5.0.4 Performance Issue (Similar to D3 Beta)

(Locked)

90 Human Warlock
I've used the workaround posted here successfully (although I had other problems with smcFanControl--startup files started crashing every Mac-native program).

What I'm concerned about is warning people. Honestly, this is a serious enough issue that it should be on the login screen, with simple instructions on how to tell if your computer is at risk. Yes, there should be an immediate fix, yadda yadda--but we should be reconciled to the fact that there won't be. (For many reasons, most good and probably some less so.) At the least, though, frying computers should be on the login screen before broken quests.

Simple crisis management, folks: take the hit early and work to solve the problem. If you wait to take the hit, it will hurt more and do more lasting damage. Start now before that Reddit thread turns into an urban legend about WoW melting Macs all over the place.
90 Troll Druid
09/05/2012 08:38 AMPosted by Temenon
frying computers should be on the login screen before broken quests.
- Technical Support
90 Human Priest
09/05/2012 08:38 AMPosted by Temenon
I've used the workaround posted here successfully (although I had other problems with smcFanControl--startup files started crashing every Mac-native program).

smcFanControl is an application. The only thing that occurs at startup is a script that points to that application and starts it up. If something's crashing your other apps, you might want to check those console logs - smcFanControl doesn't crash anything unless a) it has a memory leak, which it shouldn't since that was fixed a few updates ago, or b) you have something else also trying to wrest control of the SMC controller away from smcFC.
90 Tauren Druid
09/05/2012 08:59 AMPosted by Fluffybunz
frying computers should be on the login screen before broken quests.

This. Why isn't something so detrimental to player's machines not on the login screen? It really should be. At least then we'd have the choice of ruining our computers, instead of "oh yeah, this bug on our end has been frying your computer for a week or two now, surprise!" I really don't mean to be sarcastic with that remark, but it seems really wrong of Blizzard to NOT warn their customers of this potential problem.
90 Gnome Warrior
For what it's worth, last night I saw 150ºF temps and 110% core usage.

I still think both of those numbers are too high, BUT... only about four days ago, I was seeing 175º temps and 175% core usage, so something is happening. It's not good enough, but I do think something somewhere has changed, and at least I don't think my machine is going to melt if I cycle my DMF quests.
90 Human Warlock
Blizzard's terms of use and conditions has recently changed as of tonight.

Quite disappointing, but if the game is frying computers, word will get out and people will stop playing altogether - so the money saved in the short term by avoiding recompense to those who can't play or who have sustained damage to their machines will be a drop in the bucket compared to longterm losses.

I think the changes the terms of use and conditions indicate this is a far deeper problem then just macs. In fact there are a handful of reports of PCs running Windows having the same 100%+ CPU use = high heat issues surfacing.

"My gaming tower which has clocked 400 hours of Skyrim on very high settings has shut down to a black screen twice since this patch. It is not a Mac. My friend's computer also started overheating since the patch." (japith, Wowinsider comments)

I am having this problem now, when I open the game my CPU shoots up to 100% and not only does the login screen lag horribly (-1fps), my desktop and start menu do too (takes nearly 15 seconds for the taskbar to pop out when my mouse hits the edge of the screen)...OS: Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit( http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6412493648?page=8#156 )

Intel i5-750 processor, 8GB Corsair RAM, Nvidia GTS450 video card and Windows 7 Home Premium OS. -- High CPU Usage by: World of Warcraft Beta" ( http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/4857226172 ) Please note the date on that post: 5/6/2012 nearly 5 months ago!

So this CPU bug is not just a Mac issue but is happening on the Windows side as well! I think it is because you have much higher percentage of tower designs in the PC world that this bug was as noticeable there as it is in the Mac world where All-in-one design is the defacto rule.
Edited by Necronmaxima on 9/5/2012 11:51 AM PDT
90 Gnome Warrior
Does anyone actually know what the changes are/were? I mean, it's easy to assume they added a line saying 'we aren't responsible if your machine slags down' but while we all saw the window pop up, did anyone actually read it?
- Technical Support
90 Human Priest
09/05/2012 11:46 AMPosted by Arenvald
Does anyone actually know what the changes are/were? I mean, it's easy to assume they added a line saying 'we aren't responsible if your machine slags down' but while we all saw the window pop up, did anyone actually read it?

I never even got a window to pop up on my client. Weird.
85 Blood Elf Hunter
EULA # 11 Saying they not responsible for anything that happens to your computer, PERIOD! And it's all capitalized, lol!
90 Human Warlock
EULA # 11 Saying they not responsible for anything that happens to your computer, PERIOD! And it's all capitalized, lol!

LOL

I guess they started to get nervous. Couldn't expect less of them. But even if they state it there to avoid legal repercussions, doesn't meant that they are not responsible, because they ARE.
MVP - Technical Support
90 Draenei Mage
09/05/2012 11:46 AMPosted by Arenvald

I posted about the changes here :

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6490560313#10

Basically there's a slight change due to a changed American Law. There's also a slight change due to a changed Australian Law.

Neither of which have anything to do with what you guys are thinking. The clause stating the player is responsible for his/her own hardware's ability to play wow was in there before the Update.

