5.0.4 Performance Issue (Similar to D3 Beta)

(Locked)

90 Blood Elf Death Knight
I have my graphics set to low, my FPS @20. Not running in high res video either.
Still pegging my CPU @ 107º C - and as others have said - this is just sitting idle in Org.
I use smc fan control and have fan set @ max (6200) always.

2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo / OSX10.6.8
This ran @ 70-73ºC prior to this patch

Full specs you requested:
Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro5,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
Boot ROM Version: MBP51.007E.B06
SMC Version (system): 1.41f2
Sudden Motion Sensor:
State: Enabled

Sorry Blizz, wow is not worth melting a $2k+ laptop.
Edited by Serpento on 8/28/2012 3:46 PM PDT
Support Forum Agent
08/28/2012 03:18 PMPosted by Myrothus
about an hour ago i was able to open the game but not yet enter any realm (as expected with the maintenance messages), but now when i try to open wow i get a checking for updates window and then an error, anyone having this problem?

Please post in a new thread, as this thread is dedicated to CPU% inquiries.
Support Forum Agent
I have my graphics set to low, my FPS @20. Still pegging my CPU @ 107º C.
Sorry, wow is not worth frying a $2.6K computer.

What are your system specs?

Obtaining System Information
    1. Hold the 'Option' Key and choose System Profiler/Information from the Apple Menu.

2. Copy the information from the following sections:
  • Hardware (remove the Serial Number line)
  • Graphics/Displays
  • Software (remove the Computer Name and User Name lines)

You may want to review the overheating prevention article, as you can have high CPU usage and still have lower temps: http://us.battle.net/support/en/article/preventing-overheating-for-cpugraphics-card-mac
Posted specs above, ty for reply. All the recs on your link for avoiding overheating I have already been doing. No flash, no apps running, solid surface, using HeatShift thermal pad, etc etc.
You can see the rest above.
1 Blood Elf Priest
I tried adjusting the fps sliders in game.
I limited it to 29fps, but the CPU usage does not change.
As a matter of fact the CPU usage stays around 100% in-game, but the temp is rising a lot more than the log in screen.
Probably the GPU kicking in. It sometimes goes over 85º C even if I set the fans at 5500rpm....
(And I periodically clean inside my MBP by opening it up. so its clean.)

I wonder how 5.0.4 would perform on Bootcamp(Windows version) on the same Mac.
Video and Software specs:
NVIDIA GeForce 9400M:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce 9400M
Type: GPU
Bus: PCI
VRAM (Total): 256 MB
Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
Device ID: 0x0863
Revision ID: 0x00b1
ROM Revision: 3437
gMux Version: 1.7.3
Displays:
Display Connector:
Cinema HD Display:
Resolution: 1920 x 1200
Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Rotation: Supported
Adapter Type: Mini DisplayPort To Dual-Link DVI Adapter
Adapter Firmware Version: 1.02

Software:
System Version: Mac OS X 10.6.8 (10K549)
Kernel Version: Darwin 10.8.0
Boot Volume: Macintosh HD
Boot Mode: Normal
Computer Name:
User Name:
Secure Virtual Memory: Enabled
64-bit Kernel and Extensions: No
Time since boot: 1:57
90 Troll Druid
Hello once again, After the realms came online i logged in and it ran fine but the temperature is extremely high when playing! it gets almost too hot to touch!

My macbook gets extremely hot very quickly within 3 mins of playing it gets noticeably hot around the top of the laptop, im worried it may even overheat and crash.

I had this same problem at the launch of Diablo 3 too.

The overheating prevention methods provided did nothing to lower the temps.
FYI - I did try resetting the SMC.
It did not help. As of now I am unable to enjoy 5.0.4, as CPU usage is 144%+ and CPU temp are above 105º, even using all of the heat-mitigating suggestions.
90 Orc Hunter
Early 2011 MacBook Pro running 10.8.1 OSX

Temps running VERY HIGH. My fans are running full speed all the time since patching to 5.0.4
I have turned the FPS down to 20FPS and turned the graphics down to LOW. Fans still running 100% all the time. This was not the case before the patch. I had the same problem with the Diablo III Beta before they fixed it.
Odd, I have been using them (2of them) for the last 4 years.
They hover around 60-65ºC / 140-149ºF, and only hit 70ºC / 158ºF if I am running multiple Adobe (photoshop/indd) and Office apps.
90 Orc Warrior
I too am having CPU issues.

Prior to 5.0 I could run with 60-70% cpu usage, fine by me, and i was around 160 degrees (Fahrenheit) constantly. Now even with graphics set lowest possible, and framerate capped I am rocking 95-100% CPU usage and 190ish degrees. Fans are maxed. So is this a upgraded graphics (in-game) issue? or is this a bug/issues with 5.0?
100 Dwarf Paladin
As stupid as this sounds, I had the same exact kind of issues and I tried all sorts of things - reset the UI, check drivers, etc. Then I decided to restart my computer - out of who knows why - and all my problems were solved. My frame rate is back, game runs great.

I hope the solution is that simple for any and all who are having issues!
Blizzard Employee
Rebooting your computer is always good. It can solve many problems.
100 Human Warlock
I am likewise experiencing the same issue, and Blizzard's response so far is extremely aggravating.

08/28/2012 05:54 PMPosted by S4d1k
Rebooting your computer is always good. It can solve many problems.

It's comments like this that make me the angriest.

When you see a major performance regression from pre-patch to post-patch and the basics have been tried (clean out cache, disable addons, reset SMC, etc), then that is most certainly not normal, and should not be portrayed as such. This is a bug. I don't mind it not being fixed yet, but I do want to see it acknowledged for what it is.

