum.
So If a CPU had 8cores, 800% would be the maximum usage in Activity Monitor.

I think what he meant is that 100% could be 25% usage across 4 cores, or 50% across 2 cores. It doesn't have to mean 100% of a single core.

Yeah I dunno why, but I finally noticed that after I submitted my post =/
So I edited(deleted) it and wrote an apology.. =(
But thanks for the input =)
85 Blood Elf Warrior
about an hour ago i was able to open the game but not yet enter any realm (as expected with the maintenance messages), but now when i try to open wow i get a checking for updates window and then an error, anyone having this problem?
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]