I extracted the one from the 4.3.4 MPQ files and compared them line by line.
MVP - Technical Support
90 Draenei Mage

09/05/2012 01:08 PMPosted by Gawddess
I guess they started to get nervous. Couldn't expect less of them. But even if they state it there to avoid legal repercussions, doesn't meant that they are not responsible, because they ARE.

This passage was not changed. It's been in there for a few years now.

It's just that the Mac Tech support team aren't hard asses about reminding everyone about it. They're not going to rack you over the coals over it and are in fact right now hard at work on an update.
If it came to court, and it was proven to be thier code that caused damage to people's machines, EULA or not, they would have a hard time defending themselves.
- Technical Support
90 Human Priest
I'm beginning to think this sums up the client devs' last week pretty well:

http://darklegacycomics.com/350.html

Narya = Client Devs
Donald = Average Joe
The guys at the bottom of the comic = half the people in this thread

*tosses the devs a 72 oz. Bubba Keg full of coffee*
MVP - Technical Support
90 Human Warrior
09/05/2012 01:37 PMPosted by Breannin
If it came to court, and it was proven to be thier code that caused damage to people's machines, EULA or not, they would have a hard time defending themselves.

not really. Unless you want to argue with court that any program that tries to use your computers max performance to performa function is found guilty of same. then you want to take just about 90% of software programs to court in process. Because you're argument is this. An app that's using 100% load on cpu and gpu is causing it to run hot, therefor, it's programs fault because your computer runs hot. That's ridiculous. You'd have to sue adobe, and everyone else while at it. The point stands. A computer is designed to work at max load, that's what it's made for. Otherwise, what would be the point anyways? It's the user and apples responsibility to ensure that while under that load, the machine remains cool. I have still seen very little evidence anything is frying but peoples tempers. so this patch made the mac run loader cause fans are kicked up a notch. Nothing more then a minor annoyance of some bad cpu/gpu code that does suck. But frying macs? if it fries, you can maybe take apple to court, but blizzard is just going to laugh you out the door.

That'd be like trying to sue folgers because your coffee pot exploded making a batch of coffee. Completely ignoring the fact, that the coffee pot is supposed to make coffee without exploding, even if you fill it to the full line. That coffee pot is desinged to make your coffee regardless if you make a full pot, or just one cup. It is exactly the same with a computer, exactly.

Blizzard will fix it ASAP, however, all they are ever going to acknowledge, or commit to fixing, is game performance, stability, and quality. They have no part in overheating machnies (assuming its even overheating and not just gross exagerations). any machines that ARE overheating, i suggest you visit an apple store asap and get it looked at, because it's not supposed to do that. You tell that "genius" to check the fans, clean out machine, check thermal paste, do whatever, and do it for free. Don't take no for an answer, especially on a macbook pro (notorious for cooling issues)
Edited by Omegal on 9/5/2012 1:55 PM PDT
90 Tauren Druid
My MacBook Pro was purchased not 6 months ago so there should not be any issue with it unless it is strange coincidence...

When I first downloaded the new patch and tried to play WoW there didn't seem to be issues, but as more content was downloaded the online experience was significantly downgraded to where I can't play more than 30 minutes without WoW crashing. I then read information regarding the heating problems so I downloaded an addon to check the temperature during the playing experience. There was definitely something going on with the temperature rising, but not more than 5-10 degrees Fahrenheit. However, now my battery shows "Service Battery" and my MacBook Pro suddenly shuts down on me. Anyone else having a similar issue?
90 Goblin Rogue
09/05/2012 01:51 PMPosted by Omegal
(assuming its even overheating and not just gross exagerations).

i would think with a thread 34 pages long and 676 posts, there would be something to all this, not simply gross exaggerations. some amazing, intelligent, and extremely helpful players have taken a lot of personal time to figure out what has been causing the issues with out of control processes causing our cpu to crank out around 4 times harder than it should or has pre 5.0.4. i would think that everyone in this forum has a mac and knows the pains that can sometimes come with it, we all understand that these machines are lacking in the cooling department.

That'd be like trying to sue folgers because your coffee pot exploded making a batch of coffee. Completely ignoring the fact, that the coffee pot is supposed to make coffee without exploding, even if you fill it to the full line. That coffee pot is desinged to make your coffee regardless if you make a full pot, or just one cup. It is exactly the same with a computer, exactly.

I'm not sure your analogy works here. Our computers would be the coffee maker. The local game on our computers would be the ground coffee. But the 'water' would be the server side client. while all of that can make a nice cup of coffee, what would happen if you never stopped filling the machine with water? That is the issue. by no means am i trying to make a case for law suit, just pointing out the flaw.

Blizzard will fix it ASAP, however, all they are ever going to acknowledge, or commit to fixing, is game performance, stability, and quality

THIS. this is "all" we want. acknowledgement that they are fixing a game that is subpar in performance, unstable, and not up to the quality it should be.
38 Undead Rogue
Has this been fixed yet or is there an ETA on a fix?

I've refrained from playing on my new MacBook Pro Retina due to this issue.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]