It is very rare (even in a game like WoW) for a graphics intensive program to hit the CPU so hard. Seeing 100% CPU on the login screen (when the CPU should be doing next to nothing - not even on the network or loading addons yet) means you have single-threaded code running in a tight loop - probably busy waiting, polling, or a similar routine is running amok.

Any developer will tell you when you see a program hit 100% of CPU almost exactly on a multicore system, that means single-threaded code is running as fast as it possibly can. Multithreaded code would consume all cores and look like 200%, 400%, etc, depending on how many cores you have. Sometimes you want all cores used - video transcoding for instance, which is extremely CPU intensive. Sitting at a login screen and seeing the same behavior is a bug, and the CPU usage has nothing to do with graphics, frame rate, etc.

I'm running a 2010 MacBook Pro with dedicated graphics, 8GB memory, SSD, on Mac OS X 10.8.1. I'm seeing the same thing in both 32-bit and 64-bit modes. I've likewise performed all of the recommended troubleshooting steps, and no change. Observing this on two computers (I also have a Mac Mini 2011 with integrated graphics), and also on the MoP beta. Yesterday my CPU usage was negligible; today it's 100% on the login screen and 180% in game. Limiting FPS does not change this (because FPS rarely has anything to do with the CPU - that's all GPU bound).

We now have dozens of reports across desktops, laptops, Lion, Mountain Lion, 32-bit, 64-bit, 5.0.4, MoP beta - in a nutshell, it's a Mac client specific issue, and it's not tied to a specific hardware, graphics, or local setting/account configuration. It doesn't get much more clear cut.

Until this is fixed, WoW is a complete non-starter for me - it's frying my computer.
Edited by Htaed on 8/28/2012 6:40 PM PDT
85 Undead Priest
As a Tech Support Director of large software company that supports more platforms than we should I agree with your technical assessment. I also understand that although many but not I guess not all people are seeing this behavior (including the support folks) that Developers need to be reigned in a bit sometimes! :) We'll get there.

Seriously though there almost certainly a "bug" on the log in screen. This was an issue in D3 as well until they fixed it...but as I recall in D3 once you logged in and loaded the game things were "normal".

The real problem here is the consumption of CPU while in the game, pegging CPU cores and it seems specific to MACs and a wide variety of models and OS. Adjusting the graphics settings doesn't work in fact my CPU average actually increased for a good bit after turning everything to the lowest setting.

All my friends logged now are using PC's....in fact similar specced CPUs and are sitting between 5% and 20% CPU utilization running around the same areas of the city as I am.

Even with a software engineering background it's hard to sit on the outside and diagnose the problem...it's probably going to be something "silly" though. The executables don't seem to be abnormally large (i.e. with debug symbols) but maybe some internal debugging was left in for example...who knows....but there is clearly an issue.

Blizz Support, if you want to contact me directly I am happy to run some debugging iterations on my machine with you or if there is anything else I can do to help please let me know.
90 Orc Hunter
I thought the reboot idea was credible so I tried it. There was no change. Still running full blast even in areas of the game where nothing is happening (out in the middle of The Barrens). I have also found, as others have mentioned, the graphics settings don't seem to have any affect on the problem. Even with everything turned down all the way it still runs fast and hot.
90 Human Priest
I'm having the same problem with the temperature. I have a Macbook Pro that I got like a month ago.

Like someone else said, CPU usage is at 104% on login screen or w/e, but I never looked before today so I'm not sure what it normally is at, and I forgot to see what it was at while I was actually playing
I have my settings the same as yesterday but the temperature increased a lot, although I'm not having any difference in FPS like someone else said I think (I have it capped at 40.) Prior to today I was running smcfancontrol at 3000rpm and even with WoW open + multiple other things like safari, etc. it never got above ~65°C. When I opened up WoW after the patch it climbed all the way to 80-83°C and at that point I turned the fan speed up to 4000rpm because I felt it get really hot and it scared me lol :C Now it hovers around 70-75°C when I'm playing wow, and once I close it it shoots all the way back down to around 40-45°C

I don't know much about computrs :)~ but here are the specs

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro9,2
Processor Name: Intel Core i5
Processor Speed: 2.5 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 2
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Boot ROM Version: MBP91.00D3.B06
SMC Version (system): 2.2f38
Serial Number (system): -
Hardware UUID: B9A43327-B02B-5998-A655-21EE62EAC48F
Sudden Motion Sensor:
State: Enabled

Intel HD Graphics 4000:

Chipset Model: Intel HD Graphics 4000
Type: GPU
Bus: Built-In
VRAM (Total): 384 MB
Vendor: Intel (0x8086)
Device ID: 0x0166
Revision ID: 0x0009
Displays:
Color LCD:
Display Type: LCD
Resolution: 1280 x 800
Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Built-In: Yes

System Software Overview:

System Version: OS X 10.8.1 (12B19)
Kernel Version: Darwin 12.1.0
Boot Volume: Macintosh HD
Boot Mode: Normal
Computer Name: Caitlin’s MacBook Pro
User Name: -
Secure Virtual Memory: Enabled
Time since boot: 1:18
Blizzard Employee
I didn't mean to say that rebooting would solve all problems but it is easy to try. We take all performance issue threads seriously.

The performance issue is already being investigated.

For performance issues, there's always multiple causes so we need to try multiple solutions.
Some of you may have tried the basics but it might help others.

I'm sorry if I irritated anyone, I was just trying to help.
Same problem here - Early 2011 13" i5 Macbook Pro. Fans constantly running and the machine is over-heating. I've followed all of the suggestions in the thread, cleared cache, limited frame-rate, low graphics settings, clean fans, etc... without relief. Game is unplayable without causing physical damage.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]